close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Almost burned our engine to the ground (twice)

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by aspartz, Aug 14, 2006.

1. aspartz

aspartz

We were out at a mutual aid fire today. After about 2 1/2 hrs of working the fire I notice that the voltage is starting to drop off. Since we're parked literally in a hayfield, I can all of the reds and the situation improves, but only for a few minutes. As the voltage drops again, the electronic pump controller drops back to idle. Fortunately, this is a hay fire, not a structure and no one is inside.

I dismount the truck to see WTF is up and I notice embers dropping out of my pump compartment -- onto the dry grass. I hit the master disconnect and grab the fire extinguisher. In the guts of the truck, the primer motor is flaming and the battery box is smoking. One fire extinguisher later -- no more fire.

Tow/repair comes -- after cutting some of the singed wires and disconnecting the others, the truck runs and does not smoke!!!

I limp it back to the hall and we spend about our hours replacing fried wires and melted air lines. Turn on the disconnects, turn on the key (not started) and all seems to be well, no smoke, not hot. The suspected primer motor (replaced) is working. :director: :dancing: :bowdown: :banana: :banana:

One thing left -- fire it up and let the air build back up. Yet another fire extinguisher later, no fire. We missed one wire that had a bare spot melted into it and it found the battery post when the truck started to vibrate. More repairs tomorrow. If no success then, off to the pros it goes....

ARS

2. PeterJasonMN

PeterJasonMN ****

3. oldstyle

oldstyle Jeep Pirate

[​IMG]

This was my assigned truck last year. It was returning from warranty work (unstaffed) when this happened.