Am I the only one who polishes triggers?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by garya1961, Oct 6, 2018.

1. garya1961

garya1961

I keep reading about people changing triggers in new ARs. I can understand if you are building a high dollar long range rifle but I doubt most of us need a $200 trigger in our AR. I learned long ago that a little polish and about 15 minutes on most guns can make a huge improvement on a stock trigger. I do this with most of my guns not just ARs.
    What I am talking about is polishing not sanding, not grinding on a trigger, or removing metal. It's different on different guns, on a Glock I polish the trigger bar and connector but on most guns I just polish the hammer and sear engagements.
    On my two ARs I just polished the sear engagements on the hammer. I am talking about regular car polish not anything with any grit to it. After polishing the sear engagement on the hammer I then put a dab of polish on the hammer sear engagement. With the lower separated from the upper and while catching the hammer with one hand I pull the trigger with the other hand. I repeat this several times until I am happy with the pull. I then clean every thing and add a drop of oil, work it some more and then clean up the excess oil.
    This may reduce the pull a couple pounds but mostly it gets rid of the grittiness and makes a smooth clean breaking trigger.

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

3. GcB

GcB Can't type, don't spell, what's grammar.

I like the advanced coatings on the ALG-ACT so for a mil spec trigger without any polishing needed, I have found the ACT triggers to be an excellent choice for the money and have installed them in a few of my guns.
    I do like my light two stage trigger for precision shooting but single stage combat triggers work well for everything else.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Boot Stomper likes this.
  4. Bilrus61

Bilrus61

My DDv7lw had a pretty bad factory trigger. I got a Guissle ? High Speed. Good but still not Anschutz good but a very good trigger when adjusted correctly. So yesterday I'm at a local show and get a Aero AR lower. I polished the DD trigger and put in my new lower and I have to say its 50% better. Breaks at 6 pounds now instead of 9. Smoother. Pleased with it. I also have two of the Guissles SSA trigger. Both are nice but they do have that carrot break. You can feel just a tad of smooth creep.

A Kidd two stage on my Ruger 10/22 is outstanding. Best of course is the Annie 50.18 on my MSR. You just think "fire" and it goes off exactly when you want it. I've had several hammer guns that have good triggers. My H&R pardner made by Remington has a 5.5 pound delightful trigger! Trigger pulls on shotguns is a whole can of worms that few choose to open, but it is just as important or even more so than a rifle.

5. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Like you said, a range or target rifle can use a "better"trigger.
    All my AR's have an eight pound pull, crisp and clean. Sounds crappy, but for a utility rifle that is very acceptable, and putting some time in at the range allows me MOA results with my longer range use gun.
    I've only had one polished trigger in my life. The results were almost too good. It was on a 1911. An armorer did the job and the reliability wasn't compromised.

6. garya1961

garya1961

If you only use car polish not Fritz or compound and use a Q-tip, soft cloth (I have found a pop-sickle stick works great also), you shouldn't have to worry about affecting the safety or reliability of the polished trigger.

7. dkf

dkf

I polished up the PSA milspec trigger when I put my sisters rifle together with some Mothers polish. I use at least an ALG ACT trigger in my own rifles so I really don't need to polish anything with them.

GcB likes this.
  8. garya1961

garya1961

How did the PSA trigger turn out?

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Polishing trigger components that are cast or MIM & surface hardened is a foolish decision.

10. NeverMore1701

Doesn’t stop Bubba from bleating “BUT AH DO IT RIGHT!” into his natty light.

11. dkf

dkf

So how much material do you think polishing removes? I'll tell you if you actually polish it especially with just a rag and elbow grease you are taking of not even a .0001" of material. You are not getting even remotely close to bottom of the case depth. The most care has to be taken just to not round corners and you do that with machinery, not with elbow grease.

12. NeverMore1701

13. dkf

dkf

Feels better than I thought it would. Not up to what an ACT is but it was pretty good.

garya1961 likes this.
  14. dkf

dkf

Its good you know your limitations. Trolling. Keep doin what you are good at man. Some people actual make things and do something. Some people just ***** about those people. You obviously are the later.

15. garya1961

garya1961

If a little polishing made it unsafe it was unsafe to start with. All you are doing is removing a little of the finish on the trigger which would have quickly worn away with normal use anyway.

happie2shoot and dkf like this.
  16. NeverMore1701

I’m a troll because I’d rather spend $50-$60 than do something that is known to cause problems. Ok.

17. garya1961

garya1961

I take it you have a degree degree in metallurgy.

18. dkf

dkf

No you are troll because you keep posting multiple little ***** replies of zero substance just to be a *****. A common theme with MANY of your posts around here.

As someone whom has milled case hardened trigger components to find the case depth I know you and FAA are wrong and what I said is right.

happie2shoot and garya1961 like this.
  19. garya1961

garya1961

If the hardened surface was that shallow it would quickly wear through with normal use but I do understand that some people can't resist going at it with the Dremel.

20. illrooster132

illrooster132

yes. I tend to keep my weapons factory. in case I case I need to explain things to some scum lawyer.