All I want to reload is 6.5 Creedmoor, and I want every one to be perfect!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by doktarZues, Sep 15, 2018.

1. doktarZues

doktarZues

I have no interest.. let me say it with more authority..ZERO, zip, not in a million years interest in whacking away in the garage hours on end producing rounds of various calibers in order to save money on ammo or stockpile for the apocalypse. I buy cheap and stack deep for that ;)

What I am GREATLY interested in is handloading my own 6.5 creedmoor, experimenting with different bullets, powder loads, etc. Utmost priority is that every single round I make is as close to exact/precise as will reasonably allow. In my head, I'm picturing making 25-30 rounds per session. Shoot at range. Take notes. Adjust. Make 25-30 rounds the next weekend. Wash/rinse/repeat. After many years of shooting this will be my first plunge into real tack driving.

I've read some primers on this and other forums, I have both the Hornady and Lyman latest edition on the way to the house etc, but I'm still super green.

Any sage advice, direction points, "you should definitely buy this series and this gear," or "don't buy this press or this series," or candid reprimands, reality checks, or words of warning? Shoot :)

2. Taterhead

Taterhead

Wow. Where to start. How about change one variable at a time.

3. doktarZues

doktarZues

A single stage press is what I'm after, yea? The options are limitless.. All I want to do is put together some sweet 6.5's, a few at a time :)

4. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

absolutely. I'd recommend a turret press and the lee turret press is not any less capable of loading accurate ammo than a more expensive press.

But the most important thing is to have the widest variety of comparative data available and there is only one sings source for that and that is the Loadbooks USA manuals that have all the available published data from everey other manual all in on ebook for one cartridge only.

In addition to a press you will want a good quality set of dies, an accurate scale, a kinetic bullet puller, and a micrometer.

But for the 6.5 Creedmoor, Hornady also publishes data for reloading their own cartridge and that is the absolute best place to start and then start looking at other powders of similar burn rate and then start playing with different projectiles and seating depths to fin what works best with your individual rifle.

I've been reloading since 1968 and have loaded for 8mm Mauser, 8mm Mauser, 303 British, 7.7 Arisaka, 7.65 Argentine, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 338, 350 Rem mag, 444 marlin, and 45-70. My most accurate rifle was a short action Remington 700 with a factory bull barrel and a Glass bedded action but I was able to get good accuracy out of other rifles with my reloads providing the bedding was set up right and the rifle had a good trigger. My 350 rem mag Ruger 77 with an ER Shaw barrel and a custom trigger thought it was a varmint rifle. I glass-bedded the action and free-floated the barrel but put some upward pressure on the fore-end tip.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012856166/loadbooks-usa-reloading-manual

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/880135/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index

doktarZues likes this.
  5. Maxw

Maxw

Redding or Bonanza co-ax single stage press, no turrets. Redding dies, others possible as well. If you want maximum performance do not go cheap on your tools.

doktarZues and Bus007 like this.
  6. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Define tack driving.

Benchrest... short-range, mid-range, long-range?
    PRS?

If shooting really small groups at 100, 200 yards get a 6PPC. 600-1000, get a 6 Dasher.

If your shooting PRS stuff your 6.5 Creed will be fine, you can load perfectly fine ammo on most any singe stage press or even a Dillon 550 with a separate powder throw.

Plan on spending big bucks on a powder measure if your shooting little groups past 200 yards.

7. biggen

biggen

Everyone has a different definition of precise.
    So that probably needs to be nailed down a bit.

You have already been given some good advice. But what do you have for a rifle?

It is possible that you will get geared up and be producing some excellent ammo, but your rig might be crap, so you will be nothing but frustrated.
    Maybe take a look at www.accurateshooter.com. Many world record holders hang out there. They're very knowledgeable and always willing to help.

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I like the Lee Classic Turret Press. Just talking about my preferences. I'll skip the handgun ammo commentary.

Even with just one caliber, I like a turret because I can set up my dies, and just leave them, screwed in, locked in place. For moving from one die to the next, just turn the turret. The auto advance is easily removed, so you are just manually turning the turret as needed.

While additional turrets are commonly bought (about $15 each) to set up additional calibers to have ready for easy change overs, you could set up the same caliber on multiple turrets. For example, if you had two sets of dies, and two turret disks, you could set one up as your standard; and set a second one up to make test ammo adjustments. Then easily switch between them as needed.

For powder, when loading .308, I measure by hand with a balance scale. I have a dipper that is close (close enough if making bulk ammo). I scoop powder, pour it onto the scale cup, and weight will be close. Then I add or take away grains as needed, using the same dipper. With a technique, it is easy to pour individual grains, also easy to count 5 or 10 or 15 grains. With experience you quickly know how many grains to reach the exact weight.

There are automated electronic powder measures one could buy to do the same thing I do by hand. Either way, the powder measuring by weight is something separate from the reloading press (because it is not done on the press). Volume measurers, in contrast, are the type that are done on a press (attaching the volume pourer to a station on a press).

So in sum, guess I'm just saying I like my dies left scewed into a turret once I get them adjusted how I want them. Multiple brands/types of turret presses will likely allow that. And for precision powder, I like to weigh each one; you can do it manually or buy an electronic dispensor that measures precisely by weight; either way, the weighing is not part of your press.

Just my thoughts :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Russ Not the Mod likes this.
  9. jared308

jared308

All the reloading information and knowledge in the world will not help you if you’re rifle won’t shoot rage holes.Make sure your equipment is capable and there is a wealth of information out there to learn to precision reloading. I just bought a rem 700 aac-sd in 6.5 Creedmoor. Before I ever shot the gun I installed a bell and Carlson medilist stock,timney 210 trigger,optics that will make you pull out your American Express and have been working load development for two months. I still can’t get under 1/2 in. Still working with my loads. Next if I can’t seem to get 1/4 or better Am going to have my action tuned and had fit with a krieger barrel. So have fun and good luck.

10. Russ Not the Mod

Russ Not the Mod

I couldn't have said it any better. The only thing you need to do is weigh each charge separately. No auto drum or auto disk

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  11. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

I would add to the stellar advice given previously just a few things:

Use premium bullets and buy a good supply of them preferably from the same lot.

Choose a cartridge case and put together a good supply from one lot. Do not mix case brands.

Weigh each powder charge.

Place your reloads in a secure case or container. Don't allow them to beat around loose.

Get a Chronograph and use it! I tested a string of my .308 reloads and found a 15 foot/second difference in high to low velocity. When you get to that point, you've done a good job!

Have fun!

Flash

SBray likes this.
  12. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

Get a cartridge case gauge and test each reloaded round for correct chamber fit. If a round is too tight, work on your set up until the fit is perfect!

Experiment with your bullet seating depth/overall length. Paint a projectile with a magic marker and experiment until your loaded round just touches the rifling. Seat the rest of your bullets .010 to .015" less than that length. Some increase that cartridge length to reduce that clearance, but I won't do that in the interest of safety! Give the chambered round some clearance! High pressure can result.

A change in projectile profile may change your OAL.

PLEASE use care in chambering your loaded test round or use a dummy round to determine your optimum OAL!

Flash

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  13. jmorris

jmorris

Find a benchrest club near you, then go watch, find the guys that are beating everyone else and strike up a conversation.

You will find the firearm/platform/environmental conditions are the most important after you the shooter. The rest is just trying to make the hole your bullets go into smaller.

fredj338 and SBray like this.
  14. SBray

SBray NRA & Second Amendment Life Member

I once was interested in benchrest competition and spent some time going to their local shoots and observing and talking with the competitors to gain knowledge of the sport. I determined that perfection requires consistency, then acquiring experience paying attention to the environment such as wind. I came to the conclusion I didn’t have the patience for such a competitive sport! :)

Steve

fredj338 likes this.
  15. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Guess we didn't give the info he was looking for.

WeeWilly likes this.
  16. fredj338

fredj338

If your rifle/scope are capable, then you can certainly handload more accurate ammo. I agree, most any higher end ss press will do fine but I would probably by a coax, redding br dies, good scale, case trimmer, calipers.
    As noted it is all about consistancy. So same lot of primers, brass, powder & bullets. Accuracy starts with a good match bullet. There are several books on loading for precision rifle, worth a read for new guys. As noted, baby steps, change only one thing at a time.

17. Pistol Pete 10

Pistol Pete 10

First thing I would do is shoot the rifle with various factory loads to determine whether or not the gun performs well enough to mess with. If it has promise proceed with hand loading. I would rule out turret presses, any play will be detrimental to your plan for "perfect" ammo. There is plenty of good information on loading good ammo. Neck turning, reaming primer pockets, checking concentricity, annealing, all kinds of wonderful stuff that may give you the best accuracy. It's almost a never ending list. If you are into benchrest shooting there is a bunch more stuff to consider.

18. jmorris

jmorris

This also give you a baseline on which you can judge your reloads.