Am I doomed by my Stipple

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ddown, Jan 7, 2017.

1. ddown

ddown

I bought a used Gen 2 Glock 17 with the front and back grips stippled didn't realize it when I bought it it had rubberized grip tape on it. Can I cover it with sandpaper grip tapes and enter in the standard categories or am i doomed? Never shot a GSSF but they have monthly indoor competitions near me this winter. I'd like to participate.

bustedknee likes this.
  2. ohiojim

ohiojim

Technically your frame has been modified but I've never had a gun closely examined. While it is technically changed, if you install grip tape, which is allowed, I don't think it would be a problem. Just don't draw attention to it. If it is caught, all they would do is put you in the "unlimited" category.

3. ddown

ddown

I bought it and didn't even realize it until I tool off old rubberized grip tape. It sure is a fine shooter. All stock but smooth

4. Justin1911

Justin1911

Threads like this come around frequently. Let me sum it all up for you :supergrin:

Some people on here will say that a stippled grip regardless of the circumstance will put you in unlimited and is against the rules in any other division, which is completely true.

Some people will say that a little bit of stipple is not a competitive advantage or cover it with grip tape ( grip tape is legal) or sand it down a bit then shoot the match and have fun since it's not a big deal and nobody will likely notice. And they have a good point too.

Ultimately you can decide what you want to do

5. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I'd put grip tape on it and ask the officials at the match.

Wyzz Kydd likes this.
  6. wlkjr

wlkjr

Put grip tape on it and say nothing. Unless you shoot less than 40 it shouldn't be a problem.

7. powernoodle

powernoodle

Put your thinkin' hat on. Its a good excuse to buy another Glock.

8. MajorD

MajorD

Agree buy another pistol

9. Surtur

Surtur

gun is ruined

send to me for disposal.

10. ddown

ddown

Just got it best shooting glock i've ever had

11. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

More to the point, if you are shooting middling and not looking to be in the running for placement prizes, the ROs might be more likely to turn a blind eye to the mods.

12. njl

njl Crusty Member

If it's your only Glock, or only suitable one for GSSF, just cover it with grip tape, Agrip, or similar stuff, and don't worry about it. Technically, it's only legal for Unlimited, but so many modified guns show up at matches brought by people oblivious to the rules, if the stipling is minor enough that you didn't even see it initially, and its covered, I can't see anyone giving you a hard time about it.

13. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Oblivious is one way; actively disregarding is another. While the rules are black and white, individual enforcement (by ROs) is lax. Still, rolling in with a weighted magwell, extended and ported barrel and expecting to have someone turn a blind eye to the mods is beyond ridiculous.

Is stippling that much different from grip tape or Agrip?

Cred's Cariad likes this.
  14. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Stippling the frame is called out as a modification in the rules and as such, is only allowed for shooting unlimited division.

bustedknee likes this.
  15. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Yes, I understand that. I am asking, if the stippling is not a grip reduction, and no undercuts are made, IS IT REALLY any difference in the end. If YOU were allowed to make the decision, would you differentiate between them?

16. njl

njl Crusty Member

Particularly if the geometry of the frame has not been altered and the stippling has been covered, I'd say it's a non-issue as far as "competitive advantages" go. When formulating the rules, they have to draw lines somewhere.

If you show up with a Glock looking like this one, I'd say you've pushed the envelope past breaking point (IMO) with respect to what can be gotten away with:

[​IMG]

17. Glockrunner

I have in the past, handed the competitor the score sheet asking for a ruling by a Red Shirt (like sending them to the Armorer). Most that I remember have been a "Non Event" and shot the division assigned. But it is not my call to make for the most part.

18. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

There is a pretty good chance that you might get away with cheating.

In my opinion, if you can't cover it with legal grip tape, have fun shooting in the unlimited division. You will be welcomed there, with nothing to hide and a clear conscience.

Unless you were planning to win the match, you might not even notice what division you were listed in. It doesn't matter, except to the top shooters.

Don't let it discourage you from shooting GSSF, you might win a free Glock anyway. I did.

19. DSATL

DSATL

I'm new to this forum but not to GSSF. The original poster was interested in indoor matches. I don't think there are any divisions in indoor GSSF. The one indoor match I did, everyone was lumped together in one group and there were no individual times, just scored for accuracy only.
    Maybe GSSF should put Gen 1 and 2 Glocks in a different class from Gen 3 and 4 and RTF pistols. After all, the grip surface of the gen 3, 4 and RTF provide a competitive advantage with their finger grooves and agressive texture compared to earlier models. I'm just kidding. To me it's a non issue, just put tape over it.

ChuteTheMall likes this.
  20. Glockrunner

From the Indoor Range Rules:

Each range has the option to allow only stock GLOCKS or to include models that have been modified with "all the bells and whistles on them." If altered weapons are allowed, they must be placed in the Unlimited Division.

ChuteTheMall likes this.