All this talk of mutton and Big Green Eggs

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by syntaxerrorsix, Jun 13, 2020.

1. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Convinced me to smoke a lamb's leg.

Six pound leg coated with salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, sage, thyme in an EVOO paste set up for 24 hours to marinate. LambLegBefore.jpg

Got the Egg up to 220F with lump and apple wood, from match to coals in 25 minutes (tell your friend he's doing it wrong.) Installed the ceramic place setter and placed a drip pan 1/4 of the way filled with water on top of it. Placed the cast iron grate on top of the assembly and the leg directly on the grate.

Took about 1.5 hours to get an internal temperature of 135 (about an hour faster than I anticipated, the medium sized Egg seems to smoke everything faster than the large, could be the cast iron grate).

I removed the leg, pulled the plate setter and drip pan and opened up the draft door. Got the Egg up to 600F in 5 minutes flat.

Seared each side for 2 minutes and then let it rest in a cooler for about 45 minutes. Internal temperature made it to 143F during the rest when I checked it.

LambOffGrill.jpg

I was hoping for medium rare and got mostly medium.

LambHalfCut.jpg
    MeatOffTheBone.jpg

I gnawed the bone down to the white and then added the drippings from the pan to the cuts. Bagged half for the freezer and I'll have dinner in a few hours. Very juicy and tender.
    MeatWithDrippings.jpg

Smoked leg of lamb FTW. Good times.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  2. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

Looks good. But no dollar bill for reference. :)

syntaxerrorsix likes this.

3. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Would you, could you, cook some mutton?
    In a Big Green Egg, or a grill with a button?

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  4. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I'd cook with the Egg as your buttons are plastic, I don't want my food tasting like mastic. Cook how you may, cook how you might I don't want my food to taste like your bike...

Gray Dood likes this.