close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alumahyde, etc finish on Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Dorsai, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Dorsai

Dorsai Millennium Member

Gentlemen,
    I'm thinking about turning one of my Glocks green and I'm soliciting feedback from others who might have done it. I've used spray & bake polymer-teflon finishes before and I have no doubt some molycoat from Brownells will work just fine on the slide. But, I'm unsure what to use on the frame. The description of the Alumahyde seems to indicate it would be the right stuff, but has anyone ever used it? How durable is it on the polymer frame?
    Thanks for any info you can provide.

2. JoeDBob

JoeDBob Can't Re Member

I don't have any personal experience with using Alumahyde on a Glock, but I doubt it will adhere to the polymer very well. I'm not sure of anything you could spray a Glock frame with that would stick well enough to be satisfactory.

3. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

I know that Tripp Research can paint your Glock frame a wide variety of colors.

4. Dorsai

Dorsai Millennium Member

Maybe this would be better suited for the general glocking forum. I'm not getting much of a response here. Other boards have posted more.

Anyway, I'm don't want to send it off to someone else to do professionally. The only assets to sending it off is the larger oven a professional has (only a benefit for long guns) and experience in knowing which product works best. I'm hoping to get that experience from my fellow Glockers.

From other boards, I have gathered the following couple of tidbits. Apparently RIT dye works pretty good on HK SL-8's and USC's. They are having pretty good success at dying the gray stocks black. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to dye a black frame another color.

Someone suggested I use the same polymer coating I intend for the slide and bake the frame at 200 degrees for an hour. If it works, great. But I'm more concerned about melting a frame when I fall for someone's sick idea of a practical joke. Anyone know the safe temperature range for the polymer frame? I should probably find out anyway as I live in Las Vegas and interior temps in a parked vehicle can get quite hot.

5. madecov

madecov book em' Danno

I know guys have been using the Aluma Hyde on synthetic rifle stocks with good results.

It does take a LONG time to cure, as in weeks. Don't touch your frame for at least a week once it's been sprayed or the stuff will chip. Ideally it needs 4-6 weeks to fully cure.

I have seen photo's of rifle scopes done with it and it looks pretty cool

6. Duke of Lawnchair

Duke of Lawnchair

madecov hit the nail right on the head.

I've painted a few M14 USGI fiberglass stocks for the M1A with Brownells Aluma Hyde and have had excellent results. No chipping and doesn't scratch all too easily.

Follow the instructions, and I know it's hard to do, but once you throw a few coats on DO NOT touch it for a week. You can cure it in the oven or if you'd like, hit it with a hair dryer but DO NOT touch it.

Jim