close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alton Brown on Ron&Fez

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Pawcatch@aol.co, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

He was great on Ron and Fez.I loved it when he slammed Cracker Barrel and Chilis.
    Did anybody else catch it?
    It'll be on again on XM at midnight.

2. JohniusMaximus

JohniusMaximus

I don't have XM, but you've got me curious. What was the deal with Cracker Barrel and Chili's? Coming from Alton it's gotta be good.

3. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

He pretty much went after big commercial chains in general,but he basically called out Cracker Barrel for selling their fake southern cuisine and for them putting real southern restaurants out of business.
    He has a new show out where he eats at mom and pop style food joints while traveling the country on his motorcycle.

4. General Sherman

General Sherman

Chefs often are critical of chain restaurants. They knock the food and the simplicity of the meals.
    I think they are jealous of success and competition.

I also search for something I can count on when travelling to an unfamiliar area. Local joints can be real hit or miss. Unless I have several good recommendations I am afraid of the "City Kitchen" or whatever.

While in one southern Alabama town I came across a chain eatery and was pleased they served wine and beer as well as good food.

Some chains are so good you forget it is a chain, like Carrabas italian. I think they outdo the local Tony's and Aldo's.

No, they cannot hold a candle to the authentic family joints in Saint Louis on the hill or Chicago or NYC's Little Italy. But we do not have groups of Italian families for generations in Atlanta or other cities outside of the Northeast.

5. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

Alton actually said he prefers simple,old fashioned meals from mom and pop joints,that's what his new show (Feasting on Asphalt)is all about.And the fact is that you can't really enjoy local cuisine at big chains.
    Why go to Bejing and eat at a KFC?Why not eat from a street vendor?
    I'd much rather have authentic food that makes me sick than eat at some mass marketing chain joint.

Alton also made the point that there isn't really any such thing as good or bad food,just real and unreal.
    For instance,he didn't like the cow brain sandwiches in Evansville,Indiana at first,but then he realized that it was still real.

6. tavo

tavo