close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

All time best spagetti sauce

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by snowphantom12, Jun 9, 2004.

1. snowphantom12

snowphantom12 drunk and naked

I experiment from time to time, but still am not 100% "sold" on my sauce. What can you guys offer up? One stipulation is that there must not be ANY onions.

2. CZ-75A

CZ-75A

Then it can't be the best. May as well leave out the garlic.

About the only thing I can say is that if you mean large pieces of onions, then I don't care for that either.

3. moeman

moeman

My mom is from Abruzzi Italy and she says no onions too.
    If one must use onions then no garlic its one or the other.

A few "tips":

Use a combo of ground tomatoes and peeled plum tomatoes. The Italian San Marzano tomatoes are the very best but due to a trade dispute they got very expensive. Its better to blend several brands than to use one brand only.

Don't use a lot of tomato paste-- cook longer for thicker sauce. A shallow large saute pan (14" plus)can be used next to your stock pot to speed up cooking to your desired thickness. With a ladle transfer sauce between pans many times so the thinner sauce is in the shallow pan.

If meat is used it must be browned a lot first. Chuck cubed in small pieces with a couple of Italian sausages (meat out of the sausage case) makes a good combo. Bones are welcome! Brown them first too.

If mushrooms are used cook them first (too much water). Mushrooms cook down a lot sop buy a ton.

Use a little wine (Merlot, Cab, Chianti...).

Use fresh basil and add some several times during cooking. When done add a little more. You'll need a lot of basil!

Fresh Italian parsley adds a lot of nice falvor and color.

Don't use a lot of oregano, once again fresh is better. There are two kinds of oregano Mediteranian and Mexican, DON't use the Mexican variety. A touch of thyme and rosemary are good but go very easy on them.

Use a touch of nutmeg. Really! Its very authentic.

Grate very good quality cheese in at the very end.

A touch of butter at the end is good too.

Enjoy and let us know how it turns out.

4. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I like the Nob Hill braand Putanesca well enough that I wont consider making my home. Its a real winner if you like an olive/caper rich sauce.

5. nickg

nickg

quite the contrary, i never brown or pre-cook my meatballs. that's why many times they come out hard.

i use breadcrumbs and an egg along with a little romano cheese in my meatballs (along with my regular spices). i roll 'em up and then cook them IN ALONG WITH THE SAUCE. i do NOT cook them up ahead. they just simmer in and with the sauce for about 3-4 hours on SIMMER. that means very very low!!! too many people crank the heat up and try to cook sauce too fast and wonder why it sucks!! cook it long, slow, and low.

and i always use a good sized pinch of sugar in the sauce to take any bitter edge off of it from the garlic or oregano and cut the acidity of the tomato sauce & paste.

and don't be afraid to season to taste. once again too many people fail to season properly and wonder why their dishes don't taste any different than styrofoam.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

- a little EVOO in the pan just to get the garlic going -
    - garlic (just lightly color it. don't BROWN it) -
    - oregano -
    - basil -
    - rosemary -
    - salt -
    - pepper -
    - garlic powder -
    (i usually like to get all the spices going with the oil and garlic to bring out the flavors)
    - 3 small cans of tomato paste -
    - 1 large can of tomato sauce -
    - 5-6 cups of water (I usually go with 5 because you can always add more if it's too thick but if it's too thin you're screwed. and i HATE thin watery sauce)-
    - then add the meatballs as i described above -
    - good pinch of sugar -
    - add a little romano cheese -
    - bring it to temperature for a short time and then turn the heat DOWN to SIMMER -
    - 3-4 hours cooking time -
    - after about the half way point check for reseasoning and see if you need to add anything -

6. moeman

moeman

Your tips for seaoning and sugar are very good. Looking at your recipe I might save you some time. Instead, tomato paste in combo with all of the water, you might as well start with a good basic jar of marinara and then do your thing to taste. Tomato paste has a lot of the skin and less desireable parts for sauce-- kind of like ketchup (this is not a slam).

If you wan't to split the difference canned peeled plum tomatos (squished into pieces)in a combo with ground tomatos will give you a head start.

The hard core foodies use tomato filets (no skin or gooey seed stuff)and go from there. If fresh it takes FOREVER to cook into a sauce you would be able to freeze for later use. However, a quick sauce of fresh tomatoes is very good for same day use.

7. nickg

nickg

i prefer to leave perfection to itself. why mess with a good thing. that was my mom's recipe, who taught it to me, and i taught it to my wife.

that's why i almost never order italian sauce in most restaurants -- it just doesn't measure up to what i'm used to. ;f ;f

surprisingly even my SISTER'S sauce doesn't taste like mine. it's good but it's different. same with some of my aunt's sauces -- all good but different.

all this coming from a guy who LOVES "chef boy ardee" beefaroni!!! i always get chided about that. go figure. ;f ;f ;f

8. moeman

moeman

I know what you mean about wanting sauce to have a certain flavor-- no one beats mom's recipe!

Except for my mom's pork chops-- they were AWEFUL! Overcooked so much they tasted like roofing shingles. Torture! Ohter than that God Bless Moms everywhere!

9. nickg

nickg

i was the same way with my mom's cabbage soup. UGGGHHHH!!! just the smell of it turned my stomach ;0 ;0

in the same respect there are some things you try to cook and you can NEVER capture that exact same taste or flavor that mom or grandma did, no matter how many times you make it.

i STILL have yet to capture the flavor of my grandma's "coogoots" (eggplant, peppers, egg, greens). no matter what i do to doctor it up it AIN'T GRANDMA'S!!! and the same goes for my mom's "swiss steak".

DAMN!!! ;f ;f

10. Guest

Take the cheapest sauce you can get. Gagu is fine. Add cumin, Cholula, a couple drops Dave's Insanity Sauce, Thai red curry paste, cracked peppers, and a dash of celery salt.

Serve with tri-color rotini pasta.

Add onions later so they're crunchy in your pasta. Red onions are best.

11. Phil306

Phil306

Uh, what is wrong with Ragu???

12. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I don't even bother as my wife's spaghetti sauce is out of this world. I know she uses some molasses in her recipe. I suggested one change, which did improve her recipe switch from ground beef to sausage made at our local meat market. I could eat her spaghetti several nights a week!

13. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I use sausage and ground beef both ;)

14. grenadier

grenadier

Two large sized, ripe tomatoes, diced
    1 large Vidalia onion, sliced thinly
    1.5-2 lbs ground beef
    1 pkg Italian sausage (mild, 6 links), sliced
    1 sliced bell pepper
    2 lbs sliced mushrooms
    1 can of tomato sauce (large size)

Oregano
    Basil
    Black pepper
    Seasoned salt
    Garlic (lots)

In a large stock pot, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, onions and mushrooms. Add the above seasonings to taste.

In a large frying pan, brown the ground beef and sausage. Drain, and dump meats into stock pot.

Let simmer over low-medium heat for 4 hours, stirring once in a while.

10 minutes before serving, turn off heat, and add sliced bell pepper to the mixture. You now have one of the finest, freshest tasting sauces you'll ever find. :)

15. DesertShark1963

DesertShark1963

No onions? ;P

Then how 'bout a good pesto sauce?

16. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

Here is my recipe and something I learned through the years from my italian relatives from the old country and passed down the years to my mom and then me...it has onions, just omit them in recipe if you dont want them...But the recipe is a WINNER....................

HOMEMADE ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE

• 28 or 35 OUNCE WHOLE PEELED PLUM TOMATOES (Slightly Blended)
    • ½ ONION CHOPPED
    • 2 CLOVES FRESH GARLIC CHOPPED
    • 2 TABLESPOONS CHOPPED PARSLEY
    • 1 TABLESPOON OREGANO
    • 1 TABLESPOON BASIL
    • 1 TABLESPOON SUGAR
    • 2 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL
    • 1 TEASPOON SALT
    • ½ TEASPOON GROUND PEPPER
    • 1 TABLESPOON TOMATO PASTE

IN LARGE SAUCE/STOCK POT:
    SAUTE ONIONS IN OLIVE OIL TILL TRANSLUCENT/CLEAR, THEN ADD CHOPPED GARLIC AND COOK TILL LIGHTLY GOLDEN BROWN.
    THEN ADD BLENDED PLUM TOMATOES AND BRING TO BOIL, THEN TURN DOWN TO HEAVY SIMMER/SLIGHT RIPPLE.
    ADD TOMATO PASTE, OREGANO, PARSLEY, BASIL, SUGAR, SALT AND PEPPER. LET COOK FOR ½ HOUR AT STEADY RIPPLING BOIL.
    AT THIS POINT, YOU CAN ADD YOUR COOKED/BROWNED-OFF MEATBALLS, SAUSAGE, PORK CHOPS, SHORT RIBS OR GROUND BEEF TO IT TO MAKE YOUR MEAT SAUCE. COOK AT A STEADY LIGHT SIMMER FOR ANOTHER 45 MINUTES TO AN HOUR LONGER TILL DONE.

YIELDS APPROXIMATELY (1) ONE QUART WITHOUT ADDED MEAT.

SPECIAL NOTE: ABOVE LIST OF INGREDIENTS IS JUST A STANDARD TO FOLLOW AND WILL BE NEEDED TO BE ADJUSTED TO THE AMOUNT YOUR WANTING TO MAKE OR IS NEEDED FOR WHATEVER AMOUNT OR FOR WHATEVER AMOUNT OF PEOPLE YOUR ARE COOKING FOR.

BON APPETITO.
    Kevin:) :) :)

17. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

Here is my Award Winning Meatball Recipe Too i Added....

ITALIAN MEATBALL RECIPE

• 1 POUND GROUND BEEF
    • 2 LARGE WHOLE EGGS
    • 2 CLOVES OF GARLIC MINCED
    • 2 TABLESPOONS OF CHOPPED FLAT LEAF PARSLEY
    • 1 TEASPOON OF SALT
    • ½ TEASPOON GROUND PEPPER
    • 2 TABLESPOONS GRATED PECORINO ROMANO (PARMESAN CHEESE AS A SUBSTITUTE)
    • 4 SLICES OF WHITE OR ITALIAN BREAD DAMPENED AND CRUMBLED WITH EITHER MILK OR WATER

WITH YOUR HANDS (PREFERABLY WASHED) THOROUGHLY MIX ALL INGREDIENTS IN LARGE MIXING BOWL. CONSISTENCY SHOULD BE THAT OF STICKY CEMENT.
    PLACE MIXTURE IN REFRIGERATOR AND LET STAND FOR AT LEAST ONE HOUR.
    ROLL CHILLED MIXTURE IN HANDS TO GOLFBALL SIZE. KEEP HANDS MOIST TO AVOID MIXTURE STICKING TO HANDS.
    TO COOK: 1. FRY ROLLED MEATBALL MIXTURE IN PRE-HEATED FRYING PAN OR SKILLET WITH VEGETABLE OIL ON A MED/HIGH HEAT UNTIL GOLDEN DARK BROWN AND CRISPY. DRAIN ON PAPER TOWEL COVERED TRAY. OR 2. BAKE ON HOT BAKING SHEET COATED WITH NON-STICK SPRAY AT 450 DEGREES FOR TEN MINUTES EACH SIDE UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN.

Bon Appetito.
    Kevin:) :) :) :)