Glock Talk banner

Am I the only left handed shooter who...

1044 23
...only buys right handed guns. I am right handed but shoot left handed. I learned to shoot on my own starting in the first grade with my daisy bb gun. I never realized I was shooting left handed until about 12 years old when my uncle noticed it. He asked why I was shooting left handed and I asked what does that mean, lol. I have never owned a left handed gun and probably never will. The way I look at it is I have been shooting right handed guns this long why change, besides if I ever decide to sell a gun a right handed gun is easier to sell.
Reactions: wingryder
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
11,286 Posts
A bolt action rifle really requires me to have a left hand model. Otherwise, I make do.

· Registered
493 Posts
Lefty here. Never thought about buying LH guns.
Shoot everything LH including bolts, you just adapt a different technique.
I practice pistols Left & Right handed since I got more into handguns
several years ago.

· Registered
217 Posts
Started teaching my wife to shoot after being married for 37 years. She does everything right handed but when it comes to shooting I found out that she couldn't hit the side of a barn. Had her try it left handed and bingo. After a month she is hitting everything she aims at or at lease comes close.

· Registered
2,347 Posts
Im right handed but left eye dominant. As a result I have learned to shoot pistol, rifle, and shotgun lefty. I do shoot bow right handed. As a result of my left eye dominance I developed as an adult into almost being ambidextrous. I write and eat as a righty however. I think eye dominance should have more to do with shooting than hand dominance. i buy specific bolt guns as lefty models but have learned to adapt very well to shotguns, semi rifles, lever guns, revolvers, and all pistols. Hope that helps.

· Registered
7,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Do any of you buy right handed guns specifically for easier resale? I would buy right handed even if the left handed guns sold better but it is a factor to think about. I'm just accustomed to shooting right handed guns and a left handed gun just doesn't feel right.

QUOTE"
Im right handed but left eye dominant. As a result I have learned to shoot pistol, rifle, and shotgun lefty."

I shoot handguns right handed but I'm left eye dominant. I can also shoot pistols left handed but it takes me a little more time to aim so I wouldn't do it in a self defense situation. It's a little awkward shooting with the gun in your right hand using your left eye but it's a lot faster for me.

Just as a side note, I had a friend growing up who was left handed but use a glove on his left hand when playing softball. He would catch the ball in his left hand glove then shake the glove off and throw the ball with the same hand he caught it with.

· Cuhootnified Roamer
11,867 Posts
I'm a lefty and keep my guns "right-handed." Like you, it's how I learned. A lefty friend let me fire his Gen4 Glock on which he switched the mag release to the right side of the frame. I was lost!

So hep, I also own strictly right handed guns. I even do the "reach-over" on bolt guns, I'm quite used to it now.

· Registered
16,885 Posts
I learned to play drums left handed, on a right handed setup. I learned to play golf with right handed clubs. I do not own a single firearm that is specifically left handed, everything I own gets shot by several folks in my family, the majority of whom are right handed.

We have just learned over the years to deal with the fact everyone else uses the wrong hand.

· Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Im right handed but left eye dominant. As a result I have learned to shoot pistol, rifle, and shotgun lefty. I do shoot bow right handed. As a result of my left eye dominance I developed as an adult into almost being ambidextrous. I write and eat as a righty however. I think eye dominance should have more to do with shooting than hand dominance. i buy specific bolt guns as lefty models but have learned to adapt very well to shotguns, semi rifles, lever guns, revolvers, and all pistols. Hope that helps.
I'm left eye dominant as well, but only needed to change to left handed shooting on the long guns. I shoot with both eyes open, but with long guns you can't position the dominant eye in the line of the sights like you can with a handgun.

As a lefty, the only ambi part I use is the safety on my AR. I've learned to adapt to all the other controls. Heck, I find the charging handle more usable as a lefty than I did as a righty.

· Registered
4,524 Posts
I am left handed and shoot pistols with both without even thinking about it. I do feel most controls designed for right handed guns like slide releases and mag catches are actually easier to use by a left handed with the trigger or middle finger without shifting grip something I can not say about running say a chunky glock right handed. I do have smallish hands and there is simply no way to reach the controls without a significant grip shift which then requires re gripping after manipulation which for me seems they should put the controls on the right side of the frame not the left!

· Registered
7,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Weird phrasing indeed. A gun is a gun, or it has ambidextrous controls. Saying right handed gun as opposed to what? A left handed gun? There are hardly any left handed guns out there.
When I say gun I'm referring to all firearms, handguns, shotguns, and rifles.

· Registered
2,239 Posts
Am left handed and, as all of us do, adapt a lot. For range shooting I don't care. For competition, I favor brands with ambidextrous controls such as H&K or Walther, but with some practice can compete with anything. I like SIG's, but they really go out of their way to be unfriendly so I only own one.

Bolt rifles I can adapt because of my son, but do prefer a left handed model for sure. Other rifles I am used to, no issues. Bolt rifles are really the only firearm I would define as "left handed" am not familiar with anything else. I care more for my left handed scissors frankly.

· Registered
263 Posts
For years, I did some things left-handed (eating, writing), and some things right-handed (shooting, throwing). Someone showed me a simple test for ambi-dexterity, and now I know why I'm equally clumsy with both hands! I'll try to find a good explanation of it and post.

Editing to add more info: I couldn't find the test on-line so I'll try to describe it: point your two first fingers at each other at about eye level and about a foot in front of your face, like this ><. Now WITHOUT PRACTISING, make circles in opposite directions. One hand is making an edge-on circle that starts towards you, while the other hand is making an edge-on circle that starts by moving away from you. If you make two fairly even circles at about the same rate, you are showing at least some ambidexterity. More common is cross-dominance, like I was doing in the first paragraph. I have no idea if this is real or not, so take it with a big dose of salt. It's just something someone showed me a few years ago. Anyway, I shoot the same with either hand.

· Not Assimilated
1,668 Posts
As a southpaw, the only firearms I insist on left handedness are bolt action rifles. I can do the lefty procedure for right handed bolt guns thanks to mil-surps, but I prefer a bolt throw made for my handedness in my hunting rifles.

· Registered
4,912 Posts
I guess I'm just not understanding. I don't know what you mean you say left handed gun.
That is because you are a righty. In the military, my M16 would send hot brass down my shirt while laying prone... because most rifles are designed for right-handed people. Additionally controls are positioned for rightys. Us lefties just have to adjust.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.