Am I paranoid? Flying with a firearm

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by triehl27, Feb 24, 2010.

1. triehl27

triehl27

Ok so I am planning a trip from Seattle to Boise. And I am taking my Kahr MK9 with me.

So it will be in a Center of Mass Pistol Safe; http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm.

The safe will be twin cable locked to various points on the frame of the pack.

Then the zippers will be locked shut with 3 dial master lock luggage locks.

So that is all pretty standard stuff. Here's where I deviate:

I want to add a Pac Safe steel net over the pack: http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=11 And the net locks shut.

Then place the whole thing into one of those plastic bags they use for car seats.

I realize that this all has to take place after I have it inspected by TSA. Are my security measures over the top? :faint:

The other thought I had was this...

TSA will obviously mark something to show that there is a firearm and that it has passed inspection. Would that be inside the bag or on the outside?

If on the inside on the safe then I worry less about attracting attention, and feel I could forgo the net over the bag as it would just draw more attention to the bag.

If on the outside advertising that there is a gun inside, I would want as much security as possible, right?

Thanks.
    I haven't flown with a weapon since pre 9/11 How much of a pain is it now? Could I also hear some experiences?

thanks
    TR

2. goatranch

goatranch

The best thing to do is to check with your airlines procedure on checking a firearm. My thought is after TSA checks it they may, during inspection between plane and terminal cut all your locks to check it again. Your airline website and TSA website is your best bet. I would follow their recommendations. That way if anything happens (loss, theft or further checks) have done EXACTLY what they said to do.

3. CRUZ CONTROL

CRUZ CONTROL

I took my g23 with me to flordia and had no problems , tsa was great . I placed it in a metal lockable gun case with two key locks on it , and a cable lock on the gun in side the case . and then placed the gun case in my bag to get put on the plane . They placed the unloaded firearms tag on the gun case before it went in side my bag so you couldnt see the tag so know one knew it was there . The only problem I had was the couple people checking in behind me standing there saying things like , I hope this guys not on my flight , Why would you need a gun on a plane trip and other stupid comments . After hearing this I turned around and siad well as a responseable gun owner this is how you transport a firearm on a plane . And im sorry you feel that way about firearms ! She gave me a dirty look and didnt say anything else .

4. Gallium

Gallium CLM

What if your bag gets stolen?

Aside for the possibility of your entire bag being stolen, you should be ok. I've flown with guns in checked luggage over a dozen times, been lucky so far. Here, TSA (actually, Port Auth Police Dept) inspects your bag in your presence, then you take it off to TSA.

'Drew

5. Surt

Surt Jötunn-Kin

You can't spend an hour at the Anchorage Airport without seeing somebody toting around a rifle case. Everything'll should fine, pending "**** happens." It's not like all the airport personnel will be watching your checked bag as it goes down the conveyors, thinking what a great idea it'll be to swipe your piece.

6. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

ship the gun. running it through TSA is NOT A GOOD IDEA.

some of 'em collect souveniers. chances are small but I personally couldn't ignore 'em.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  7. Adjuster

Adjuster

Sounds like your trying to get your gun stolen. All those locks, safes, nets etc is begging for a curious thief.

8. RustySocket

RustySocket

Overkill. It it's going to get stolen they will simply take it all and cut it off later. Your just attracting attention to it.

9. ddcarter3

ddcarter3

I fly all of the time with my guns. I use a plastic case with a small lock on the outside. I disassemble the G26 to make it easy on the ticket agent. Every airline is different. Some put the Unloaded Firearm tag inside the locked case, others on the outside of the case. They don't mark the outside of your luggage, this would alert people that there was a firearm inside. Like the other guys said, don't go overboard, this will draw attention to it. Also, airlines don't want the attention of the police looking for a stolen firearm.
    I always open my luggage as soon as I get it off of the carousel.
    I have had no trouble what so ever in at least 30 flights.

10. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Do you feel like people are plotting against you? Do you think that there are conspiracies at work to get you? People spying on you? Listening to your phone conversations? Reading your mail?

If you answered no to these questions you are not paranoid.
    Concerned about flying with a gun maybe, but not paranoid.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  11. g34fan

g34fan

Seattle to Boise......just drive!

12. FobulousGlock

FobulousGlock

are you serious? i would take a 2 hour flight over a 10 hour drive anyday.

13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

In NY that 2hr flight for me =

2hrs to airport
    2hrs to check in
    2hrs to fly
    1hr to get bags and clear airport

If I'm real lucky, my destination is within 40 miles of the airport, which means it's only 40min away
    = almost 8hrs

Or I can leave my house when I want, fully or partially clothed, with my knives, guns, bottles of water, and drive to my destination.

Leaving to get back home is much of the same. I don't have to build my departure around a 2hr cramped plane ride.

...and this is from someone who flies at least 50x roundtrip a year...

'Drew

14. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Just hide it in your carry-on.
    Just be sure to stash a bottle of water in your carry-on as well. TSA will be so flipped out about the bottle of water they'll never notice anything else.

15. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

The term overkill comes to mind.

16. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

one word: ridiculous

17. FobulousGlock

FobulousGlock

That maybe the case from NY but he is talking about Seattle to Boise. If you were to drive that, you have to go over the mountain passes under not so great conditions right now. :dunno:

18. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano VIVA MEXICO !!!

paranoid? no, I mean yes.

19. junkie

junkie

drop in a box to me and come get it when you get here

20. Intlmanofmyster

Intlmanofmyster nonameisgood

Yes, you are. I fly with checked guns all the time, maybe 20 roundtrips last year, maybe 50 this year. Use a Pelican inside your bag, two non-TSA key locks. The airlines are PROHIBITED from marking the outside of the bag as having a gun inside. I set my bag on the scale. Open it and open the locked case, pointing to it or simply saying "I need a firearm form, please.". Fill it out (or sign if they fill it out), and place it inside the case. Lock the case, close the bag, and let it go (or drop at TSA). Be aware that a metal box will probably result in TSA asking for the key since it interferes with the scanner. As will loaded mags. They seem to prefer ammo in the factory box, and there is a requirement that the primers be covered.
    Be at the baggage claim waiting when it arrives. I have only once had them pull my large, locked Pelican aside, saying that it looked like it had a gun in it. It did, and they just wanted to see my bag claim receipt and ID.