All this bear talk...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by syntaxerrorsix, Oct 12, 2019.

1. clancy

clancy

I don't need to carry a gun, I just take one of the grandkids, give him a pound of bacon, and let him go ahead of me.
    [​IMG]

flyover, CDR_Glock and agtman like this.
  2. hannstv

hannstv

agtman likes this.

3. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

No bears here just coyotes, and for some reason packs of pit bulls

Attached Files:

clancy and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  4. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

I'd detach a retina shooting that !

5. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  6. Terry G

Terry G

All Bear confrontations have taken place in Canada so handguns are forbidden. We pack an M-1 Garand and 7 shot 12 Gauge. And Bear spray. We've never fired a shot in 21 years of dealing with Black Bears and only used the spray once. This is dealing with Bears a minimum once a day so the threat is highly over rated. This is only Black Bears, mind you, I have no experience with others. The smashed window was the scene of stolen homemade chocolate chip cookies that ol' Smoky had to have. Smokey 5.jpg Smokey.png Smokey 1.png IMG_0908.JPG IMG_0895.JPG

7. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

The M1 is a solid weapon for bear country. Optic or not ...

photo.JPG

Your choice in configuration: Full-size (above), 18.25" 'Tanker,' or 16.1" Mini-G (carbine-length)

Tanker
    photo.JPG

Mini-G
    photo.JPG

Mini-G compared to full-size M1

photo.JPG

For black bear, the 30-06 or .308 chamberings are more than enough to put them down when using quality hunting ammo topped with heavy bullets (180gns to 220gns). You tune the ammo to the Garand gas system through use of an adjustable gas plug from Schuster Mfg. (A quarter turn, either way, of the plug's inner screw will tighten or open-up groups with both factory ammo and handloads).

For the big Grizz and Browns in AK, you also have the option of the .35 Whelen chambering - again, in one of the three M1 configuration (sizes) above. Shuff's Parkerizing has built quite a few .35 Whelen Mini-Gs for his AK clients.

This guy took an elk with his full-size M1, re-barreled to .35 Whelen:

photo.JPG

8. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

Yeah, solid like a boat anchor

Quigley likes this.
  9. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

:upeyes:

Ah dude, the Mini-G is a 7.7lb M1-'carbine.' The Tanker is slightly heavier.

Consider yourself schooled. :popcorn:

10. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

LOL, yeah, its still a boat anchor.

But good luck with all that.

11. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Compared to what? :whistling:

Show me another 7.7lb compact autoloader capable of sending eight 30-06 or .35 Whelen cartridges at a charging bear as fast as you can work the trigger.

And it's faster than a pump shotgun or Bubba's bolt gun.

Out West and jr24 like this.
  12. Buckeye63

Buckeye63

image.jpeg
    I tote my Glock 20SF ,loaded with Underwood 200gr XTP, while roaming the woods ...

My neighbor spotted a estimated 450 Lb Black bear roaming in his back yard a couple of weeks ago ....
    He doesn't own a gun .. He has now borrowing my H&R 12ga single shot .. loaded with 3 inch magnum 00 Buck
    I guess thats one way to get a liberal armed !!!!!

agtman likes this.
  13. jr24

jr24

I'd love one of those Mini-G as a brush gun... dang. Been loving my M1A standard as a whitetail rifle in the past few years, sure it's a bit heavy fully loaded with 20 (I usually use the 10 round mag) but I don't walk all day and that's what off-season weightlifting is for :)

Now that I live/hike/hunt in Black Bear only country I usually just go with a 10mm 1911 (cause it's most accurate) or one of my .357 Vaqueros because they are fun. Not nearly as concerned now that I don't live in Alaskan coastal Brown territory.

agtman likes this.
  14. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

I hear ya ...

I have a standard S.A. M1A in an old Fred's synthetic USGI camo stock collecting dust in the safe. Anymore if I want to shoot something in .308 in a wood stock that's mag-fed, I reach for my mag-fed Mini-G, another variation on the 'shorty-M1' theme from Shuff's. So while it sorta resembles a Springer 16" SOCOM, the Mini's USGI Garand receiver is forged, not cast.

With the mini-RDS, it's just the ticket in the black-bear thicket. :rofl:

photo.JPG

No question a properly-loaded 10mm pistol will put a black bear down, and obviously it's lighter to carry holstered than a 7.7lb Mini-G slung over your shoulder, although even that's light compared to the guys you see hunting hogs with a .308 AR weighing 10lbs or better with an optic, light, and a 20-rd mag. :upeyes:

For black bear country, the basic iron-sighted Mini-G in .308 makes for the perfect 'brush carbine' if you feel you want or need something beyond just a pistol. (Note the Olongapo stock pack: it puts an additional two loaded clips (5- or 8-rds) on the gun, ready to access).

photo.JPG

For black bear and other big game animals in the lower 48, the .35 Whelen chambering is probably overkill. A 30-06 with 180gn-220gn slugs can, and has, taken all of them.

But if I were living in AK - or wherever 'Grizz country' is - yeah, I'd definitely have Shuff's build me a Mini-G or Tanker in .35 Whelen.

ithaca_deerslayer and jr24 like this.
  15. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

You’re fixated on capacity like it means something, when you’re unlikely to get off more than a couple shots.....

Course. 7.7 lbs empty is a far shot from close to 10 loaded slung and scoped, but I don’t blame you for trying to slip that one by.

Nick B likes this.
  16. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

'Unlikely to get off more than a couple of shots'? Maybe in a bolt or pump or lever-action, not in a semi.

:upeyes:

As was stated, it depends on the configuration. The old geezer above who took the elk with his full-size M1 in .35 Whelen, using the iron-sights, didn't have any trouble humping it over hills and valleys.

There's a little thing called exercise and being in shape for these adventures. Spending all day on the computer pontificating as GT's 'bear expert' won't get you there. Just sayin' :whistling:

17. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Indeed, hence why I’m pointing out that your suggestions don’t make sense. Cuz I do things like spend 20+ days at a time in the actual back country hunting.

The difference between us, is I’ve killed close to a dozen brown/grizzlies and closing in on almost 30 black bears. I’ve been in on the killing of I’d guess about a dozen or so more of each.

Including with a 10mm.....

Sad that you never got out and used either of those guns you advocate.

Nick B and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  18. Johnnyvegas

Johnnyvegas

Dan Wesson 10mm Valor ATT00001aa.jpg

ithaca_deerslayer and AK_Stick like this.
  19. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

Here are my bear guns.

While he is laughing at the NAA 22mag, I pull out the 629 'Backpacker'. Actually I have an 18" 8 shot Benelli Super 90 M1 as a field gun.

629Comp.JPG

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  20. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

Fascinating stuff you have there friend. Amazing how those monster rounds dwarf the .45/70 in comparison. I would imagine firing more than a round, or two from those cannons is a humbling experience.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019