close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Already eyeing up my next purchase!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by KiloBravo, Apr 5, 2010.

1. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

Okay, since I just picked up a PF-9, I can now scratch that one off of the wish list. In sticking with the outstanding 9MM cartridge, I figured my next one should be what else but a Sig P226??? :supergrin:

I just recently either shot the 229 or 226 chambered in 9 and I thought the DA to SA transition was great and a LOT of fun to shoot. I am not really too certain though between the differences are on the 226 vs. the 229?

I am looking to buy new, so if there is anything specifically I should check out on one of these weapons before purchase? FWIW, I have large, gorilla like hands. I was not sure if the grip dimensions were completely different between the two of them or not. All I know is, that one I shot of my friend's fit my hand like a GLOVE. I have never held another pistol that felt like it was made just for my hand only.

Any input is most appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  2. FEDLEO

FEDLEO I'm the rootenist tootenist shootenist

I too have large hands. I own a 226 and like it. However if your not sure which model I would go to the gun store and try them both

3. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

I have the 226 and have recently put Hogue panel grips on it. I think that this set up would definately fit the largest of hands.

If you are buying new, then there isn't too much to look for. Buying used can be a good deal as Sig's are quite durable. Look for wear on the frame rails and the internals of the slide. Also I always look for wear on the magwell because it can give you an idea how many times mags have been loaded/unloaded from the gun. Minimal wear=minimal usage. One other thing I look for is how spongy the mag springs are. If they are pretty loose/spongy then it has probably been fired alot. external holster wear doesn't indicate much usage other than the previous owner liked practicing his draw alot.

4. KiloBravo

That is exactly the type of response I was looking for. Somebody who has larger hands I mean. I think the one I liked so much was also a 226, but will have to call my buddy up to verify. I will also do as you suggested and check one or two of each out at the local shop.

Thanks!

5. KiloBravo

Very great advice. Thanks a lot and I will keep those things in mind when checking a few over. :wavey:

6. FEDLEO

FEDLEO I'm the rootenist tootenist shootenist

Well, I don't know what you consider BIG hands but this is me with a G26 awhile back.:whistling: Plus as you can see my hand isn't flat it is kinda curved holding the pistol.

[​IMG]

Anyway, that said I do like the 226 but by all means go look at several to be sure.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  7. bac1023

bac1023

The P226 is an outstanding pistol.

8. KiloBravo

I would have to agree with you on that one bud. I had a terrific time shooting my friend's the other day. It was way more accurate than me and I actually kind of like the exposed hammer with manual de-cocker.

9. Ruggles

Ruggles

I have smaller hands so I vote 229, but like others said try both and buy your pick.