Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Mas,
I've been teaching people how to shoot for some time now. Since I was about 16, I've been taking new people to the range and teaching a little. I'm sure lots of folks do this and it's great. However, I've been doing it a lot lately. Mostly close friends and family, but some people aren't. Before, folks would just pay for lunch or ammo and leave with a "thank you". But lately, monetary exchanges have happened. I'm not a certified instructor, because I'm not yet even 21. I've taken safety classes, (many of which left much to be desired) and done quite a bit of shooting and instruction now. My question is: am I headed for trouble? Without any official certifications (outside of the BSA) am I looking at a potential lawsuit? Should I stop altogether? Can I continue to teach people and get compensation? Should I just help folks, but without monetary influence and just allow payment for ammo and such as before? I really don't know the ramifications or potential problems here. What do you suggest?

Always appreciated,
WVboy

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,928 Posts
Won't be a problem unless and until someone gets hurt. Might want to call NRA's training division and get their take on it, and you want to check and make sure your state doesn't have any particular licensing requirements to teach for money.

Check into joining local gun clubs, and getting involved on the training side. Become an NRA instructor as soon as you can, which among other things makes you eligible for their instructor liability insurance program.

Get hold of a good liability waiver, and have it signed by anyone you teach, including the parents of any minors you teach.

As time goes by, go to all the instructor schools you can. And other schools: even a program not geared to instructor ship will teach you useful things to pass on to others, and better ways to do it.

Good to see someone your age spreading the shooting gospel. You've always come across here as mature and logical -- I'd had no idea you were that young -- and shooting needs people like you in your age demographic to pick up the torch.

Wishing you the best of luck,
Mas

1 - 2 of 2 Posts