close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aluminum mag release causing damage?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ConcealedG23, Mar 17, 2012.

1. ConcealedG23

ConcealedG23

I am interested in an extended mag release for my Gen4 G23. I found one that is all aluminum. I thought I saw somewhere some discussion about AL mag releases causing damage to the plastic mags. I did a search and can’t find anything here on the site. Can anyone give me any input? It’s greatly appreciated.

D

2. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

I shot four matches with an aluminum mag catch before I decided to throw it in the trash. It was very hard on the magazines . Stick with the factory part or a polymer aftermarket part.

3. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

I also had a aluminum mag catch and it caused me problems when locking the slide so I did the same as Dragon1970=File 13 for it. Went back to extended stock and problem solved.

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Metal against metal = OK

Polymer against polymer = OK

Metal against polymer = big problems

5. ConcealedG23

ConcealedG23

Three out of three saying don't do it. That's enough evidence for me. Thanks for the feedback.

D

6. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

7. Alcoy

Alcoy

^^^^ this.

8. ConcealedG23

ConcealedG23

Can you guys let me know what exactly the problem was? Did damage occur on mag insertion or when you dropped the mag? Do you think some work/machining could be done to it to correct the problem? I’d really like to know what exactly is the nature of the problem. If you can post a picture, that would be great.

D

9. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Replacing the plastic mag release with a metal one is such a bad idea, it should have been rejected while it was still on paper. I can't believe anyone even makes them.

Whenever you are designing something that has a rubbing action going on, it's usually (with certain rare exceptions) the cheaper part, or the one that easiest to replace, that should be made of the softer material because it's the softer one that will normally take almost all of the wear. I'd be surprised if these things don't also damage frames with enough use. And I doubt there's any possible fix other than not using them.

There are extended ones already being made out of molded plastic, like they should be, and I'd suggest just getting one of that kind. You won't go wrong sticking with the original material on this kind of aftermarket part.

10. ConcealedG23

ConcealedG23

So now that it's unanimous, is there a difference between the TopGlock plastic extended mag release ($30) and the factory Glock extended mag release ($6), or is the only significant difference the price?

D

11. jcs71

jcs71

Well I am going to burst the bubble here. I have used a metal mag release from Arotek for years without a single problem. My factory release was snapping the upper edge off the cutout on the mag body. Therefore rounding that edge off. Considering that the upper edge is what the catch holds onto, I thought that that was not a good thing. This was happening during the AWB years while using expensive preban mags. I found the Arotek one was fitted to the cutout on the mag body better than the factory one was.

So once I changed that out I tested it on a new preban at that time mag, I had no further problems since. It fit perfectly and functions perfectly as well. That is my experience.

12. mymini40

mymini40

Dont change Perfection.

13. ConcealedG23

ConcealedG23

I haven't had my G23 real long, 3 weeks, and I can already see wear marks from my stock mag release. I may have to give an aluminum release a try t
    Just to see.

D