close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AltiGen IP 710 voip phones-does anybody know about them?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by SW.FLA.glocker, Apr 19, 2007.

1. SW.FLA.glocker

SW.FLA.glocker

I need to move some AltiGen IP 710 phones to a SIP platform but they run on MGCP. I have heard that there is a firmware upgrade out there that will allow them to be SIP compatible.

Does anybody know anything about these phones? I could gain a $1,000.00/mo customer if I can find a way to bring these phones over to SIP.

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Well if your customer has purchased these phones don't they have a service contract on them? From the looks of them I bet they are $1500.00 phones.

Also I bet it's not necesarily the phones that need to be upgraded but the PBX platform itself.

The PBX call center manager is doing the firmware upgrade.

It is looking like version 5.0A is the latest and greatest.

From my experience with companies and PBX systems they never keep the service contracts current and when it comes time to do upgrades they are SOL.

3. SW.FLA.glocker

SW.FLA.glocker

The phones only cost the end user about $380 ea. He bought them in NY. We are now in SW Florida and he is not sure how to contact his vendor. I operate a hosted PBX company based off of SIP. These phones run on MGCP. I keep finding hints on my internet serches from Google that seem to mention a firmware upgrade; Altiware 5.1? or maby a version 1360? I just can't find any definitive answer. So far the AltiGen vendors we have spoken to on the phone don't seem to know anything about hosted PBX and keep trying to sell us an AltiGen system....LOL! They really seem to not know what they are talking about.

As for the upgrade of the PBX platform vs. the phone itself; it is definitely the phone that needs the upgrade. SIP and MGCP is kind of similar to the old VCR's. They used to have both Beta and VHS. VHS became to most common and turned into the standard to use. Hence, BETA fell by the wayside. It is the same with SIP and MGCP. SIP has become the industry standard. All of this should not matter though. The phone speaks whatever "language" it is given, in this case MGCP. We should be able to find a firmware that is programmed for SIP; if it has ever been written.