close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Am i paranoid?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Glockin26, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Glockin26

Glockin26

I have been carrying for 2 weeks on errands but not to and from work or other places where my pistol would be left in my vehicle, and have been more alert since doing so. Yesterday i went airsofting (like paintball but shoots plastic bb's) in a town Ive never been too. I did not carry because i dont leave my gun in the car as i have no where to lock it. My brother and girlfriend came along to the outing as well. The day went good and my GF had fun for her first time. On the way back she had to use a restroom so i pulled into a 76 which was attached to some other "establishment" in which i did not remember what it was. She went in while my brother and i sat in the car waiting. I did not see her after she entered. After i lost sight i saw that she left her cell phone in the car. My mind began thinking worst case scenarios such as some one beating her up and sexually assaulting her while I'm sitting in the car. Since she left her phone in the car there was no way to call for help if something indeed happened. I kept thinking i should of gone in the store and waited for her but i was naked without my sidearm. I'm a small guy (5'8" 140lbs) with no martial arts/self defense knowledge at all. I felt somewhat powerless and just hoped she comes out okay. Three minuets pass and i see her exit and purchase a ice-cream sandwich with a great relief on my mind. She gets in the car and we leave.

Is this normal? I never use to think about these things before i got my CPL. I think i need to find out a way to carry all times. Please leave some sort of comments or feedback if you can.
    Thanks

2. MoJo33

MoJo33

You can't carry everywhere, I'm off to Italy and can't bring mine and I feel very naked.

We must just remember, the best and most deadly weapon we own is on our shoulders, the gun is just a nice tool.

3. Cool Impala Glocker

Cool Impala Glocker NRA Member

I think you were just probably thinking of worst case scenarios. I, myself, just recently started carrying. I have a disablity that makes me to be WAY more alert of my surroundings. I am very visually alert...I kinda scan the area of where I am in, at, going and the general people going in/out.

Like you said..you were at town you were not very familiar with. You pulled into a 76 gas station (which I presume) and your woman went in. I KNOW there is no SET rule of when some one will attack or whatever, but if you kinda feel uneasy from the get-go, You should have walked your girl in.

Since you were naked (so to speak) I would have just walked my girl in and stood by the door waiting for her at the restroom doors. If you were to pull in at a big time semi truck stop...that would warrant (for me) to carry regardless for whatever rules/laws is posted.

I think you were just a tad bit worried, which is perfectly normal.

4. The Hawk

The Hawk

You are not paranoid. You are starting to establish situational awareness. That is a good thing. I realize that you did not have your handgun with you. Everything went OK so don't worry about it. Learn from your mistakes. I am not cutting you down at all. We all make mistakes. Next time do what Cool Impala Glocker advised and walk GF to the restroom. If the hairs on the back of your neck stand up when you are in a certain situation, that usually means something is wrong. It is 10,000 years of evolution telling you to pay attention. If you are not comfortable carrying your firearm some places then consider carrying a good knife and practice with it.
    Good luck and stay safe.

5. feelinlucky?

feelinlucky?

Go to a gym, get in shape, take some basic self defense lessons. The one good thing about your body, you are never without it...it is your last backup weapon. I have a locked box with a cable that hooks on to the base of my car seat for those times I can't carry someplace.

6. Jeff G17

Jeff G17

Have you or someone you know been assulted? I am not afraid of plane crashes, but if or someone close to me were in a crash, I would be paranoid as heck of them.

7. B.Reid

B.Reid

Get a pocket gun that you can take everywhere. I have an LCP that goes with me when I can't take a holster gun. Places like work. It's been almost two years and even though I have told people that I have a CCW no one suspects I am carrying.

8. BK63

BK63

It's one thing to be aware, and another to start getting paranoid. Don't let one grow into the other. Chances are if something happened to her she isn't going to be able to make a phone call. Make sure she has a small can of pepperspray of some kind when she walks into something like that alone, especially at truck stops and places along the side of the road.

9. Glockin26

Glockin26

Myself no, ex girlfriends yes. At the time i was not with them though.

Im going to get some pepper-spray for both of us so she can have something extra. Although she is a black belt in Tae-Kwon-Do.

10. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

I think it's sad that you wouldn't get out to check on her and would just ''hope she's ok.'' Did you mention your concern to the your brother? I'd get my butt kicked before I just let my wife get hurt. I fully understand that you feel like your size is a huge disadvantage, and that a firearm more than compensates, but still... What if something HAD happened? I'd feel horrible if I hadn't got out of the car, especially with another male with me.,

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  11. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Get rid of that mentality. The gun is just a tool, you are the weapon. You are not paranoid, you just need a better plan.

It sounds like a smaller gun and/or in the car lock-box to secure your pistol would be a good start.

It also wouldn't hurt to seek out additional research and training in the aspects of personal defense to build both competence with your sidearm and confidence in your ability to defend yourself, even without it.

12. captdreifus

captdreifus aSun666

Wait..so if "hypothetically" you were unarmed, and your girlfriend maybe in a fight for her life..you would just wait in the car and hope she comes out??

..ishhh

13. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Yes, you're paranoid. No, it's not normal. Good job not carrying where you can't properly secure your weapon. Get a lockbox mounted in your vehicle to reduce how often you must leave your gun at home. Know that the average CCW'er will live a full and natural life without ever needing their gun for protection. Keep this in mind next time you start imagining horrific events.

14. Gear

Gear Silver C/O Silver Member

Thank you for not carrying while airsofting that could end badly in the heat of the moment. :wow: But in all seriousness I don't know what your load out is for airsoft but if I were you I would keep a 24 hour pack with water and such in it and find a safe way to secure your pistol in the pack and make sure its unloaded and it doesn't leave your sight period. If its unloaded really the only thing you have to worry about provided it doesn't leave your sight is it being to heavy and taking up space but like they say conceal carry is suppose to be comforting not comfortable. :rofl:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Wow, that is the saddest, most cowardly thing I've read in some time. You don't have a gun, so she's just on her own? The gun is a tool - if you can't handle trouble without it, you won't be able to handle most trouble with it.

No, it isn't normal to constantly worry about being attacked. It also isn't normal to be afraid to help somebody, or do anything or go anywhere, because you don't have a gun.

16. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Go get some martial arts hand to hand training. It will make you feel better.

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Excellent comment... It's all about mindset.

I'm not gonna comment on your unwillingness to go inside when you thought "maybe" your GF could be getting assaulted, etc.. You've had your balls broke enough over that....

Why is your gun constantly being left in the vehicle, and more importantly, at home...? I took a quick look at handgunlaw.us and in your whole post you never mentioned anywhere that you would be prohibited from carrying(except possibly work, but you didn't identify what type of work you're in)

You stated you have a CPL, so why are you not carrying? Your insecurities seem a bit irrational, but if carrying a gun makes you feel more secure, why are you not carrying it when it would appear it would have been perfectly legal?

IGF

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  18. farley45

farley45

This sums up my thoughts.

19. Glockin26

Glockin26

I don't leave my gun in my car becasuse I don't have any way to lock it up. I don't want it to get stolen. I do carry almost everwhere legal. I am a welder and can't carry or I could lose my job if I get caught. I will look for a lockbox and look into h-h combat. What type of defensive training do you suggest? I know they were irrational but I didn't know if they were normal so that's why I asked.

20. captdreifus

captdreifus aSun666

agree. :faint: