GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I started on a Lee single stage kit for 99 bucks at Midway and it is still the press I load all my bolt action rifle loads on. Works great. From what I read from your original post what I can tell you from someone who has loadded 223, 22-250, 243 and 25-06 for bolt rifles............don't load 25-30 of the same stuff per session to go to the range and test. You will be pulling a lot of bullets from loads that print 3 inch groups at 100 yards.

Pick a certain bullet and powder and work on that with powder charges and bullet seating depth. Load 5 of each and put them in ziploc bags with an index card of load info to trial at the range. When something shows promise, highlight the index card and take notes. Big thing that is going to help you over factory is powder choice and the ability to vary the OAL to the rifles liking.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Guess we didn't give the info he was looking for.
I got sucked into an extra week of travel at work and things got hairy. Prioritizing my friend, like in reloading, every little deviation (or time, in this analogy) counts! I do appreciate you noticing!! :)

First thing I would do is shoot the rifle with various factory loads to determine whether or not the gun performs well enough to mess with
This is great advice. I like the idea of having a benchmark as well, will make me feel that much better when I see handloads walked into tighter circles.

Find a benchrest club near you, then go watch, find the guys that are beating everyone else and strike up a conversation.
Great advice.. I believe there's one at my private range when I didn't renew this past year but will be doing so and looking out for this.

The theme I'm seeing over and over..is consistency and obviously quality gear and components. Focus time on details instead of numbers (measure and inspect each round, weigh each charge, no autodisc etc.) I haven't had a chance to start my comprehensive soup to nuts dive into reloading, but I've been reading a TON. In fact, my Theme Statement likely needs to be adjusted at this point to allow adaptability into loading other rounds, because it seems to be opening up so many doors. Too many other things to call out specifically but I really appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
In fact, my Theme Statement likely needs to be adjusted at this point to allow adaptability into loading other rounds, because it seems to be opening up so many doors.
In fact, I think I'm going to start with 223, as I have the most experience there, I already have several rigs with various quality of barrels that will help me better learn and set expectations.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Redding or Bonanza co-ax single stage press, no turrets. Redding dies, others possible as well. If you want maximum performance do not go cheap on your tools.
Starting with this guidance, I did a good amount of research and decided on the Forster (formerly Bonanza) co-ax single stage. The first several places I checked were out of stock or back ordered. Brownells came through and had it in stock with free shipping and I had a $25 coupon. Score! The reviews are raving and sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Appreciate the feedback.

Now.. I still need a lot more schtuff....

FYI I've completely rethemed at this point, creedmore is on hold while I get the basics down with 223 :)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
^ in other words, I'm needing to drop so much cash on getting into reloading I'm going to foresake the shiny new platform for one I already have on hand and familiarity with

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
Not a terrible idea. It is less expensive to load 223 than for the 6.5 CM. I went through about 4 different die sets for 223 before settling on what I do now. But I'm loading mostly blasting ammo for the AR. No precision brass prep or even brass sorting, for that matter.

For bolt guns, I like Redding and Forster micrometer competition dies. Single stage Presses: I have an Ultramag, Summit (cool press) and Rock Chucker. Like and use the RC the most. But I've still never found the skill or ammo to put all my bullets into the same hole.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
With .223 I found out that after the 2nd or 3rd resizing the neck / shoulder starts getting hard and springing back requiring the case to be reannealed . So if you are really want to get as much consistancy as possible you will be looking for a case annealer.

·
Registered
34,807 Posts
Not a terrible idea. It is less expensive to load 223 than for the 6.5 CM. I went through about 4 different die sets for 223 before settling on what I do now. But I'm loading mostly blasting ammo for the AR. No precision brass prep or even brass sorting, for that matter.

For bolt guns, I like Redding and Forster micrometer competition dies. Single stage Presses: I have an Ultramag, Summit (cool press) and Rock Chucker. Like and use the RC the most. But I've still never found the skill or ammo to put all my bullets into the same hole.
I pretty much go to Redding for my rifle dies anymore. The quality is just so much higher than lesser dies. It doesn't mean you can not make great ammo with Lee or RCBS or Hornady but I do not see the economy in a $2000+ precision rifle rig & then cheap out on the dies to make the ammo???

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,114 Posts
First let me say by no means I’m a rifle shooter. A couple of years ago when I was at the range a friend of mine was there also who use to be on the Sheriff sniper SWAT team. He had his custom built.308 Remington that he used. On another range was someone sighting in a .338 Lapua. He said I’m going up to watch them shoot. There is the rifle and ammo and left. Don’t remember the make of the factory ammo. I almost didn’t shoot it but I did. I first shot 5 rounds that I could not have done better if I used a shotgun. I then said to myself okay stupid use basic rifle shooting fundamentals. I then commenced at 130 yards put 3 shots in one hole and two very faint Mickey Mouse ears. He came back and said he had a emergency put his thing in his truck and left. A day or two latter after thinking about it I called him up to see if he still had the target but he had already thrown it away.
My point in my opinion if you don’t have the custom built rifle to start out with, no amount of money in reloading equipment is going to get you in what I call one hole precision rifle shooting.
He told me to shoot it again. But I would bet even if I shoot 10,000 rounds again I could not duplicate what I did again.
I fould out latter he sold that rifle. I wish I new he wanted to sell it.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts