Alumahyde II

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by VoodooMountain, Jun 18, 2018.

1. VoodooMountain

VoodooMountain

I came across a gen 3 17 that has had the finish stripped off the slide and barrel. Very minor pit or 2.

Aside from sending it to glock for a re-finish I have been debating my other options.

Has anyone ever used alumahyde ii on a barrel or slide?. I understand cerakote, duracoat, guncoat, etc. are better but I dont want the hassle of getting setup for it.

Just need to add I have used the alumahyde on a couple of stocks and understand all the small details needed to get proper cure and adhesion. Just curious about its durability.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

I used it on a Mossberg 500 receiver. Curing is a pain. Overall quality was fair to good but it won’t take the place of a bluing process.

3. joeG26er

joeG26er Millennium Number 1143 Millennium Member

Take a scouring pad to it and voila battle worn finish!

4. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

The key with Alumahyde is make sure the surface is properly prepped, spray it warm (like sit the can in the sun for an hour or so), and don’t touch it for at least a month after spraying. It cures over time and there is no way to speed it up.

5. Squeeze

Squeeze

I have had good luck using it on AR-15 parts, like float tubes, barrels, gas blocks, etc.

I do a spray down with Gun Scrubber, and let dry thoroughly. Then I spray, and let hang, in my shop room, with a window fan blowing out of the room, for a few days. Then I re-assemble the rifle, and put it in the gun locker for a few weeks to cure.

I have painted several rifles, with different schemes, and have yet to have a finish issue, where the paint cracked, peeled, or chipped. These rifles ride bags on the bench, and hunt medium game to colony varmints, and some of that duty isn't kind to rifle finishes.

I have been happy with Alumahyde II.

Squeeze

6. quasii

quasii

I've used Alumahyde over the years to paint M14 stocks and FALs with excellent results and durability... All advice given in regards prep and cure are correct... Just paint, put it up and forget about it for a month or so. If you want a matte finish, very gently rub the surface of the painted area with fine steel wool after a couple hours of applying and put your masterpiece away.