close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Almost 9mm MAX load

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by robhic, Sep 12, 2017.

1. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member Silver Member

I'd like to try to make up some reasonably hot loads for 9mm. I have some once-fired (I shot them...) nickel-plated cases rated for +P. Using manual data for non-+P loads, I was going to try 147gr cast flat-nose lead over 3.3gr of Bullseye. The absolute max (DO NOT EXCEED) is 3.5 gr resulting in 942 fps. IMO, it looks like I should be OK below 3.5 and 942fps shouldn't cut the lead (right...?) nor exceed MAX and using +P cases should keep everything safe. If this works, could 3.5gr (MAX) also be all right again using the +P rated casings? I'm not exceeding max-load and using +P rated cases I shouldn't have issues. Seems OK to me but that close to max, I thought running this past more knowledgeable folks was a good idea. OAL will be 1.058". Thoughts or warnings? Thanks!

2. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Where did you find the load data for 147 lead with Bullseye?

As far as "cutting the lead", if the load data you are using is solid and the bullets are +.001" or more to the bore diameter, you will be fine.

On the +P cases, don't worry about it, any commercial 9mm Luger case will work fine, up through +P.

es 350 and refugeepj like this.

3. Benchrst

Benchrst

As Will said don't sweat the cases, Major guys live off once-fired pickups.

And your post is a bit confusing, a HOT 147gr load and Bullseye don't really seem to jive.

Hot Bullseye load is one thing, hottest would use a slower powder.

es 350, WeeWilly and fredj338 like this.
  4. fredj338

fredj338

If you want "hot" loads in 9mm, ya dont use BE or anything in that burn range. AA#7 or longshot would give you higher vel with lower pressures.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

If you want to make some bad arss loads for the 9mm
    get one of these, mine fall at 131 grains,

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690574/double-cavity-mould-358-125-rf

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690306/6-cavity-mold-358-125-rf

I like HS-6 powder to make major loads.

That boolit is a good killer if pushed very fast, have blown about
    six inches of innerds out of a rattle snake with it.

Have shot it at 1670 fps in a six inch 357 sig, was super accurate,
    boolit was lubed with LBT blue, powder coated with HF red and also
    had a free check made from beer cans. That load used 800x powder.

I have had my worst results with nickle fed +P+ brass, better with
    star line brass, win is good too.

es 350, ironhead7544 and WeeWilly like this.
  6. Benchrst

Benchrst

99% of my 9mm loads are range fodder, 124s @ 1,070 (if I want speed I'll increase by 1mm and dust off the G20).

That said, the safest 'spicy' 9mm/147 powder is 3N38 (176PF is a book load).

7. jmorris

jmorris

You can make hot loads by setting them in the Sun for awhile before you shoot, once they are reasonably hot, put them back in the shade.

What is the end goal you are after?

I have pushed 115, 124/5 and 147 grain bullets all to "major" powder factor for testing and gun games but never used powders faster than HS-6 and slower is better.

8. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Proud Husband

Bullseye? Ummm.... no.

AA#7? Ohhh.... yes.

Green Dragoon likes this.
  9. robhic

I found it in a "Load Book" for strictly 9mm that I use a lot.

I thought I'd read above 1300 fps might require a gas-check so, again, this 942 looked OK.

I had 26 of these +P cases and 26 of the 147gr LFN T&B lead bullets. I thought it was a sign...:supergrin: In keeping with having just a bit more margin of safety (I figured it couldn't hurt) I thought my first time going higher than I normally load would be a good time to use these.

The Bullseye powder was because I have an almost empty container and figured I'd use it up for this smaller quantity of rounds to finish it off. With the above comments I may just hold onto it and use HS-6 or AA#5 instead.

Thanks for ALL the information. I figured it a good idea to get some ideas here and do everything with just a bit more than I might actually need to be safe.

10. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

What load guide did you find Bullseye and 147gr lead bullets?, I couldn't find any (but I didn't look in all of them.. :))

Bullseye certainly could be made to work, but likely more at target levels, not max velocity. As other have noted, in 9mm, you need slower powders to get max velocity.

refugeepj likes this.
  11. fredj338

fredj338

For +p loads, even aa#5 is a bit fast, though i have had good results with wsf & unique, but you are riding the edge. Btw, there isnt much difff in brass with +p & std. You are talking less than 3000 psi between loads.

es 350 likes this.
  12. robhic

More or less just curiosity and a whim. I generally load from low to about mid-range. I wanted to just try a bit higher power. These 147gr lead bullets have been tearing paper targets instead of punching a neat hole. I've gone a bit over mid so wanted to see if loading them higher might fix that. I'm thinking now about using AA#5 or HS-6 and saving the Bullseye for another time.

And I'll leave 'em in the sun a while before I start...;)

13. robhic

It was a spiral-bound book just for 9mm loads. I also have one for .45acp and .38/.357 too. I bought them to augment the Lyman manual a little. All have convinced me to use a slower powder and save the Bullseye. I'm gonna go look for another recipe to use.

WeeWilly likes this.
  14. robhic

Upon perusal of the same "Loadbook" I think I'll go with HS-6. Looks like 5.0gr is max and I've already done 4.7gr with less-than-exciting result so 5.0 it is!

15. fredj338

fredj338

The speed of the bullet has nothing to do with the hole, unless the bullet is tumbling. Shape of the bullet decides the hole in most instances.

16. Benchrst

Benchrst

What fred said regarding the 'unclean' bullet hole in your paper target.

If I'm not mistaken, most 147gr are a RNFP with a small meplat (tear paper, doesn't punch it). If you want an easy to see, perfectly punched hole, then use a SWC (which may or may not be available / feed well).

17. A6Gator

A6Gator

That's what I was thinking. I he's using regular cardboard IDPA or USPSA targets, if it's tearing, it either bounced off a barrel or it's keyholing, and that wouldn't be a powder issue.

18. gunowner1

gunowner1

What's the purpose for the hotter loads? Are you trying to mimic your carry load? Shooting for distance? Or is it just something you want to do? You can get close to the book velocities using what the book says but a chronograph is what you need to tell the true velocity. Don't get me wrong I don't own one but the older guys here who do say they've safely loaded "hot" loads by shooting over a chronograph.

19. fredj338

fredj338

A chrono is a guide, tells you where you have been & an idea where you are going. Really hard to work max loads or a nebulous vel goal w/o one. In fact, it is impossible as you will have no idea what actual vel you are getting.
    How it helps? As you add powder you will see a linear vel gain with each say 1/10gr of powder. At some point, the vel gain will flatten, as in you add 1/10gr more powder & the vel does not go up. That is really your stopping point. You are only increasing pressures at that point with most powders. It isn't telling you what the pressure is but telling you something is happening that should not be.

ironhead7544 and es 350 like this.
  20. gunowner1

gunowner1

Thanks Fred. I remember somebody here trying to go hot with 180gr fmjs with Longshot in 10mm. They found out through using their chrono that going above 10.2gr increased pressure with no gain in velocity. I will get a chronogragh one of these days. I only load target loads in 9mm, 45ACP, 40, 380ACP, and 10mm. If they are clean and accurate I am usually happy. If I ever decide to load hotter I'd definetly buy a chrono.
    Thanks Again,
    Rob
    P.S. When I got my 550B you answered every stupid question I had about reloading. Thank you for that.

fredj338 likes this.