Am I the Only One Having a Great Time?

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by Bren, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

I haven't seen my GF since early in February. She lives in San Diego and I live in Phoenix. Normally we get together every 3 weeks for a 3 day weekend. I won't see her again until May at the earliest. This is not a fun time for me.

My sister is isolated at home with her husband who is in the end stage of dying of cancer (melanoma that has metastasized into his spine). He has weeks left at most and is a big, powerful guy. He is in such agony that he is mentally confused. So much so, the docs thought he had a brain tumor until the scan results came in. He got combative at one point and the hospital had to put him in restraints. They kicked him out of the hospital last week to make room for Covid-19 patients. It seems that nobody has the right to die in a hospital any more no matter how bad your condition or how bad the risk could be to caretakers. I doubt if this is a wonderful time for her.

pizza_pablo likes this.
  2. NJ1911

NJ1911

I'm having a great time too. I have no problem staying away from people. I still go in to work, which is great because my wife and kids are working and schooling from home, and the lack of traffic is wonderful. I work from home 1-2 days a week but stay upstairs away from them. We order our groceries online and pick them up once a week. No hassle going to the store and shopping.

I get home from work and hop on my dirt bike and do a few laps around the yard and neighbors farm field to blow off steam. Maybe light up the fire pit and hang out with a glass of scotch. Pretty much everyone by me stays inside so it's nice and peaceful out. I took some of my bonus and bought an electric scooter (26mph top speed) and plan to cruise the empty back roads by me during nice weather.

There may be a pandemic but I think I am more relaxed now than I was when the rat race was going full steam ahead. We have plenty of food, ammo, cash for emergencies. Life is good.

I try to stay positive as much as possible and help who I can.

Von Hayes and NMG26 like this.

3. John Watson

John Watson

I'd be happier if here in Texas the state parks and LCRA properties were accessible so I could go fishing. Being somewhat mobility limited I have to pick and choose where I go fishing to places I can park close to the fishing spot.

4. Schrag4

Schrag4

The reason I want to get back to the office is to be more productive. I can work from home, but I have half as many monitors, there’s considerable lag introduced for some operations, and I can’t just turn around and ask my coworkers questions face to face.

5. The Hawk

The Hawk

I am doing great. Wife and I stocked up on food a couple days ago. We will be eating at home, which is better food and less expensive. I am still on the Keto diet and have lost another couple pounds. Now that nice weather is here, we are taking bike rides. I am working out with free weights at home. I enjoyed cutting my lawn for the third time this season. Try and focus on the positive side of things. Sure, I miss hanging out with my friends and family, but it will be much sweeter when this is over.

NJ1911 likes this.
  6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I see. I have a desktop with 2 monitors and 2 laptops on my desk and I can connect to all of the government networks and shared drives (compared to 2 laptops with 4 monitors in my office). The only co-worker who knows enough that I might ask her a question is my wife and she's home too. I get the advantage of having people not be able to come and ask me questions. Even in the office we mainly only talk to each other by email anyhow.

I actually do a lot more work at home. During the time I would be getting ready, driving to work, driving home, having lunch, driving back to work and waiting for the clock to say I can leave, I'm just sitting here actually doing real work. Lunch is 15 minutes instead of 60-90 and nobody interrupts me.

pizza_pablo likes this.
  7. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

My life is as close to Hell I can realistically imagine, right now. I've been off work since June, 2019. No income since the first week of February 2020, in a fight with the disability service I paid into, since I should be dead and "they've never seen this before".

Now, I've got two pre-teens (who regularly remind me I'm not their father) and a rambunctious 6 year old home with me all day, every day. With the weather getting a little bit nicer, it's getting a little better, but it's been so muddy and my yard is mostly dirt, so there isn't much they can do outside (we also live on a street that's too busy for them to use).

On top of that, I've got a pregnant girlfriend who has an "essential" job. She was mean on all but her best days, before the pregnancy. Add on top of that a question as to if it's mine.

No, I'm not having fun. In fact, there's really no good in my life, at all, right now. The Covid19 situation just makes it all that much worse.

8. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

When the governor said I could still fish and turkey hunting and go to my lease range if I was social distancing, I was made mostly whole. Not hurting here.

9. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

I'd be happier if there were sports on TV, but other than that, no worries. I'm saving a ton of $$$ by not going out to the bar 3 nights a week.

10. pspez

pspez

I finally got time to fix my sprinklers.

11. fman1854

fman1854

Other than the looming feeling that half of America is just waiting for **** to hit the fan im doing ok. Im prepped and ready but even than my ideal thought of life is not a post apocalyptic one im armed and prepped to the teeth always if need be but really i just wanna go back to normal you know walk the dog around hit the gym take the lady out to a nice night out etc. I say this isnt affecting me that much but weve been in lockdown in IL since march 3 its been exactly a month with basicly another one (and most likely another month or two after that) its starting to dwell on me how much i miss my daily routine and hobbies. I cant even shoot my gun anywhere as all public shooting sites and ranges are closed untill further notice to help stop the spread and i dont live far enough from others to shoot on land. Netflix will be the death of me

12. Dave514

Dave514

I was enjoying a career I spent the better part of a decade to achieve and running a business I committed 20 years to building. Not only do I have to forego that but now I don't have the income that pays for my mortgage, health insurance, utilities, kid's college expenses, etc... so I am not having a great time.

If sitting on my ass was better than my job, I'd find a new job.

13. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

Retirement years have been the best ten years of my life!
    I need nothing, want very little, have all the food and supplies needed, Jake the Wonder Dog is a wonderful companion, and the neighbors are terrific!

The dreaded virus shut down the Senior Center and my favorite sports events, but everything else is good.

I traveled all of my life and it's so good to be home!

Old movies play regularly on TV and there's lots of outdoor work to be done.

In all, life is good!

Flash

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    pizza_pablo and IamtheNRA like this.
  14. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

I practiced some “social distancing” today…

All of the boat ramps in South Florida are closed, but I have my boat on a lift behind the house, so they’re not stopping me, LOL

if I get the coronavirus, I hope it’s the “light” version.. C4652CD0-E375-4E7D-8157-8E89FCA28F86.jpeg A150CF2F-8CF3-4AED-BA5D-5350BC212D42.jpeg 67265972-28C1-486E-8657-8C0B24B1FA5C.jpeg

15. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Boating is axed?!
    That's the epitome of social distancing!

Intolerant likes this.
  16. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

This and not having to slow for school zones are definite silver linings!
    When I do have to go into work, the traffic is at 2004 levels.

17. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I cant easily fly to my girlfriend and spend time with her.. she is working 60 hours a week dealing with meds for the virus mess.

18. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Not more valuable. Less essential.

19. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

Traffic is way down and idiots seem to be somewhere else. So I'm pretty content.

pizza_pablo likes this.
  20. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Damn, if that post is 100% serious then you win. Need to borrow a bullet?

pizza_pablo likes this.