close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alternative History-Harry Turtledove

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by J.B. McQ, Aug 30, 2004.

1. J.B. McQ

J.B. McQ

Are there any fans here of Alternative History? I'm personally fond og Harry Turtledove's work. For a starter I would reccomend GUNS OF THE SOUTH. Turtledove is a professor of history and his books show the research he puts into his work. The above mentioned book deals with time travelers arming the Confederate Army with AK-47 rifles. The details and the politics of the time are quite accurate and were time travel possible, the story has a good deal of plausibility. I'm not quite as fond of the STARS AND STRIPES series by Harry Harrison, though not bad for a "beach read", I guess I just prefer Turtledove's style.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I've been reading Turtledove's alternative history novels for a while now. Good stuff!!!

I've also read Harrison's works as well, and while good, not quite as captivating as Turtledove's own.

3. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

i to have been reading harry for a few years. the great war storys are great and seem to go forever. i just finished the 7th book( or book 1 of the 3rd trilogy)now i'll have to wait who knows how long for the 8 th book. then there was the world war series where alins invade right in the middle of WW2. i don't know where he gets this stuff but i hope he goes for a while.

4. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

I really liked the Alien WWII series. However, I found that the Civil War series and the magic based WWII war in another universe tended to drone on and on.

The books could have been tighter. More on the situation as I really didn't care about the characters he wrote.

5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

The Worldwar (Alien WW2) series continues on until the sixties in three more books.

His "Misplaced Legion" series of 3 or 4 or so books is very good for fans of Rome, an entire Legion that gets zapped accidentally into another dimension, on another world, where magic works. Interesting (I read those in the '80s).

S.M Stirling's "The Peshawar Lancers" is an excellent alternative history book if you like Turtledove.

6. Chuck Perry

Chuck Perry

I read the first three in the World War series and generally enjoyed them. Though slow in places they were an interesting read. I then tried Guns of the South. Yech! Too slow for my tastes. Perhaps it is better enjoyed by a fervent Civil War buff.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Guns of the South was too slow of a pace?;P

8. Chuck Perry

Chuck Perry

Yeah. I think alot of it for me was the subject matter. I haven't made a study of the Civil War, so alot of the characters and places didn't hold meaning for me. Being more familiar with WWII history, the World War series held my interest much better.

9. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

The last WW2 one and the Second Contact (where the Lizard colony fleet shows up)series in the sixties is good. Khomeini vs the Lizards. :)

10. Razor

Razor Millennium Member

Anyone want a free well-worn paperback copy of Guns of the South?
    I finally found a hardcover edition to take its place in my collection.
    Send me a PM with an address, first one gets it.

11. Razor

Razor Millennium Member

12. Kasinefect

Kasinefect

Last night I picked up the latest entry in the series dealing with the invasion by the Race,(AKA lizards.) Interesting but I'm only up to about page 36.

13. Haephestus

Haephestus

I refuse to read any more of those books. Turtledove obviously approves of the actions of his "hero" Sam Yeager, in telling the Lizards about the US strike on the colony ships even though his betrayal caused the aliens to nuke Indianapolis. Yeager's actions, in any sort of real world, would rightly be considered treasonous and he would be rightly executed for them. The fact that Turtledove considers them to be the right thing to do disgusts me.

14. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

Had not thought of that but that's a good point. The Lizards never can thought of with sympathy. There is some moral ambiguity in their actions like destroying the Nazis but they did invade Earth and kill innocents.

They did not ask for surrender from orbit, just attacked. They were willing to nuke everyone except that it would have lowered the real estate value.

I will browse the new one when it comes out. In this the US ship gets to the Lizard Home Planet.

Turtledove and his editors need to get him to write more condensed books and forget his personal stories in them. He writes people like crap.