Aluminum or plastic forearm?

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by cfr, Sep 26, 2020.

1. cfr

cfr

Greetings, on a converted Saiga I currently have this, but am drooling for this.

However, I've read that aluminum gets hot faster. This makes sense, but this specific case we're talking about plastic w no holes to aluminum w lots of them, and it seems like that would play a big factor.

Note I'm not really a mag dump kinda guy. Plans for this are SHTF and some classes.

I realize nobody can tell me "it will get hot in this many rounds", but should I expect it to get hot quicker than what I've currently got in my intended use?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  2. milsurpy

milsurpy

Option 3. Wood.

Gaston_Convert likes this.

3. cfr

cfr

I appreciate the idea, but no thanks

4. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow Custom Title Goes Here

Metal is a much better conductor than plastic, so while the aluminum one might cool off faster with those holes, I would assume it will still get hotter faster than plastic.

5. DrewBone

DrewBone

Next time please change the color of the hyperlink text a bit more so folks like me with not-so-great-eyes won't have to wonder WTF you're talking about ;)

Unless you have plans on adding all kinds of doodads to that forearm, IMHO those types of rail systems are a waste of money, and since you say that your Saiga is converted (by converted I take it you mean that its FCG has been removed, an original FCG has been installed in it's original position in the receiver, and a pistol grip's been installed?) you should get the required bracketry and install either the standard wooden or plastic upper and lower handguards and an original pistol grip.

There's a pre ban Norinco AKM folder in 5.56x45 on consignment at a local shop by me, and it's got a railed top cover, a 4 rail cheesegrater forearm, and a non original finger groove pistol grip on it, and it looks rediculous, like a CAR stock on a Mosin Nagant 91/30 rifle rediculous. The owner is including the original wood furniture to go with it along with a number of mags, but he want's stupid money for it. I think that if he reinstalled the wood furniture he might actually get someone who likes to spend money on pre-ban rifles interested in it, otherwise it is going to sit there for a looooooong time...

As far as your question about aluminum...it's a material that both absorbs and dissipates heat very quickly (this is why heat sinks for computer CPU's are made from aluminum extrusions), whereas wood is not so fast at this temperature changing game.

I've watched guys doing 75 round drum dumps through their FA AK's until the handguards caught fire, and all they wore were leather palmed gloves. And if you're here asking about heat issues then it's doubtful that you'll be doing anything similar so buy whatever you want, and if you find that the aluminum rail thingie heats up too quickly then space out your shots or wear gloves :)

6. cfr

cfr

Yeah it’s really converted. I don’t want to add anything to it, just change the looks. Will color code links going forward. Thanks for the info

7. cciman

cciman MacGyver

If you are not doing torture testing, temperature does not matter. Don't waste money on looks.
    I've done classes with amd65 with aluminum hand rail, and it never got warm.
    Choose either based on what qualities you want (rails, mounts, doodads, ease of install etc.). Aluminum will be unforgiving on hands (cuts and bruises), and scratches easily.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  8. destrukto

destrukto

Zenitco posted a video awhile back comparing aluminum and standard plastic handguards with regard to heat dissipation.

Unless you’re doing full auto mag dumps it really isn’t something to be concerned with
    I’ll see if I can find the video when I get home where I have access to a proper computer

9. cfr

cfr

Awesome, thanks!

10. destrukto

destrukto

Here's a link to the youtube video that Zenitco published on heat dissipation between plastic and aluminum handguards. Basically unless you're doing full auto mag dumps you're going to be fine either way

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG-_25J2kVA

11. amd65

amd65

I just added the Magpul Zhukov-U hand guard to my Saiga, and I’m pretty happy with it.