Featured Am I wrong for not wanting a .40??

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Bigpatallo, Oct 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Yes

252 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. No

204 vote(s)
    44.7%
  1. Bigpatallo

Bigpatallo

I'll try to make this short, I've read lots of posts on the basic firearms that everybody should own.. ,

The list can be as small as "Combat Rifle, Long Range Rifle, 12 Gauge Shotgun, and Combat Pistol" Or it could include "Compact pistol, Revolver in Magnum, rifle in .22, and pistol in .22".
    In my collection I one of each and doubled up to cover some extra calibers. So I have a combat rifle in 5.56 and 7.62x39 , and my Pistols in 9mm, .45 , And as of this Monday I finally found a .357 Magnum I liked enough to purchase.

I like that I arguably have a firearm for any SHTF event I should be able to find ammo that at least ONE of my guns will shoot. Except I don't have a .40Cal. Considering that they are easy to find cheap (LEO Trade in G22 $350ish), should I just buck up and get one when I have the money? or can I let that one slide by? I feel like there could be a random day where .40 Cal is available but 9mm or ,45 is not because of some shortage or whatever reason.

I guess this comes down to.. is .40 useless with everything else I have?

2. Chop Suey

Chop Suey

Personally I dont want a .40 cal. But theres absolutely no reason for anyone to avoid that round.

3. tager

tager

Afternoon Bigpatallo

The .40 is a fine round & will give good service.

2 points about the .40--

1)- when the gun store ammo shelf's are mostly bare I have always been able to find the .40 rounds (.40 gives you another option if ammo is scarce)

2)- it is so easy to buy a 9mm or 357 sig barrel & convert the Glock .40 to either so you basically have 3 possible guns in one.

bigsteve113, 9jeeps, mdell49 and 13 others like this.
  4. tom mac

tom mac

I like guns that shoot multiple type rounds, makes practice cheaper too
    357 and 38
    10mm and 40s&w
    44 mag and 44 spl

And the fact that some also work in a rifle is a plus
    44 ruger and 357 lever action

As a PS some guns take multi barrels of diff caliper in same gun
    10mm glock takes 40, 357 sig, 9x25

Cambo and jazzsax8 like this.
  5. The Retired Sarge

The Retired Sarge "The Sarge"

The 40 S&W loading is an effective and proven service caliber. I carried 40 on duty for many years. It served me well in harm's way and now retired I still carry 40. While some LE currently rush to the 9mm a lot of LE will stand by the 40. Ammo is always in good supply and I would always have at least one 40cal pistol. Bill

6. SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Exactly! During the heart of the ammo shortage I didn't have any shooting buddies cause they only had 9mm or .45 and couldn't find any, but me and my .40 had plenty of ammo.

NitLion likes this.
  7. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

I would not base my need for a weapon based on availability of ammo on the shelf. If you are a casual shooter, planner and procrastinator or resources are tighter...,take the $600.00 and stock up on your favorite ammo, if the feeling hits you again, buy more ammo again.

ucfgrad93, LarryNC, Andy4106 and 5 others like this.
  8. smokey45

smokey45

Sounds like you really don't want one, so my advice would be to pass on the .40. I find all the common service pistol rounds useful and have multiple platforms in all. In an emergency the .40 is capable of caliber changes, (as Tager pointed out)while the 9 is a 9, is a 9.
    s45

Bill1954 likes this.
  9. Handwrecker

Handwrecker

My biggest gripe with .40 is that whoever is shooting it at our outdoor range isn't cleaning up any of their spent casings anywhere. Even found an unfired .40 Speer Gold Dot tossed on the concrete today!

On a serious note, .40 is a fine round. Go rent or borrow one and decide if you like shooting it enough to invest in a third pistol caliber. Good luck!

10. Bigpatallo

Bigpatallo

See this is what sways me to just buy it when I can. I do think there also could be use to throw another barrel on and shoot a different caliber, but my main target is the .40

I understand what you are saying and I can't disagree with you either, especially because the new pistol will not fill a role that the others don't. However for each gun I own, I have at least 1K rounds stores up. Thats a real SHTF stash, I don't like using that ammo for range days...

11. Edge767

Edge767

You're not wrong to not want one. I don't. I have 1911's, Berettas, a Daewoo, and some Glocks. The two sizes of ammo I have to keep in stock at home are .45 ACP and 9x19mm. Makes it nice and easy for the supply chief in me. :)

I have nothing against the .40 other than pure logistics. If SHTF, I like to know that every pistol I hand out to my family uses the same rounds. Same goes for my rifles (5.56mm or 7.62x39). Just my personal preference: YMMV.

Taco Junkie, APERS, LarryNC and 5 others like this.
  12. Radius_Retention_Systems

Radius_Retention_Systems RADIUS RETENTION SYSTEMS

So looks like you're looking at prepper armory lists...
    You have at least 5 guns listed not including the LR bolt action you mentioned, but how much ammo do you have?
    Better to have 2 AR's and 10K+ rds of 5.56 ammo in common than an AR and an AK an 2K+/- rds of ammo each.
    Buy 2 40.'s, or 9mm's, or whatever you decide is your cal and then buy enough .40 or ? ammo in common to feed both.
    Buy a reloader and adequate quantities of supplies, powders, primers, cases, bullets, reloading books, etc.
    Buy lots of magazines.
    Whether you're gonna be an R-700/AR/Glock or a M-70/AK/1911 guy, go out and get the ammo, parts and pieces, cleaning supplies, etc for those platforms before you get other guns.
    Only then begin to buy fill in calibers, etc. nothing wrong with having an additional 9/45/or? in the safe, its always nice to have other caliber guns so you can beg borrow steal or buy the ammo and stay in the fight to protect yourself if needed, but that should come only after you build in your core and everything it takes to support that, IMHO. ;-)
    Its fun and exciting buying new guns, not so much a jug of powder, lots of guys get this part reversed, but hold the course and you will have a serviceable inventory and not a mishmash of **** sitting around when the balloon goes up. Haha.
    Good luck!

13. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

My age accounts for experiencing carrying, competition and confrontations. I also have (2) Dillon 650's and have downsized to 9mm and 44 mag. I am very good with what I have and am not under gunned without a rifle or shotgun.

Reading between the lines is my suggestion and to become better and very good at less is my suggestion. Distractions as I call them ....others options can divert fiscal opportunities to become a survivor.

Bigpatallo likes this.
  14. Bigpatallo

Bigpatallo

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not but I now have a new goal. LOL, thank you.

I understand, I think you are right. Thank You.

15. janice6

janice6

How can you be wrong for making a legal, free, independent choice.

Some will always think you made a wrong choice when it doesn't agree with their opinion. Do what you feel is right for you.

jonb32248, bmrtoyo and Lockback like this.
  16. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

I bought a .40 for the same reason you mentioned. Ability to find/scavenge ammo in a SHTF situation. Plus its always fun to have something different at the range.

I would recommend getting a Kel Tec Sub2000 in .40 as I did.

Why?
    • It folds up and you can carry it around in an ordinary looking backpack.
    • In the event you need to break it out, you have the advantage of a long gun that is ridiculously easy to hit with vs. handguns.
    • Glock makes those nice 21 round .40 mags.
    • It's lightweight and compact
    • The 16" barrel puts some more zip on those .40 rounds. You've got a whole magazine of equivalent to .357 magnum power that expands to a bigger diameter, yet is extremely easy to shoot.
    You don't have to stock up ammo for your Sub2000. That's not its purpose. I only have a few boxes of 180 grain HST sitting around for it.

The whole point is you're buying something that will increase your ability to find/use ammo if it becomes scarce. So stock up on your primary stuff. . . and just keep the Sub2k around "just in case."

janice6 likes this.
  17. erichard

erichard

9 and 45 are easier and more fun for me to shoot, but I have recently added two more .40's to my collection, now having as many .40's as the 9, 45, and 380 combined. Several reasons for this:

1. The 40, like the FBI originally determined, is a good compromise between the strength of the 45 and round capacity of the 9.
    2. Being harder to shoot, due to snappy recoil, it gives me something to aspire to master, improving my technique overall such that all the rest will seem pretty easy after mastering the .40. I have found this to be rather true. The kick of the 380, 9 and 45 seem very trivial now.
    3. What drove me recently to pick up a G27 in addition to my G23 and HK USPc 40 is the deep discounts these are going for in the used market. You have a large number of people dumping these weapons and buying 9mm's. So supply is up and demand is way down for 40's. That makes for very cheap 2nd hand .40's. The G27 with 100 rounds through it that I just bought cost me $300, for basically a new gun.
    4. Along with people dumping the .40 guns, they are dumping their hoards of .40 ammo in the classifieds. I recently bought 2 cases of 1000 rounds each for $175 apiece of PMC Bronze .40. That's significantly cheaper than 9mm, even being weightier and having more charge which makes it costlier to manufacture.
    5. The trend is in towards 9mm. There can be no doubt about it, and for good reason I believe, but like the trend towards cheap 22 ammo, there is a dark downside. If everyone rushes to one side of the boat at one time, the boat flips. A year later, I still have an open order at Streicher's for several thousand rounds of 22 that has no indication of shipping in the near future. In fact, they stopped carrying 22 for some time, and no longer list the type I have on order because it is so hard to come by. With the massive trend towards 9mm, it can only be a matter of time that either prices rise for 9mm or 9mm becomes much more scarce, despite it being universally used worldwide, a round stung by its own success. The trend for .40 is the complete opposite due to its growing unpopularity.
    6. If you live in or ultimately live in a state that limits round count to 10 in mags, then you want those rounds to be as powerful as possible, so the G27 with a plus one extension fits the bill perfectly from a round count, power amount, and concealable size perspective.
    7. Few will debate that .40 has the oomph to get the job done as far as penetration. And the power also makes the gun cycle reliably. Also, although a high round count, like a G17, is comforting to have at your side, the vast majority of gun fights, like over 90 some percent, are over in 3-4 shots and under a couple minutes of time. The take home lesson isn't that you don't more rounds, but that you want the rounds that are shot to be powerful manstoppers. I've read many stories where people in gun fights didn't realize they had been struck in the belly by a 9mm until they saw blood (unaware mainly due to stress of the situation, but amazing nonetheless). If you get hit with a .40, you will notice it. There will be faster blood loss, and blood loss is what leads to incapacitation, setting aside hits to the CNS. Bottom line, you want incapacitation as fast as you can get it when your life is on the line.
    8. There are ways to mitigate the recoil with Magnaporting or triple recoil springs by DPM, both of which I recommend.
    9. If you want an out of the box .40 that has low recoil, like marginally more than a 9mm, consider getting a HK USP. The full size USP is the best on the market for recoil in .40 IMHO, and the compact version I hear is almost as good (the compacts are lacking some of the technology present in the full size, but I think using a buffer to make up for it.) I saw a USP .40 that was barely used go unsold on Gunbroker today for $500. That's a good deal, better than any other .40 in compact size. I also had a Shield in .40 that while not as soft as the HK, was actually not too bad...softer than the G23 or G27 IMHO. I kept the G27 and G23 because of other reasons, the main one being size to power ratio. The G23 has 13+1 in a size significantly smaller than the HK USP full size (also 13+1). The G23 conceals well, and the HK full size does not. HK .40 compact, however, with 12+1 is a CC gun, and I would like to try that one.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    saltybarrel and Big1 like this.
  18. Big1

Big1

I love my .40, I have a G23,22, and a 27 and I wear them gladly, I know that theirs are a lot of people hate them but I bought them because this is what I wanted. If I base all of my guns or etc on what other people like or dislike I will be so crazy and confused, so now I buy what I want and not what base on other people views or dislike. If you want it get it and don't look back, and yes I have some 9mm, .45, and even 10mm because it's what I wanted. Good luck on your quest and let us know what you go with.

30plusretlaw likes this.
  19. Big1

Big1

Oh yeah, I pick up a Gen3 G22 police trade in for $349 with three mags, life is good.

mdell49 and Audiman77 like this.
  20. bilkay

bilkay

You don't need it but buy a G22 anyway.

Kifaru likes this.