Am I thinking correctly concerning MOA of dot of red dot scope?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by btefft, Sep 11, 2015.

1. btefft

btefft U S Veteran

I recently bought a G40 to use when I go deer hunting and am going to get a Trijicon RMR LED RM06 for it, but am having a time deciding on whether to get the one with the 3.25 MOA dot or the one with the 6.25 MOA dot.

I'm 64, wear glasses and am back and forth. One moment I think 3.25, and the next moment I think 6.5. With the 3.25 one I read that I can brighten the dot and make it appear larger. And in the long run, one may be just as good as the other.

Heres my thinking, I think I got it right:

if I get a scope with red dot having an MOA of 6.5 and aim at a deer 50 yrs away, then the dot will be covering an area of the deer equal to 3.25 inches of deer hide. At 25 yrs, the dot would be covering an area equal to 1.625 inches of deer hide.

If I get a scope with red dot having an MOA of 3.25 and aim at a deer 50 yrs away, then the dot will be covering an area of the deer equal to 1.625 inches of deer hide. At 25 yrs, the dot would be covering an area equal to 0.8125 inches of deer hide. Less than a inch, but the deer is closer, so it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, I'm thinking that may be better.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Especially if you have experience with those two MOAs.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. btefft

btefft U S Veteran

A moment ago I ordered a with the 6.5 Trijicon from Amazon.

We'll see.

3. ap1169

ap1169

Good Choice! I just purchased a Trijicon RMR model RM07 for my Glock.

4. btefft

btefft U S Veteran

Thanks, that make me feel better, I went back and forth on the 3.25 and 6.5 before I made my decisiion.

5. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Aim Small, Hit Small came to mind...

I think I would go with the smallest dot available.

Granted, bigger dots would possibly be faster closer in just because a bigger dot would be faster to find, harder to lose in transition too most probably...

Still, it would be difficult to aim small with a big dot in my mind.

Just a thought, just a thought...

btefft likes this.
  6. btefft

btefft U S Veteran

I heard that, too. But my 64 year old eyes talked me into the bigger dot.

Pierre! likes this.
  7. CRozek

CRozek

I prefer the bigger dots. I haven't heard many people complain that they wished they'd gone smaller, but I do frequently hear that they wish that they had gone bigger. In all fairness, most of those people that I get feedback from are more interested in tactical-style shooting with quick dot acquisition and not hunting.

Either way though, I don't think that you'll be unhappy. I personally think that you're close to splitting hairs, but after all, isn't that most of the chatter on gun forums? I'm guilty of it too! =P

8. btefft

btefft U S Veteran

I asked a question on Amazon about which was best for deer hunting, 3.25 or 6.5. I asked the same question to folks who rated the 3.23 and to folks who rated the 6.5. Lot of good that did.

Folks who bought the 3.25 said the small dot was better and folks who bought the 6.5 said the large dot was better. So, I asked my brother-in-law (who has shot a ton of deer) and he said he'd go with the large dot, because the larger dot would be easier to get on a moving deer than the smaller dot - So, I bought the larger dot. I hasn't arrived yet, but I'm looking forward to using it.

9. ronin.45

ronin.45

I've never really understood the bigger dot being faster. If I look through the optic the glowing dot is catching my eye no matter what size it is. I've yet to see one so small it was hard to notice.

10. CRozek

CRozek

It is not meant to catch your eye while you're looking through it, the bigger dot is meant to catch your eye as you acquire it from say, a draw.

11. ronin.45

ronin.45

The open guns I've used have had different dot brands and sizes. Unless I draw crooked and the dot is not visible the size has not mattered. It's either there or it isn't.

12. CRozek

CRozek

If it isn't there, it is easier to find.

I don't always shoot with red dots and I find that the muscle memory varies from gun to gun for me. YMMV

13. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

If you are looking at the dot you are doing it wrong. With a red dot sight you focus on the target not the dot. The dot will go where its supposed to if you are doing your part correctly.

14. btefft

btefft U S Veteran

I'm looking forward to using the bigger dot. If I zero it right, the bullet will strike on the surface of wherever the dot is pointed. We'll see.

I got the larger dot for easy acquisition in case the deer is walking along.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  15. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I shoot a Burris Fast Fire III on a 627. No co witness at all but if the dot is in view you can't miss it. If it is not, I don't see how making it bigger would help. Just my opinion but I want a small, sharp, bright dot.

pAZ Ron likes this.
  16. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

There is one other factor for the dot size … for older eyes (mine are 63) there is some glare, and irregularity to the dot shape that makes it seem larger than it is. I am talking an RMR type sight, not a scope, so am not sure how or if it is different in a scope.

So if I am aiming at a black bullseye of 8" or even more in diameter at 100 yards with a 3.5 minute dot, the dot should only be covering a 3.5 " circle leaving plenty of black around the outside to center the shot. Instead what happens is unless (maybe even some then) I put the dot on the lowest brightness level, the 3.5" dot almost totally obscures the sight picture blotting out all of the black and making it more difficult to center the shot than it should be. I just picked 8" as an example. I don't recall last time I tried that … could have even been with a 10" bull. Happens, but just to a lesser degree, at shorter yardages also, like 50.

I did not really see any difference in this aspect with 2 different quality red dots, a Trijicon RMR 06, or a Burris Fastfire III.

So I really prefer the smaller of the two, the 3.5 minute dot for slow fire accuracy.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  17. Akahele

Akahele

The Leupold red dot I got for my Ruger 22/45 Mark III is the 6.5 variety. Wanted the 3.5, but the 6 was half the cost due to mounting costs. It'll do.
    The RMR I got for my G23 is a 3.5 cause the mounting cost was not the issue, the milled slide was.
    So now I have a 6 on the .22 and a 3.5 on the Glock.
    I have an aimpoint on a Daniels Defense .223 that is a 3.5. Even so I'm always thinking it does not allow me to be as accurate at distance due to the fact it covers the entire group. A scope is necessary for any accuracy at and exceeding 100 yds (unless you have such good eyes that iron sights are your thing at distance).
    The bottom line is that I shoot all with both eyes open and the smaller size is good for a bit of distance, and the bigger dot is no problem shooting shorter distances.
    About the Glock, I have a .40 silencer on it and like the 3.5 simply for the reason that is works good with the reduced flash and recoil and seems to allow for quicker target reacquisition.

18. Charley C

Charley C

I'm surprised that no one replying to this thread has (so far), mentioned anything about Leupold's Delta Point, or Delta Point Pro.

I'm still deciding which one to buy to mount on my G-34 MOS