Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
1911 lover
10,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that in the home brew ar club that calibers keep coming and coming. 6.8 looked good to me several years ago.. some folks went 6.5 grendel and the 7.62 x 39 is popular. I bought a couple s&w .308 ars . Today watching nutnfancy test out the 224 valkyrie. Which I dont know much about.. to compete with another 222 round i dont know about. Dont know what happened to the 300 blackout.. that seemed like the perfect round a year or 2 ago.. AR builds have an infinate number of makers and parts and optics and triggers and barrel twists and barrel lengths and gas di or piston options.. I am ready to build something to shoot paper at 200 yards and I am just confused where to even start... how do you decide where to start ?? Seems like you need a couple years of study to start to sort out what to build. Plus I have bought 600 dollar s&w ar's that seem awesome.. but you could spend 5 grand on buying high end barrels and bcg parts and optics . I have built a couple m4 carbines that are flawless and I feel like i have no idea how to sort out options.

How do you keep everything straight and make a plan to build anything ?? Infinate options are not always good.

·
Premium Member
42,132 Posts
I have
.22LR
.300 BO
458 SOCOM

I think Im good. Over the years, I’ve looked at the newer cartridges available for the AR. I’ve always what can they do for me, or how can they do something better. They must have a purpose and do something different or better than what I currently have. Niche caliber or simply a fun-gun caliber?

I’ve played with 6.8 and 243 Win as well, parted ways with both of them

Reactions: Teecher45

·
Anti-Federalist
21,421 Posts
I don't have a specific "need" for other calibers. I stick to NATO flavors I can readily stock. I have zero interest in owning a dozens of different caliber for the same rifle.

·
Formerly TFLWYO
1,346 Posts
For punching paper at 200 yards, don't overthink it. Just stick with a standard .223/5.56. It sounds as if you already have that covered without needing to build anything. After you have that covered, specialize for particular applications. Figure out a new goal and then research it and choose your components accordingly.

·
18,953 Posts
Seems that in the home brew ar club that calibers keep coming and coming. 6.8 looked good to me several years ago.. some folks went 6.5 grendel and the 7.62 x 39 is popular. I bought a couple s&w .308 ars . Today watching nutnfancy test out the 224 valkyrie. Which I dont know much about.. to compete with another 222 round i dont know about. Dont know what happened to the 300 blackout.. that seemed like the perfect round a year or 2 ago.. AR builds have an infinate number of makers and parts and optics and triggers and barrel twists and barrel lengths and gas di or piston options.. I am ready to build something to shoot paper at 200 yards and I am just confused where to even start... how do you decide where to start ?? Seems like you need a couple years of study to start to sort out what to build. Plus I have bought 600 dollar s&w ar's that seem awesome.. but you could spend 5 grand on buying high end barrels and bcg parts and optics . I have built a couple m4 carbines that are flawless and I feel like i have no idea how to sort out options.

How do you keep everything straight and make a plan to build anything ?? Infinate options are not always good.
The 6.5 Grendel has the best ballistics of all the AR15 compatible rounds but the ammo was always more expensive. But now I see AIM Surplus is selling Wolf 6.5 Grendel for prices comparable to 5.56

·
Consummate Reloader
1,397 Posts
I was 223 only for 20 years and was bored with it. I got a pistol in 300 BO and love it for short range work. I bought a 1000 pieces of converted brass and some heavy Berrys bullets and love snapping at targets at 50 yards with a cheap red dot. I've never even tried a super load. I doubt if I ever will. Still waiting on the suppressor to get out of jail.

I also got a 6.5 Grendel upper and some cheap russian ammo. The Grendel isn't all that impressive even with high cost ammo and since loading my own is very pricey I'm not all in yet. I do want to try a few more loads but I hate paying 0.40 a piece for brass and 0.30+ per bullet and not getting what I can get with 223. For that loading cost I might was well load for an AR10 caliber.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yep 5.56 and 300 blk fits my needs also.

Smokeless- you should give the supers a try. I shoot the Berrys heavies too. Lots of fun. Wish I had a suppressor. Just have to quit being lazy and get the process started.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I don’t go for new hot calibers , that’s just marketing gimmicks made to separate fools from their money. 5.56 , .308 , 12 gauge and 9mm are my go to calibers.
Agree. And like ReaPer said, it’s all about money.
I’ve been all over the place searching for the “perfect CC pistol” and the “best” rifle for all-around.
Spent a lot of money figuring out a quality AR in 5.56, a good bolt in .308 (don’t skimp on the glass), a boring, reliable 12 gauge, and a G-19 is all I needed all-along.
I don’t regret anything though, it was mostly fun.
And, now I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Turk3196

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I've stated my opinion of "boutique" calibers before and have been flamed. However, I like the old standards. Until they're broken, I don't plan on fixing them. YMMV.
Agree. And, with modern bullet tech, the “old standards” keep getting better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: vikingsoftpaw

·
1911 lover
10,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have 2 factory 308 ar's from smith. For plinking at 200 yards its way overkill. But 308 is a nice round. I have several 5.56 Ar's. And usually run 62 grain or 68 grain ammo.

I have some ar lowers and want to build something.. but dont know where to start. Just looking at buffer tubes and stocks the choices start to overwhelm me.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
At the ranges I shoot 300 BLK, x39, and 223 are fine. I keep toying with the idea of 6.5 Grendel but I'm not going to be shooting at the distances where it shines.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I like to try various rounds because I like to reload and experiment with suppressors.

300 AAC/Blackout
45 ACP
9 mm

I also like to have the long distance or heavier hitting options

6.5 Creedmoor
6.5 Grendel
308 Winchester

I don’t see going smaller caliber with the Valkyrie. I’d stick to 5.56 mm and 223.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

1 - 20 of 31 Posts