close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

always interested in Leo

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ninjazx6r, Jan 3, 2010.

1. ninjazx6r

ninjazx6r

Hello all

I have always been interested in a career in law enforcement, but I have a couple questions for all of you LEO's that frequent this forum. What is the best way to start this process. I am new to the Columbus OH area and don't really know any one to ask or any way to find out, I have tried searching this online and just get sent in all kind of random directions with out ever really answering any questions I have.

Any help would surely be appreciated.

2. Mattz

Mattz

First you have to find out what departments are currently hiring and then begin applying. It's a lengthy process at most places. Ohio, from my understanding, isn't the best state to seek Law Enforcement jobs right now, though.

3. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

How old are you and where are you at with education/work right now in your life?

4. ninjazx6r

ninjazx6r

I am going to be 22 in Feb I have my high school diploma and work in a non LE field right now. But the job is a job and pays well, I have been at my current job for a little over 3 years.

5. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

Don't know about Ohio, but I am sure they do ride along.
    Check with the bigger PD's in your area and call them on their regular number.
    Tell them you would like to ride along and what you need to do.
    Once you set this up, don't wear jeans (dockers are fine), no camo or all black and bring a flash light.
    If they have a reserve program ask what you have to do to get into this.

6. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Check with the PD for eligibility requirements, ask about ride alongs. I would suspect that with no further education than a high school diploma, you may be a little low on the list of eligible applicants, if there are others with more education or life experience. You may also want to consider corrections for awhile in order to just get your feet wet.

7. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

I agree.

Does your work have a tuition reimbursement program? Start college on nights and weekends, keep your personal life decisions in check, work out regularly, get into a running program, see if you can do some ride alongs or a citizens police academy to get the feel of what the job is like.

Things are tough now - with the economy not many departments are hiring (at least in my area). Take the time now to get started on your college especially if your job pays well. In a few years when the economy and hiring picks back up, start applying for LE jobs.

8. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Also-

Next time you see that a department is hiring, pick up the application. You don't have to turn it in right away, but it will give you some goals and ideas what you will be getting yourself into by reading through the application and attending any orientation meetings they do.

9. Hack

You may also want to consider the military. They will usually help you get focused in the right direction for a University education if you apply yourself. It is also a lot less expensive that way. Be aware there are considerations that go along with that.

10. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

As others have stated there is a ton of competition for the few LE positions out there.

Do you have any LE/emergency response volunteer experience? Explorers, auxiliary, reserves, fire/ems, or SAR? Do you have any military experience? Do you speak a foreign language?

Do not take it personal, but just meeting the basic age and education requirements will not make you a strong candidate.

11. ninjazx6r

ninjazx6r

Thanks for all the help guys, I understand that I might not be the perfect canidate for a LE posistion but I think with hard work and determination I will be able to do it.

I have also applied for a CO posistins in my area and have had my fist interviw and am waiting to hear back from them. I will take all of your suggestions and move forward with some of them.

As for the tuition reimbersment my job only covers an education that will benefit them and a LE career isnt one of them.

12. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

To be competitive in law enforcement - you don't need a Criminal Justice degree. Departments like a lot of diversity. Finance, Languages, Accounting, Business Administration, Computer Science, etc....can all be helpful in applying. Many department just look for a bachelor's degree, not specifically a criminal justice bachelors degree. a business admin degree may help you be competitive not only at time of application, but also when you apply for detectives as you can investigate financial crimes with more knowledge.

13. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

IF your current employer will pay for a related degree field, DO IT. You can't be a cop forever. Whatever you are doing now IS a job and pays the bills, as you said. Good to have a back up plan when some *** clown spits hep-c into your eye or you blow your knee out helping the coroner power lift a 350 lbs dead lady from off her toilet where the GI bleed got her.

Best of luck!

14. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

That's a good thing. Most people here will tell you to stay away from criminal justice and criminology and get something completely unrelated. As I've said here a dozen times, college is about knowledge and growth, not job training or skills. That's what vo-tech school is for. Having some education in an unrelated field will make you a better applicant and a more well-rounded human being. It might even make you a better cop.

If you're not stuck on geography, come south. The competition is there but the quality of applicants is not.

True story? Gotta be.

15. ninjazx6r

ninjazx6r

would a vo-tec backround help me in any way, I have 3 years of Auto Tech from when I was in high school.

I will be emailing HR tomorrow morning to find out about there tuition reimbersment.

16. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

It could help you with college. I left active LE for a couple years and went to a private college which gave me 18 hours of elective credit for the police academy and 10 credit hours for some high school courses. That meant that I started college as a sophomore and completed a bachelor's degree in three years.

17. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

Police departments generally do not care what your degree is, just that you have it. In fact, many departments, including mine, do not car for applicants with CJ degrees. So if your employee will pay for some college do it.

18. Hack

Again, I will put a little more about the military angle on here as well. I am a veteran of the US Army, and Army National Guard. There are good opportunities for education through both the active and the reserve components of the military.

If you have scored high on the ASVAB already while in Secondary School/High School, then you should not have a problem qualifying for something that is close to what you want to do in LE. You can take MP/SP training and transfer that knowledge over to a civilian LE career field at all levels of government, especially if you get a degree while in the military.

Also, in the US Air Force, any course you take and pass is eligible for credit in college, many things in the US Army can be applied to some credits in college. Of course, keep in mind military service isn't about just earning your way through for a civilian career, it also entails service to your country and the possibility of making the ultimate sacrifice in service to your country is there.

Don't forget the CLEP and http://www.collegeboard.com/. This can help further you along in your career goals and goals concerning education.

19. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Do a search on this forum, call your local department and ask to talk to a recruiter or hiring authority. Ask for referrals on who you can also talk to. Research your departments online and most of them have recruiting, employment, or "How to join us" links for jobs.

20. Detectorist

Detectorist