Am I the issue Glock 19/43?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by surfer227, Aug 19, 2016.

1. surfer227

surfer227

Recently picked up blue label glock 19 and glock 43 couldn't pass up the deal. I have no trouble shooting sigs and can easily knock out bullseye 10-15yards out. I installed Trijicon HD's on both my Glock 19 and Glock 43 and went to the range to test these out. Both my 19 and 43 shot extremely low for me. At 7-10yards some were off the target completely of a torso size target. I had to compensate but aiming way high and even then i had no good groupings it was all over. I was completely shocked. I've heard glocks handle differently but to go from knocking out the red in the center target with Sigs and to not even land on paper with both the 19 and 43 what could be my issue?

I have torn apart the net trying to find answers and if anything people are saying their HD's POI is high not low like mine.

Ammo used was Federal 9mm 147 AE9FP & Winchester White Box 115.

I live in The Woodlands north of Houston and member of Bayou rifles range here if anybody has any expert advice or can even meet to help with this issue.

2. L-2

L-2

It's a new platform for you.
    At your convenience, have a known Glock shooter try out your Glocks just to rule out any weird anomalies with your specific Glocks and ammo.
    Otherwise, back to basics:
    -stance
    -grip
    -sight alignment
    -sight picture
    -trigger press
    -follow through

What's common for a new right-handed Glock shooter, hitting low left.

Not quite starting over, but slow it down and start from a close distance before moving out.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Buckshot Barry and refugeepj like this.

3. strangerjames

strangerjames

If it's both guns, it's probably you.
    Shoot it from a rest to figure it out.

refugeepj likes this.
  4. jbglock

jbglock Manos Arriba

Off the torso at 10 yards? I can pick up a Gen3 17 or gen4 17 and at 10 put shot after shot in the red center area of a b27. If I take my time I can do better. I can do the same with a 19 but really have to slow down. Get someone that is familiar with Glocks to shoot your guns and then see if they can help you.

SCmasterblaster likes this.
  5. DesertRat86

DesertRat86

Could be the grip angle that you are not used to messing with your traditional stance and sight picture. Not a fan of night sights. I have ameriglo defoor black on black steel sights on my 19 and the accuracy is incredible due to the sight picture they give the shooter. Practiceakes perfect with any firearm. Also the 43 is a bit harder to get down than the 19. I would master the 19 first then transition to the 43. If you switch back and forth you may get frustrated shooting off with both.

6. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

My Glock 19 was probably, my 5th or 6th Glock. For some reason that I still don't understand, it would shoot about two inches low at 10 yards. I was beginning to think there was a problem with the rear sight or some other mechanical misalignment, because I was not having the same issue with my other Glocks. The 42 and 43 were not out yet, so all of my Glocks were Gen 4 at the time, all had the correct factory sights, yet the 19 shot low. I even compared it with my 23, which is essentially the same gun. I finally practiced my way out of it and I do fine with it now. In my case, it was me.

7. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I have a G19 and G43, both of which happen to have the HD night sights as well. I find that the 43 tends to shoot behind the sight (image 3), which if not aimed properly, would in fact shoot low. On the other hand the 19 shoots more to my preferred sight picture, to the blade (image 2). If your expecting a bullseye sight picture (image 1), it may shoot low as well. I practice with 147 grain reloads. Are you getting the same point of impact with the 147s as you are with the 115s?

Which sight picture are you using?
    [​IMG]

Truth&Balance likes this.
  8. surfer227

surfer227

I am trying to use #2 but my POI is so off i feel more accurate throwing darts at a dart board in the dark. Im practically aiming for stars to get on 12"x12" target. At 15 yards had 5 rnds land out of 15 rnd magazine.

9. jbglock

jbglock Manos Arriba

The problem is you. No offense meant. At that distance a 19 is accurate enough to put round after round through one ragged hole if you are steady and consistent enough. I am assuming a new gun.

I've shot a 43 and found it accurate but I haven't shot more than one so won't speak to the accuracy with the certainty I can speak of the 19.

10. ToddKS

ToddKS

I think jbglock gave you some good advice. Get someone who shoots Glocks well to shoot your guns. That should answer the gun vs you question.

My guess would be that it is the difference between the triggers causing you problem. The striker isn't releasing when you expect it to based on your experience with the Sig trigger.

11. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Suggest you put one of the two platforms in the gun bag for now. Take the one platform and start at 3 yards with the #2 sight picture and watch to see what's happening to your sight picture. Hopefully you will realize and ammend as you progress. Only till you accomplish what is acceptable to you do you move. You can introduce the other platform when you reach your first success.

refugeepj likes this.
  12. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

This is very likely a shooter problem. A few posts here gave some good shooting advice. I'd take it.

13. tundracamper

tundracamper

I'm relatively new to pistol shooting and find that my grip and wrist flexibility can greatly affect my ability to hit on target. All the basics make a difference.

I have both these guns. With my G19 on a support, I can hit a 2" bullseye at 40 yards. My gun is way more accurate than me.

refugeepj likes this.
  14. refugeepj

refugeepj

have you allowed someone experienced with Glock to shoot it?
    my guess is you are snatching the snot out of the trigger. press slowly, be surprised when the round detonates.
    do not consider speed until the new trigger format is mastered.
    dry firing could help you. make sure to not disturb the sight picture during the trigger press.

Rocky7 likes this.
  15. surfer227

surfer227

Thanks for the advice. One thing I may be doing after watching some videos is gripping the pinky fingers tightly causing the barrel to tip. Ill try to get to the range again and practice close in before moving out.

As far as the Trijicon HDs sitting higher than the stock sights would you consider this an issue being higher line of sight vs closer line of sight over the slide. Im thinking slight angles between front and rear would negate this.

16. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Cannot address the 43, too small a grip for myself. I do have Tricijon hd's on all (7) of my Glocks. I do not have a problem with the sight picture, but you may be experiencing a problem. Again, take one platform, suggest the 19 and start from there. Hopefully the 19 and 43 fit your hand, neither do fit mine.

17. SCmasterblaster

2" at 40 yards? Great shooting! I try for 2" at 50 feet.

MNBud likes this.
  18. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

One thing was thrown into the mix before the guns were ever fired...the sights. I always fire my guns bone stock before making any changes. Kinda like salting your food before you taste it. If they hit right, out of the box, then problem solved. Oddly, I found myself flinching with my 19. When I discovered it, my comment was, "Are you kidding me?". I already had other Glocks in 9, .40, .45ACP and 10mm and I'm flinching with a Glock 19? I'm not sure if that was my issue or not,but I was able to work it out before the night sights were installed. I do agree with Rocky7 about taking one and try it up close.

Rocky7 likes this.
  19. SCmasterblaster

That's one of the advantages of living in the cities. There are always indoor ranges that rent out handguns. This gives one the opportunity to try out handguns before buying them.

20. njl

njl Crusty Member

Glock and Sig triggers are really different. I'd suggest some dry fire practice with the 19 and sight image 2 or 3. The "pocket Glocks" (42 and 43) are so small, even an experienced Glock shooter (like me...been shooting Glocks >15 years, GSSF master) can have serious accuracy challenges with them. At 15yds with the 42, I'm doing well if I can keep a mag worth of shots on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

Also, if you're not already in the habit of doing so, try shooting the Glocks from reset on all subsequent shots. i.e. Do not release the trigger. Just let it come forward enough to hear/feel the click of it resetting, then apply the additional pressure needed to break it again. You can do this in dry fire practice by holding the trigger back, and with your weak hand, pulling the slide back the fraction of an inch it takes to enable the trigger to reset.