close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alright so I bought a Cast Skillet... Fail.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DrMaxit, Feb 7, 2010.

1. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

So after reading a thread earlier about the cast skillets and went out and bought a Lodge. "Pre seasoned" my ***. I went out to make some bacon egg and cheese samiches, no problem right? No.. everything but the damned bacon stuck to that joker, esp the bread. I thought "seasoning" was supposed to keep it from sticking. They turned out OK, had to toss the bread and just put some regular white bread on them, bacon turned out great.

So.. what did I do wrong? I even put pam and butter in the pan before each item that went in there, am I just spoiled by stainless and non stick?

I also checked out the site below and it basically threw everything I was ever told about iron skillets out the window. Says you should wash them, that pre seasoned pans just have wax on them ect. Check for yourselves.

Cast Iron Pans

Thanks for your input in advance!

2. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Preseasoned, BS.

Its gonna take a while to get that pan properly seasoned. But do it b/c you'll end up loving it.

3. ranger1968

ranger1968

Sounds like your heat was a little too high.....

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

It took me about a month to "preseason" our last one.

Heat the oven to 300 degrees.
    Rub a very thin coating of Crisco all over the skillet.
    Place in oven, after about 30 mins, turn oven off.
    Allow skillet to cool to room temperature.
    Wipe with a paper towel.

Repeat this about 30 times,.......:faint:

5. Thunderhawk88

Thunderhawk88 NRA MEMBER

+1 It takes a while to get it seasoned right.

6. OKGlocker

OKGlocker Geezer Member

It takes a while to season one of these pans, but its definitely worth it... Preasoned? Dont think so... The companies that make that claim dont have a clue...

I use the same technique as faawrenchbndr, but do it on my gas grill for about an hour at a time...

7. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Keep it dry. I used one of my sister's to feed my dogs (lol) and their slobber rusted it.

8. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Very good info.. and this is a serious question I have, but, what about some light sanding to smooth out it out a little? Not enough to take the "pores" out, but enough to maybe "cheat" a little bit.

After this thread I'm going to wash this pan like a mo fugga and then spend a day seasoning it. Is crisco ok to use? What about what that site says about "you must wash or you will have a rancid pan!"

Thanks fella's and ladies, this is why this is the best forum on the planet.

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Thin coat of Crisco. Bake at 350-400 for an hour or so. Let cool. Add another layer and bake again. Do this about four times.

Now you can use it. Afterward, wash without using any soap and dry. Add another thin layer of Crisco and bake it in again.

After doing this a while, you'll know when it's seasoned.

NEVER use soap on it. Ever.

Some people season in the grill but since we ain't got one, I use the oven.

It's easy, just time consuming.

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Very light sanding with very fine paper should be OK. I know people who have sanded down ruined pans and then seasoned them just fine. Once it is seasoned no soap!

The Crisco won't go rancid. If you use butter, lard or bacon fat it will. Stick to a neutral oil and it'll be fine.

11. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Ok so I shouldn't have to worry about the oil in the pan turning bad? I don't cook very often, my mom is a GREAT cook, deep southern style has a pan that was her mother's mother, smooth as glass. She just told me to season it about like was said above, and that she never washes it, just wipes it out and gets the stuck food off and so on, but she uses hers a lot more than I'll use mine for a while.

I'll do the oven method and maybe hit it on the grill when I have the time. So you're saying after every use to throw another layer of crisco on it and bake to retain the seasoning? I like it.. sounds like a bunch of work, but I think it'll be worth it. Already those eggs and bacon taste way better than any I've made in my stainless or non stick ware, and it wasn't even "seasoned"

Thanks!

12. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Ah got it! Crisco it is then! I'm getting excited seriously thanks for all the replies a big help. You posted this while I was posting my other so disregard the other questions I had, you just answered them. Thanks!

13. CoreyR

CoreyR

What about when you use it to cook something? Wouldn't you have to wash it then, since there will be bits of food and your cooking oil in the pan?

14. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

Warm wet towel with mild soap if any soap...Spray some Pam on the skillet while it's still warm (both sides) wipe with a paper towel. Store the skillets with a light coat of pam on them stacked (seperated by paper towels)

15. BEER

BEER bad example

i don't care what any website says, or any person for that matter, if i ever lose my mind and "wash" a cast iron skillet my grandmother, great grandmother, and at least 2 dead aunts will descend from the heavens and skin my ***.

i never did figure out the exact theology behind it but it seems like southern women have some sort of weird religion centered around their cast iron cookware. lol

16. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

Seasoned or not, just use real butter like Country Crock butter when cooking grilled cheese. For some reason, I can't believe it's not Butter and Smart Balance ruin and tear apart the bread, and flatten the sandwich.

I only use cast iron. And I get pissed when the other half throws my cast iron in the dishwasher and they rust. Then I have to go through the seasoning all over again.

17. Zonny

Zonny

I have 3 that are VERY old, have not been used in years and have A LOT of yucky build up on the outside of the pans.

I put two in the oven during a self-cleaning cycle and had some fire inside of my oven :shocked: and quickly shut it off.

I'm thinking about having them sandblasted. What do you think?

18. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

If it ever needs scrubbed,...use vegatable oul and salt.
    Use a paper towel and scrub away. After that wipe and rinse.
    Dry well, place in 300 degree oven for 10 mins to ensure all water
    is evaporated. Once agin,......apply a thin coat of Crisco

19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Just put it in a camp fire.

20. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

You gotta understand, cast iron was the only cookware southern women had 100 years ago. And washing cast iron was the equivalent to a carpenter or mechanic leaving his tools out in the weather to rust up. When's it's what you use to put food on the table, you tend to be picky about the care and maintenance of those tools. And cast iron is the country woman's tools.