close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Already disgusted with the human race - kudos to you guys/gals

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by jdavionic, Mar 25, 2010.

1. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I've had the privilege of serving on a Grand Jury. It's just 1 day per week for 6 months. Obviously I am not permitted to talk about any cases and will certainly adhere to this rule. But I have only been exposed to a tiny fraction of what you guys/gals deal with on a daily basis with respect to what people are capable of. Now I don't mean the incredible risks that you guys/gals take on. I mean learning time and again what people have done in our society.

I grew up in S FL and have seen my fair share of crime, etc. So it's not like I lived a privileged and sheltered life. But damn, I just hate hearing case after case where innocent children are the victims. It's not like these incidents are rare...unfortunately. They are much more common that I would have thought.

It's sad...truly sad. I have some good friends that are law enforcement. They have a common trait of being pretty negative about people in general. A guy in my neighborhood has been in LE for a long time. He is a DEA now. He has the most negative opinion of folks I have ever seen. After enduring this experience, I can understand why now.

2. lwt210

lwt210

After being in this line of work for a while, it is easy to get in a mode where you don't think highly of anyone. Family, friends, neighbors, fellow officers.....

It is not a healthy place to be.

I was there once and try to get away from work and socialize but it is still hard. Rarely am I in a social setting where my work doesn't come up in conversation....and it is always by others asking what it is that I do.

One thing that I have found that helps is helping out on my son's sports teams. I helped out a little in his basketball team and am one of the assitant coaches on his baseball team.

Gets me around other guys that don't do LE for a living and I enjoy that. Gives me faith that there are good folks left out there. You just have to go find them. Church activities help also.

I don't want to be the bitter old man that screams at all the kids to keep off the lawn when I get older.

3. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Fortunately after 6 months, I don't have to endure this repeated exposure. We review 500-600 cases in this duration. Folks that get immersed into drugs, etc are knowingly taking on risks. But the stuff that involves kids is what bothers me the most. The kids have done nothing to deserve this crap.

4. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

There are plenty of innocent people, in addition to kids, that don't deserve the crap that scumbags do to them...

5. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

You're right. I can't explain the basis for the strong assertion about kids without discussing specifics, which I can't do.

6. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

You don't have to discuss specifics of a case for me to get it that you have a soft spot for kids who are victimized by crime. I feel the same way. I also feel the same way about elderly, disabled and mentally retarded victims. It's a perfect (normal) human reaction to feel a particular outrage when people who can't defend themselves are victimized.

Unfortunately it's also human (and animal) nature (for scumbags) to prey on those who can't protect themselves.

I just also happen to see plenty of normal adults who get the short end of the savage stick on a regular basis...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  7. Fernman

Fernman Zombie Jeebus! CLM

8. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Yep...and I have similar opinions with respect to elderly, etc. When it comes to innocent victims, I have seen significantly more innocent victims that are children. But I certainly know there are others.

Anyway, like I mentioned in the OP title. Kudos to you folks for enduring and dealing with this on a daily basis. I don't know how you do it. Not blowing smoke up your butt. I figured it would be water off a duck's back for someone that has seen a lot in their years. I was wrong on this one...very wrong.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I have a few friends and coworkers that got to that point where they think all people are pretty much ****. I haven't gotten there or I haven't let it get to me like that.

I try to think positive and give people some benefit of the doubt, but then again, when you are in uniform and on a call, you have to just assume the worst about everyone you encounter. You can't afford to take people's word for most things and you pretty much have to investigate everything and take nothing for granted.

It's necessary for work but a horrible way to live. I think if I got to that point where I just think bad all the time, I would need to take a long vacation or just quit because I think I would have lost a large part of my humanity.

Sorry to be melodramatic but I don't want to be like that.

10. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

I remember the first time I told my dad that I wanted to be a cop, and he tried to talk me out of it by telling me how jaded cops get, how they assume everyone to be liars, how they turn into drunks, wife-beaters, or just general jerks (fine praise from someone never having been in LE). Anyway, not long before he died, I had a conversation with him about how I can understand why SOME cops turn into those things. He thought I was coming around when I said to him, "Just in my short time, I've seen things that by all rights should haunt me to this day, I shouldn't be able to sleep, I should be a drunk, violent sociopath who sees only the worst in people, but I'm not (since then I've seen MUCH worse, stories for another time). Could it happen to me? Yeah. Why do I risk it? Because someone has to, and you won't stand a post, dad. I've learned that when in uniform (Officer Ross), EVERYBODY tells me lies, even little white ones. When I'm out of uniform (Real Ross), people are just people, and I'm able to start everyone at zero, instead of negatve one."

Is it perfect? No, but learning to compartmentalize is what keeps me (somewhat) sane. There are the bad days, tho, for sure. Just have to find your own way thru, and stick to it.

11. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

That's what I've found in the very short time I've been in Corrections thus far that I have to do. Work stays at work, home stays at home. I never thought I'd really be able to do it, but somehow I can now. It's probably the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes.

12. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

My dad told me that although he understands and respects my wishes to be a police officer, he told me his fear is that one day, he will look into my eyes and see the empty stare of men whose eyes have seen horrors beyond mortal comprehension. It's not the physical body that he fears damage, he fears that my soul may be torn out from my being. No love, no hate, no emotion, just an emptiness that belies the horrors heaped upon a soul that finally gave up making any sense of a senseless world....

(or was that some war movie... I forgot)

13. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Somebody has been watching "The Pacific"...

;)

14. Napalm561

Napalm561

One of many things that has been stressed to me since I've been an Officer (just over 6 months) is to make sure to have friends that are NOT cops in addition to your friends that are. It helps you relax and not always think, or talk about the job. While I agree with this advice.....I can't help but to have an overwhelming majority of friends that are cops. I feel that we can relate with each other better than I can with my friends that arent cops. Non-LEO friends arent as "fun". But, in my opinion, non-LEO friends help officers have faith in humanity. It allows Officers an opportunity to answer questions my non-LEO friends have about our profession, and gives them a better understanding about what parameters our job entails.

maybe a little off topic, but just my 2 cents worth.

15. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I have friends from all careers and backgrounds, but I find that I relate to the cop friends on a different level. We know what we go through on the job and we think alike in that we know what lows humanity can sink to. That's the main thing, I think, that we have the sheepdog mentality while non-cop friends are more sheepish in that they don't think about safety and self-defense in public situations the way we do.

My close non-cop friends are all sympathetic to LE or former military. They understand the need for our vigilance even while off-duty and why we carry a gun 24/7 and why we act in certain ways such as sitting in the back of a restaurant and facing the door.

When you have been a cop for any period of time and you are a cop because it is who you are and not just a steady paycheck, you don't change the way you are and you are never really "off" even if you are not on the clock. Leaving work at work doesn't mean you stop being a sheepdog and the mentality is still there. That does translate into how you relate to friends and who you become closer with.

16. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Cop (and firefighter, paramedic, military, etc...) friends will laugh with you when joke about beating someone with a phone book in an interrogation room, or about how epileptic chicks make the best milkshakes....

Non-cop friends? Not so much....

17. ray9898

ray9898

No doubt that LE will change you as a person. Being a cop makes you take off the 'blinders' that most of society has on as it relates to the real world. Most people have a sense of security and go through life just hoping for the best.

When you spend your days going to those situations where things ended poorly, many times out of chance, you lose that security. You tend to change as a person, you change you views about the reality of the world, and you change your views of your fellow man. Is that a bad thing? It can be but it will always be part of the job.

18. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

There is nothing funny about beating someone with a phone book in an interrogation room. You pretty much have to whack them on the head and it is always a 2 handed swing. The head bruises too easily. You might also tear up the phone book and then you can't find the number to the vet or Gino's pizza.

Use sap gloves and punch the stomach, it leaves no marks.

19. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I wouldn't last as a LEO. These ideas and more would immediately jump to mind with some of these scumbags. A guy who has raped a 7 yr old repeatedly for a year and you get the call & make the arrest. I'd have a hard time convincing myself that driving him to jail was the best decision.

20. glock192327

glock192327 Where is eye

:rofl:"Epileptic chicks making better milkshakes"....lol. Making milkshakes isn't the way I thought that sentence was going. Hell, I love the dark humor. After almost a year on board, I still laugh after seeing Strangepork's "Free Candy" Van sitting out in the dark. Sick, but somehow funny. Or maybe it's just me? :faint: