All Upgrading "Techs"

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FN64, Jun 14, 2007.

1. FN64

FN64

For any "Techs" upgrading to General..BE AWARE!!!!

The general class question pool will be changed on July 01/07

This is done periodically to stay current with changes in technology and regulations.

Make sure you're studying the proper question pool for your upcoming test date..

Both question pools can be found at:
    http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html

Best luck & 73..FN

2. FN64

FN64

From "The ARRL Letter, Vol 26, No 24"
    http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=3&t=158957

"* New General class books are good to go!: According to ARRL Sales and Marketing Manager Bob Inderbitzen, NQ1R, the new ARRL General Class License Manual is ready for shipping. As of July 1, 2007, a new General Class license exam pool will take effect; the old pool will no longer be valid. The new ARRL General Class License Manual has everything you need to pass the General Class exam. Also available is the ARRL General Q&A. This book makes upgrading to General Class quick and easy, allowing you to review from the entire question pool with brief explanations following each question. You can order the new manuals, plus manuals for Technician and Amateur Extra from www.arrl.org/catalog/lm/."

..FN

3. rrog

rrog

That's a good heads up. I've not been licensed long and I just joined ARRL. When I got their member kit, they already had books containing the new questions for sale. I'm not sure which would be easier to study from: a book or one of the online tests.

rrog
    KI4VYV

4. FN64

FN64

Rog:

I'd recommend getting a book AND taking the practice exams!! I can't vouch for the current ARRL material as I haven't seen it first hand. Perhaps someone that has a copy can comment.
    I'm currently working on Extra with the Gordon West book. It's OK but I wish it had more detail behind some of the theory.

As far as the online tests go *I* prefer the http://www.w8mhb.com/exam/ site. It presents the results showing the areas that need extra study.

I don't know how soon any of the common testing sites will update their questions to reflect the changes in the general pool so just aware of this!!

See if you can find a copy of the "ARRL Handbook". It's an excellent reference and some of the older ones (from the 90's) seem to have mote technical info than the current run. Another fine addition is the "ARRL Antenna Book" Lotta good design info for understanding RF theory.

Best luck on the upgrade.

FN

5. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

IMO online tests are not study material. Memorizing only that information that is asked in the questions is not the same as learning the info then testing yourself over it.

I have the latest ARRL Technician license manual. I read it through once, then started taking online exams. When I missed one on the exam I wrote down that question/answer to review. Through probably 20 online exams my lowest score was still over 90%.

I have the General license manual on order now, hopefully it comes soon. Not sure if it's old or new questions. I will go in for testing this month, so if it's old I'll be fine. If it's new, and I don't pass General this time (after passing Tech) I will go back after the the new question pool.

6. FN64

FN64

Hey Warp..

Do a review of the ARRL book once you've gone thru it. Pro's, Con's, likes, dislikes etc. It would be nice to compare as best we can the ARRL to the GW series.
    'course it's prolly gonna be like the chevy vs ford debates!

73 & good luck with the tests.. holler if ya need help.

FN

7. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I can only offer one side, since I have never read anything from the GW series.

I can say this: The day I finished the ARRL Tech license manual and took some online exams I ordered the General manual.

I liked it. It was easy to read, made good logical sense, explained everything in such a way that I readily and quickly understood (making it much easier to remember) and, of course, all of the included questions are the same as those used in the actual exams. At the end of each relatively short section there is a short-medium length list of questions relating to that section...so you get a 'quiz' to see if you need to go back and put more attention towards an aspect of what you just read.

Also, the questions in the back tell you where to find the information within the book so that you can go through those questions for practice and, if you get to one you don't know, you will know exactly where to look for the answer.

I am very pleased with the book and would recommend it to everybody...and I think the results speak for themselvs. I took 15+ online exams after doing nothing other than reading the book and my average score was about a 96% (I typically missed one question, sometimes two, sometimes zero, and once missed three). You can miss 9 on the actual exam and still pass....and at least half of the questions I missed were before I memorized the frequency ranges!

Edit: I just checked the mail and my General license manual is here. Questions beginning July 1, 2004. Better get studying so I can pass this on Sunday!

8. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FN: Can you post, or post a link to, the specific operating priviledges of a General class license holder as well as any restrictions within those bands? The book I got, which will be totally outdated in a couple weeks (based on question pool, anyway) still talks about morse code requirements and novice, advanced, and tech plus priviledges...so I don't know how accurate it really is on this.

9. FN64

FN64

Here's a couple freq charts, in different formats, with the current privileges for all classes:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/Hambands_color.pdf
    http://mostgraveconcern.com/ke7hlr/hfbands/HFBandPlan.pdf

The FCC no longer requires testing for Morse Code proficiency.

Currently there are only 3 classes of license issued.. Technician, General & Amateur Extra.

Those persons holding a Novice, Tech + or an Advanced license are "grandfathered" under the current rules. Novice & Advanced license holders will be able to modify and renew their licenses indefinitely. Technician Plus will be renewed as Technician but will retain the HF operating privileges originally granted as a Technician Plus.

Is that what ya needed??

FN

10. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That'll do. :thumbsup: