Allergic Reactions

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by The Maggy, Apr 11, 2012.

1. The Maggy

The Maggy

This morning, I went from being fine(a little itchy but ok) to receiving my first shot of epinephrine... ever.

In the middle of class, my lips went numb and I could feel them and my tongue starting to swell. I excused myself from class and within five minutes I was struggling to breathe. My entire body looked as it I had bathed in poison ivy.

A few hours, a few hundred dollars, and quiet a few shots later, I am back to looking semi-normal; but this has me legitimately freaked out.

So, does anyone else here have to carry around an Epipen?

2. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Sorry to hear you have allergies that severe. Yes, I carry an Epi-pen daily on my belt as I almost died forty some years ago.Thank God for a fast thinking Doctor. Good luck.tom.

3. Navitimer

Navitimer

Glad to hear you're okay buddy. Did poison ivy trigger your reaction? I have severe reactions to nuts and legumes, and carry an Epi-pen, but my reactions are instant (i.e., as soon as something touches my mouth that I'm allergic to, the reaction begins.) I've also got a couple extra Epi-pens around the house, as well as one in my bug-out bag. You may also ask your doctor whether you should have a prescription for a pill to take in addition to the Epi-pen. I can't recall the name of the medicine, but it's essentially a very strong antihistimine (histimines are what your body is reacting to when you have an allergic reaction). Hope this helps!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  4. farmer-dave

farmer-dave

So did you ever find out what you reacted to. I once had hives and had my feet swell up from a food reaction, luckily it wasn't life threatening.

5. JackMac

JackMac

Had my first experience with that at about age 16. Don't know what I got into but it laid me out and started going into shock. Lots of folks I imagine have Epi pens for such emergencies.

6. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Yellowjackets.

VERY allergic.
    Tongue swells. Throat closes off.
    Darn near died when I was a kid.

Epi-kit in my travel kit and with me when working in the yard.

Had a CT scan of my brain several years ago. (Dizzy spells.)
    Un-contrasted and contrasted.
    Within 3 minutes of the 'dye' (iodine) being injected, I'm drowning in my own saliva.
    Strange sensation.
    Found out I am allergic to iodine, at 47 years of age. :dunno:

7. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

That's really scary! Glad you are ok. My daughters best friend has had severe food allergies since birth, and carries an epipen. She's been coming to our house (and eating) for years and hasn't had to use it with us, yet, but it's worth it to always have it with you for peace if mind! My grandfather developed a shellfish allergy as an adult. While eating lobster. On an airplane. :faint:

8. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Wow! Great place and timing for discovering an allergy.tom.:faint:

9. The Maggy

The Maggy

As it stand right now, I still have no "known" allergies. I just have to wait and see what the allergist says once it's time for my appointment. Before today, I had absolutely no idea how awkward and frustrating the whole experience could be. The golden lining here is that I got to shack up in a comfortable hospital bed.

I am honestly going to be surprised if it is a food allergy, I ate bacon for breakfast (god I hope it's not bacon!) and my dinner last night was pretty tame, grilled chicken and some veggies.

That leaves the booze, which I hear is kind of rare, or something that I just randomly came in contact with.

10. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I don't carry an epipen, but I do always have Benadryl nearby. I have a food allergy that can become severe if untreated.

11. r3dot

r3dot

subscribed just for the pure interest in hearing what caused it.

12. dango

dango

I have a terrible reaction to stupidity , makes turn all red.

13. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Those pens are a live saver especially on camping trips

:50cal:

14. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Years ago when I was a volunteer EMT, I remember an episode of anaphalaxys (sp?) so sever it required lifeflight. I live in a tourist town and a family with a young girl tried an elk entree and the poor girl was gaggin on her tongue and in full dermatitus by the time we got to the guest ranch fourty minutes away. Lot's of people discount food allergies like they do ADHD and autism, but when you see a kid who looks like a mix between Jerry Lewis and William Shattner for the first time...wow. HH

15. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

These types of reactions are not uncommon and many people do (or should) carry an Epi-pen. Anaphylaxis is potentially immediately life-threatening, especially with airway compromise.

Without appearing to be too nosy OP, have you been on any medications at all in the last couple of weeks, even if you have taken them before? Allergic reactions are most commonly caused by meds, foods, and infections, and almost 50% are idiopathic, i.e. - without known or identifiable cause.

16. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I had a tooth pulled about 2 months back and the oral surgeon gave me Oxycodone........I took 2 and stopped cold. I was digging at my skin!! I itched from head to toe. Morphine does the same thing, but not as bad.....I hear it is real common for folks to itch when you have the stuff shot into your IV in the hospital. I get benadryl to combat the itches.......and that in turn makes me a TOTAL zombie.........

17. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

Opiates/opioids notoriously cause histamine release which may or may not be part of a true allergic reaction.

18. JerryC09

JerryC09

I've had anaphalactic shock from unknown causes 3 times back in the 80's. I had to go to the hospital overnight on two occasions, and on the third after they had me on an IV for 4 hours or so signed myself out and went home. The first time my blood pressure dropped to around 80 over 50 and I was unable to talk. None of my doctors ever prescribed me the epi-kit, though.

19. Fox184

Fox184

The last time I got stung I became very sick and had to go to the doctor. I carry an Epipen with me now.

I get weekley allergy shots and have severe food allergies and am on a very strict diet. I am allergic to wheat, soy, eggs, tomatoes, nuts, and shellfish. Medical professionals do not know the cause and no cure is in the immediate future. I wish there was a cure, as my diet is a PITA!

I think it is related to an overactive immune system. For the last 6 months or so I have been suffering from Drug Induced Lupus. I was taking a prescription medicine and my immune system basically started attacking my own body giving me lupus symptoms. All and All allergies suck.

20. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

I once had an allergic reaction that made me break out in hives the size of my palm all over my body. I went to the doctor and got a shot, and a bag of assorted pills to try. It would go away when I got a shot of epinephrine, but come back as it wore off. The doctor asked the standard questions about changes in diet/exposure to anything new, but I couldn't come up with anything, so he said to wait it out and hopefully it would go away.
    This was a probably going on 10 years ago, when I was still in high school so my memory is foggy, but It seems like I sat around in my room naked (clothes irritated it) for about a week. It sucked because I was given no projection of when It would get better. Finally it cleared up, and I never figured out what caused it. Hope it never happens again!

Edit: Oh yeah, I asked for an epipen so that I could inject myself before a motorcycle race that weekend, but the doctor gave me a disclaimer about using them for non life saving situations that scared me off.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012