all south carolina glockers unite

Discussion in 'Carolina Glockers' started by mclement, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Gunruner1917

Gunruner1917

Just bought a home in Bluffton SC. be moved in before December. Shoot and carry Glocks 26, 19 and a 20SF. No more deep snow for me.

Bill1954 likes this.
  2. The Shadow

The Shadow

Columbia. G19 Gen 2 purchased new in 1995 and still going strong. Took it right out of the box, started shooting it and not a single malfunction in 20+ years. Best "tupperware" I've ever owned!

Terry

3. Ken Kaiser

Ken Kaiser

Salem and own G17Gen4 and EDC G43Gen4

4. Andych

Andych

Lancaster. G19Gen3 and G20Gen4.

5. glockrod

glockrod NRA-Endow. Life

Camden area.
    Glocks in various flavors: 26, 19 OD, 22, and 21

6. Joco34

Joco34 NRA Patron Member, Blue Knights Member

Welcome to SC! I'm on Hilton Head Island just across the bridge. EDC's are G19, G21sf and for beach ware the G27

7. Pea Ridge

Pea Ridge

Union Co. here.
    Just bought a G19-4.
    First Glock since 2001.

8. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

Our Daughter moved to Beach Island, SC. This time last year.
    They were West of Augusta, GA.
    No Beach, and no Island, around, but that's the name.
    About 10-12 miles East of Augusta.
    I have seen several signs on the roads around where she lives, about Gun Range Noise area.
    I know that is not exactly how the sign reads but it has been several months since we were up there.
    I haven't found the range yet.
    My Grand Daughter's Boyfriend knows somewhere we can go shoot.
    I guess next time we go up I'll take a few pistols and some ammo and take them to shoot with me.
    Or let them take me to shoot.

9. Joco34

Joco34 NRA Patron Member, Blue Knights Member

The towns name is Beech island named after a small island in the Savannah river covered with Beech Trees. I also wondered about the invisible gun range. Maybe Area 51b?

10. ABC INC.

ABC INC.

Little River, S.C. Here. Wife and I have 7 Glocks so far...2-26s 2-42s 19 17 21

11. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

My daughter wants to get a Concealed Carry Permit in South Carolina.
    Can any one tell me what the rules are about Carry with a permit? My understanding is you can carry concealed on your person as long as it is kept out of sight.
    Inside or outside the waistband, as long as it is out of sight.
    That is the rule in Florida, and I'm sure a lot of other places.
    Some guy she ran into at Church, teaches classes, and took her to the range. He told her she could not carry a paddle holster on her hip. It had to be in her Purse.
    I called that one, and played the Big BS card.
    I hope they don't tell me I have to get a purse to put my pistol in. I carry in one of several OWB holsters.
    She said his holster went inside the pants, sounds like a paddle, with a button to press then draw.
    Serpia?? or something like that. He said only Police Officers can carry like that.
    I'm at a loss. I have a couple of IWB holsters she could use.
    She said he fired a 380, and didn't like it, and a Kimber 1911, and too heavy, 45 was just much, the 9mm Glock was just right. I'm going to visit in the next couple of weeks.
    She didn't know which Glock she shot, but I'll just take a 17, 19, & a 26, and let her decide what she wants. She wanted to know If she could borrow one to shoot, and take her class with and then she would get her one.
    I also have a little Ruger LC9s, about the same size as a G-43 but only 6-7 rounds in mag.
    I figure to let her keep which ever of the three she likes best, probably the G-19, or the G-26.
    When I check out, I have told my wife to give my pistols to the 3 Boys, I guess I better remember the Girl too.

Sorry I let this get so long.

12. The Shadow

The Shadow

13. ABC INC.

ABC INC.

My understanding of concealed is that the weapon is not openly displayed for public view. Open carry on the other hand is in public view always.

My wife likes and shoots the G26 and G42. The G26 in her glove compartment and daily carry G42. She shoots very well, better than I do most of the time.

14. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

The guy from her church teaches classes? Not CWP classes, I hope, since he doesn't know what he's talking about.

See the link provided above by The Shadow for the details.

Some highlights:

SECTION 23-31-210. Definitions.
    (5) "Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.

I've never found, read, or heard any nonsense about no paddle holsters/OWB carry or LEOs only for security holsters. While not a lawyer, the language of the law seems pretty straightforward in saying as long as it stays concealed under normal circumstances, movement, etc., it meets the statute.

Also worth noting is the no-go zones:

SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits.
    (M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:
    (1) law enforcement, correctional, or detention facility;
    (2) courthouse or courtroom;
    (3) polling place on election days;
    (4) office of or the business meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district;
    (5) school or college athletic event not related to firearms;
    (6) daycare facility or preschool facility;
    (7) place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law;
    (8) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body;
    (9) hospital, medical clinic, doctor's office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer; or
    (10) place clearly marked with a sign prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon on the premises pursuant to Sections 23-31-220 and 23-31-235. ...

1-9 are misdemeanor offenses. 10 is considered a criminal trespass type offense, which is also a misdemeanor, as elaborated here:

SECTION 23-31-220. Right to allow or permit concealed weapons upon premises; signs.
    The posting by the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control of a sign stating "No Concealable Weapons Allowed" shall constitute notice to a person holding a permit issued pursuant to this article that the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control requests that concealable weapons not be brought upon the premises or into the work place. A person who brings a concealable weapon onto the premises or work place in violation of the provisions of this paragraph may be charged with a violation of Section 16-11-620. In addition to the penalties provided in Section 16-11-620, a person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this paragraph must have his permit revoked for a period of one year. The prohibition contained in this section does not apply to persons specified in Section 16-23-20, item (1).

In some states, violating a "no guns" sign can get your kicked out of the establishment and warned of criminal trespass. It's only a crime when you return after having been warned. In SC, the very posting of the sign is considered the warning, so a violation is an automatic criminal offense.

The trick is that it must be an authorized sign as defined by state law. If the sign doesn't meet the law, it is meaningless. The rules for signs are quite detailed:

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.
    (A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.
    (B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:
    (1) clearly visible from outside the building;
    (2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;
    (3) contain the words "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" in black one-inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
    (4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty-five degree angle from the horizontal;
    (5) a diameter of a circle; and
    (6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building's entrance door.
    (C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:
    (1) thirty-six inches wide by forty-eight inches tall in size;
    (2) contain the words "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" in black three- inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
    (3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty-four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty-five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;
    (4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety-six inches above the ground;
    (5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.

Again, these are for businesses and other locations that choose to limit carrying. The official no-go locations listed earlier don't need signs. They are always prohibited.

Also, SC is the opposite of FL when in comes to private residences. In FL, you must go out of your way to notify people they are not welcome to CC on your property. In SC, it is automatically a misdemeanor to carry onto someone's property or into their home unless you have "express permission". (SECTION 23-31-225)

Brandishing is a felony.

Carrying on school property (from preschools all the way up) is a felony.
    This law is asinine because even as a CWP holder, you must secure your pistol in the glove box or other similar location when on any school property. That means if you are a parent who CCs, for example, to even drop off and pick up your child in the car line requires you to handle your gun to unholster and secure it before driving onto the property and then handle it again to rearm, once off of the property. Neither safe nor convenient. (SECTION 16-23-420)

>>>>> PLEASE NOTE <<<<<<
    1) The code sections shown above are excerpted. Please see the full law codes for all the details.
    2) I may be as ignorant on SC law as the guy your daughter already talked to. Please read all the SC codes that relate to firearms and CC for yourself and/or speak with a lawyer.
    3) SC laws aren't terrible, but you'd think they'd be better for being the deep south. FL is more CC friendly than SC.

15. GT4494

GT4494

and have her re-read the part that Church carry is not allowed. Unless she gets express permission from whomever is in charge of the church.. Be it Pastor, Priest, elders or vestry.etc..

Maccabeus likes this.
  16. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

Thanks guys, I had researched as much as I could after posting on here. I came up with the same things. A second opinion always helps. And a second and third set of eyes is a big help too.
    I could not understand any part of what she was saying.
    It did make since to me. Living in Florida some rules and Laws vary and most are the same.
    I was Born & Raised in Texas. I was a LEO in Texas, and was a shift Supervisor in Communications for The Sheriffs Dept. in Alabama, after that. All the time I was in Texas LEOs were the only ones allowed to carry.
    The law changed after I left. In Alabama, the Sheriffs Dept.
    Issued Permits To carry. Here in Florida Permits are issued by the State.
    The only Problem I can see with her Getting a permit, and carrying in South Carolina is She takes my Grandson to school, and picks him up in the afternoon. I don't remember if her car has a center console to put pistol in. That probably would not work, being that the law says Glove Compartment. Last time we were up there my wife and I picked him up twice, and I was carrying both times. No one but me even knew I had it but me. My wife never said anything but probably just took it for granted.
    I don't even know if the Glove Box in our vehicle has a lock on it.
    Once again Thanks Guys.

17. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

You may want to read around and make sure other subsections don't have language that sounds more limiting, but as for SECTION 16-23-420, it is broader in scope:

...when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle.

If she had a center console or some other dash compartment that closes she should be fine. If she purse carries, the ideal might be dropping the whole purse into a closing center console. Then she wouldn't have to handle the gun. Just so long as she remembers not to reach into her purse for anything while waiting in the car line.

The compartment doesn't need to be locked. Only that the car is either locked or attended. Personally, I would also lock the glove box if possible, if I needed to leave the car unattended, but the section quoted above doesn't require it.

GT4494 likes this.
  18. Clemson Fan

Clemson Fan

Check the SLED website

19. northslope66

northslope66

Graniteville SC here

20. Kennydale

Kennydale