Am I the Only One Having a Great Time?

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by Bren, Mar 31, 2020.

1. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

The whole deal hasn't really impacted me yet as there is still ice on the lake and snow on the ground. The draw back is it's hard to find an excuse not to deal with all the little jobs that need to be done around the house.

pizza_pablo and Intolerant like this.
  2. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

I'm heading your way.....what's your address again....I think I'm ok.......really

pgg00, Intolerant and FullClip like this.

3. norton

norton

Since I am retired things haven't changed much. I built a couple of outdoor deck chairs, and am getting ready to reload 9mm. The gun club/range where I shoot is still open to members, I might go out there today since I often see no one on the outdoor pistol range. I also walk 2.5 miles per day as usual.
    Mrs N is getting a little stir crazy. She is more sociable and misses her volunteer job at the local hospital. She sewed about a dozen masks for the hospital.
    We both are readers. I am getting ready to plow through "Grant" by Ron Chernow again. Its almost 900 pages so it will take a while.
    We go get takeout a few times a week, took a drive yesterday after she dropped off a package at the local post office for our granddaughter. I read an article by the Indiana State Police superintendent in the Sunday Paper. He said he issued orders to troopers not to issue summons for just being out driving on non essential trips.
    I do miss seeing the Grand kids
    And I feel bad for those who are missing pay checks and may lose their jobs permanently.

4. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

I agree 1000%. the only cons are that there are no sports on TV, and ammo is getting scarce.

And one pros is all of the "new releases" on streaming services.

The other is the time I get to spend with my wife and daughter. Having our meals together and at home is a really nice change. life gets so hectic that I fail to stop and smell the roses.

I am praying our gov reconsiders closing golf courses. and if I were a betting man, I'm betting that he will lift that ban.

pizza_pablo likes this.
  5. Detectorist

Detectorist

I guess when you work for the Gov in a non essential job, the paychecks keep rolling in.

Travel, entertainment, and restaurant, employees are screwed. Heck, even the food pantries are closed so I can't even donate food.

6. BradD

BradD

My life has gotten significantly easier and better.

The university mandated that we go to online classes only. I've taught online before, so that's easy for me. Recording a video lecture is a lot easier than standing up there projecting my voice over a large room for 75 minutes straight.

Time management is easier. Other than the occasional MS Teams call or Zoom meeting, it's just me and my computer. There's no BSing -- when someone contacts me now, they really need something.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  7. Biggsly

Biggsly Good looking deplorable

Not much fun for me. I still have to go to work everyday. Trying my best to stay away from people, but we can't all stay at home.

8. Tickhill

Tickhill Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking

Normal is gone and it ain't coming back.
    Our church used this slogan 15 years ago, more true today than then.
    We spend every 4th night with my MIL who has medical issues, the other nights are covered by siblings. My wife sits with her 3 days a week also, she is bearing the largest portion of the load. We had additional respite sitters but we shut that down because we were afraid of them bringing something in the house that would infect my MIL, this has added even more load to all the family. I have been retired for over a year now but help others as I can, we had the tornado last Tuesday and we are making great progress, some homes were just totaled. Power is back on at 95% of the homes.

Chew on this:
    Nothing takes God by surprise, He knew that this was gonna happen. He also knew that we would need a leader to prepare the nation and bring the nation thru this. Imagine for a moment that HRC had been elected President...

We will make it thru this, maybe losing more lives than we do each year due to the flu, this would be a good time for us (me) to get our heads screwed back on straight and ready for what's next.

pizza_pablo, Walk Soft and Intolerant like this.
  9. Intolerant

Intolerant

Truth right there. God Bless ya Tickhill, stay safe!

pizza_pablo likes this.
  10. Will Rudy

Will Rudy

far as I'm concerned, it sucks. Once a lazy bastard lying on the couch, now considered a "responsible adult." Men were made for the outdoors and freedom, not cowering inside the house like a scared cat.

11. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

Still working...morale is terrible. My department was once ignored and now they stare at us with laser beams wondering why we haven’t laid anyone off. They forget we did last year and traded some salary for bonus to boot.

I was concerned about catching CV19 for a couple weeks... I am around people and in and out of their cars and the people who have been out car shopping the last couple weeks include the deniers and truly ignorant. Some seemed genuinely shocked we were not busy selling cars when everyone is home.

Now I just worry about getting laid off. We are a link in the chain and produce millions in profit annually, but I wonder if the other links in the chain think they could do the same without our participation. Corporate culture is very positive in the good times and turns into aggressive cannibalism if you have a bad week. We salvaged March but April will be a disaster.

My escape plan was to get into residential real estate investing. The market here has been growing and we probably have 5-7 years of steady growth ahead and lots of inexpensive starter type homes that need a fair bit of renovation but are still profitable. I had hoped to be able to self fund the first few projects but am not there yet. We will see what the residential real estate market even looks like after this...that plan may hit the scrap heap.

It could be worse, but I am watching my local economy get destroyed. Local businesses are closing and many people are hurting. Hopefully this will just cost me money.

so, no... I am not enjoying this at all

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Are you not allowed to go outdoors? I go out every day, generally to our city parks. Unlike those in actual "cities" our parks have woods and mountains and trails and archery ranges and such.

RockingtheGlock likes this.
  13. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

My life isn't horribly different. I'm retired and spend most of my time at home anyway. But I can't do my part-time job a few hours a week and my wife and I can't go to our favorite local restaurants for drinks and dinner. That's the part I really don't like.
    If that's as bad as it gets for awhile, hey, I'll live. It's more of an inconvenience than a necessity, that's for sure. It's just aggravating. But, then, we're all limited right now.

14. tango44

tango44

Wait until your employer cannot pay you anymore and then we talk!
    Enjoy!

pizza_pablo likes this.
  15. RockingtheGlock

RockingtheGlock What is normal for the Spider is chaos to the Fly

There are more positives than negatives so far in my opinion. The +'s, I got my first gun, social distancing has become the norm, I can ride my bike and hit trails whenever I want, I don't have to go into the office, I don't have to talk to the people in the office, I can watch watch Lenny Magill from GlockStore videos on disassembly and maintenance anytime I want, I can take breaks from studying or working anytime I want, I can get Chic Fil a for lunch everyday, I can take a nap, I can clean and organize around the house, FREEDOM!!!! The -'s, the indoor shooting ranges near me are closed, all the bullets are out of stock and I have to hear news about the # of people dying everyday and horrible it is out there only for it to seem pretty much ok.

16. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Working from home right now. As is my wife. My biggest struggle so far is just trying to be motivated to be productive. (Here I am on GT instead of working! LOl)

We're fortunate that this hasn't hit us very hard. In fact, we're probably saving a bunch of money from not eating out dinner and drinks 2x-3x per week. But because of our habits, we know a lot of waitresses and bartenders, and I worry about them and small business owners. I hope they will come through this ok.

17. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

same here.... but the 2 bosses have been working from home for a week already but us grunts still have to come into the office.....why is their life more valuable than ours ???

18. NMG26

NMG26

Everyone in Denver is out biking, walking with there kids, dogs, strollers ect..........I much preferred dodging cars on slow streets for my daily commute
    :bike:

19. Gokyo

Gokyo

this is is just about perfect for me. I am still working hard. But I do not have to see or talk to other people.

Love it.

20. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Spent an hour in line at the drive thru window of the bank. Went over to my favorite breakfast/lunch place for take out. Was good to see my friends are still open for business but at a limited capacity. tom.