Glock Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Way too busy
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of the day today, I had pulled over 5 cars and only issued 1 cite. On the other 4 vehicles I had ran a plate check, followed by a DL # check through dispatch. My FTO told me at the end of the day that if I keep that up, I'll wind up pissing off the dispatchers for making them run numbers only to come back clear with a warning.

As I'm telling my wife this story, she asked me if anyone else was pulling cars over. As I thought about this, I realized we are on a county channel with the county SO and another small village, I'm pretty sure I was the only one calling out traffic stops all day.

Am I going to piss off the dispatchers? Am I being too much of a nerd? Should I slow down? I drive through all the alleys and patrol the village, so I'm not trying to be a trooper here, just trying to do SOMETHING lol.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
They have a job and are expected to do it. If they don't like their job or its responsibilities, they can transfer to records/equivalent position or quit. You will have to put up with details and functions you would prefer not to do either.

New officers are always a bit eager and there is nothing wrong with it. If you are new and not looking for things, you'll have management getting ticked at you.

·
Unfair Facist
30,105 Posts
What the hell do the officers there do if they are not running any tags?

Piss on the dispatchers that is their job, they don't like it they should find another one.

·
Zombie Jeebus!
1,414 Posts
Probably, but ****'em. They're not at work to do nothing, and neither are you. Don't be surprised when they send you on a barking dog call across town when they get their panties bunched.

·
©South Fla 2019
4,056 Posts
My wife is a dispatcher and she would be glad if the officers on her shift only ran a plate and a DL. Most of the guys here now run:

1. Plates
*ownership
*larceny
2. DL's (On the driver and all occupants.)
*Home state
* States they have lived in the past.
3. Warrants (On the driver and all occupants.)
*County locals
*The 5 surrounding counties
*LINK - State warrants only
*NCIC
4. During business hours, they call the insurance companies to see if the drivers insurance is in force.

Sounds to me like your dispatchers are getting off light.

That is their job to tickle those keyboard keys for information for the officers on the street and as long as you are not doing it in the middle of hot calls...so what? Run that info.

·
Super Moderator
19,832 Posts
Are you expected to be runnig things on a computer instead of over the air?

(Yes, there are safety concerns; I wanted to start with SOPs.)

·
©South Fla 2019
4,056 Posts
I showed your post to my wife and this is what she replied:

If he has TRUE dispatchers....as long as he is polite and very patient. Then they should not care what you run......just don't say "radio do you have my info yet" You will get it when it is done.

Happy running

·
NRA4EVR
12,688 Posts
South Fla;11550396 said:
My wife is a dispatcher and she would be glad if the officers on her shift only ran a plate and a DL. Most of the guys here now run:

1. Plates
*ownership
*larceny
2. DL's (On the driver and all occupants.)
*Home state
* States they have lived in the past.
3. Warrants (On the driver and all occupants.)
*County locals
*The 5 surrounding counties
*LINK - State warrants only
*NCIC
4. During business hours, they call the insurance companies to see if the drivers insurance is in force.
When we run a plate, it gives two returns: DMV and CLETS (California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System) - CLETS shows if it is listed as stolen in CLETS or NCIC.

A warrant check return contains:
-Local warrants
-CLETS warrants
-NCIC warrants
-MUPS (California Missing and Unidentified Person System)
-DVROS (California Domestic Violence Restraining Order System)
-Mental Health Firearms Prohibited Persons
-SRF (Supervised Release File - parolees, probationers from counties that enter them into the system, sex and arson offender registrants)
-DMV DL record

All that from just typing a name and DOB.

As far as insurance, if the driver doesn't have proof in the car, he's getting stubbed for it. It's not our job to contact the insurance company and see if it's actually in effect. He can do that on his own time, and go to court on his own time to show proof.

·
Duct Tape?
348 Posts
They're probably not getting mad, most don't mind it. Here in KY, if you run a plate, it returns vehicle info/stolen/owner's OL + status and up to 5 years history/owner's state and interstate wants/MRIs (they won't tell you crap about MRI unless you ask because it doesn't really mean anything). Heck, when I was a terminal operator (given, it was non-dispatching), I always wanted the officers to come back with something to run, just to see if I could find something worth anything.

Also, if there are hits, they come up in blue on the dispatcher's screen, and each section shows up in a separate message (KY's NCIC system looks like e-mail). So, basically, you give a tag, and there job is so easy they have no place to complain. They do get mad between Thanksgiving and Christmas, because sometimes there are good Christmas movies on TV that only get shown once or twice a year.:whistling:

If they're getting mad, it's because "that new guy won't shut up." After a little while of all the runs getting you stops and arrests, you'll become "a heck of a cop who makes tons of arrests" and they'll be happy to run tags and people, even if you are still doing just as many. It's a weird process.

·
Duct Tape?
348 Posts
FiremanMike;11550775 said:
Well thanks I appreciate the replies. Sadly we don't have computers, so that's not even an option for me :/
Don't feel bad about the lack of MDTs. They are handy, yes. But, our tire sidewalls and hubcaps never looked as bad before we got them as they do now. I'm just waiting for the day one of us drills the back of a car we're running that just happened to stop at a yellow or red light.

·
©South Fla 2019
4,056 Posts
ateamer;11550714 said:
As far as insurance, if the driver doesn't have proof in the car, he's getting stubbed for it. It's not our job to contact the insurance company and see if it's actually in effect. He can do that on his own time, and go to court on his own time to show proof.
I agree with you 110%.

The over-zealous JBT's here call the insurance company even if they have proof and it appears in force. Their excuse is "well, they could have gotten proof and then canceled the policy" bull****.

FiremanMike;11550775 said:
Well thanks I appreciate the replies. Sadly we don't have computers, so that's not even an option for me :/
My reply with the things guys run are all done over the radio.

·
Zippy's Friend.
6,662 Posts
Here if you tear them away from their sandwich and actually make them key up on the radio, they're pissed off. AFAI am concerned, it's a game to see who can bug them the most during a shift.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Pissing off dispatch is a given. It's gonna happen. Then they'll love you, then they'll hate you again, it's just a fact of life.

Do what you need to do to perform your job correctly. If they get snotty, everyone else will hear it. That being said, take some direction from your FTO. You're still early on in your FTEP, so ask your FTO about the appropriate levels of activity. He'll let you know if you're slacking.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
SPDSNYPR;11556865 said:
Here if you tear them away from their sandwich and actually make them key up on the radio, they're pissed off. AFAI am concerned, it's a game to see who can bug them the most during a shift.
I just found today from one of the officers that he had an issue with one of the dispatchers. She said that she was his boss and that he had to do what she told him.

He went and found a big party and ran 35 city ordnance parking violations. We treat them as an offense and require an offense folder. For the officer it is one piece of paper. She was spending the next 6 hours doing call cards and folders.:supergrin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts