close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

All Bark and No Bite. Military Bands and Racing Sponsorships Sacred Cows.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

Wow. I had no idea the military bands and racing sponsorships were such sacred cows. :upeyes:

Our rulers can't even agree to cuts to these multimillion dollar expenditures.

Gives you all kinds of hope for the future prosperity, huh?

http://blogs.ajc.com/jamie-dupree-w...congress-balks-at-small-military-budget-cuts/

Notice how the Republicans pretty much killed any hopes of cuts here. All bark and no bite. Liars and hypocrites.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

While I agree, it really is pointless. We're spending, what? About $2 thousand-billion more than we take in?

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

5,000 band members for 140 bands (3 per state????) costs $388,000,000.

140 iPods with a Bose docking station: $84,000.

OK, maybe not that extreme, but 5,000 band members for 140 bands for the military. That seems a bit much. How about half that?

4. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Because on paper it is just a cut, but in real life it is someone's existence - someone who votes.

5. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Not sure they are sacred cows; but the point is, what cuts are being purposed by the two legislators are not even a drop in the bucket of what needs to take place. Kingston and Cullom, they have been all over the board with this. They initially stated it was a cut in ALL military recruiting monies, then they limited to NASCAR/Wrestling and some others. They didn't remove recruiting money from the NFL/MLB etc. Then when their bill didn't pass, they tried amendments that cut the $$$. What is funny is they were caught using 5 year data to substantiate their claim today...they didn't ask or look for current data.

I'm all about cutting spending; but be realistic about it....plus the budget wasn't being cut, they were just wanting to tell the military where they needed to spend their money; in other words, it was being reallocated.

It was entertaining on C-SPAN yesterday.

:wavey:

red

6. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I believe the Army cut their NASCAR sponsorship of the #39 car (Ryan Newman/Stewart-Haas racing) out. However I haven't heard anything about the National Guard and the #88 team.

Not that Dale Earnhardt Jr will have a hard time finding a sponsor.

7. CanMan

CanMan

OMG. Thank goodness for the Federal Reserve.... we'll just print mo money. :whistling:

8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I get that it's tactics and all, but. . .

EVERY dollar less they spend is a good dollar. We can start big AND small. Cut cut cut!

9. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

I'm an Army vet, and its funny when you think about it. If you went around the Army and kicked out every soldier who was a Nascar lovin' hillbilly our standing Army would be smaller then Luxemburg's :rofl:

10. Restless28

Restless28

Right on, Dennis!!! :supergrin:

11. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Agreed. I just wish they'd do something meaningful instead of bickering over loose change in the sofa cushions.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

My uncle was in one of the Army bands for two years. There are very few full time band members. A band is under a larger chain of command and the members of the band have multiple jobs.

My uncle would play in parades, official functions or at public relations related events. The rest of the time his unit trained with medics. The band members were the ones who got the wounded to the ambulance or chopper and went in to pick up the dead.

Very few of these bands are full time. It is just one one of the duties preformed by the members. At least when I was in a guy on a base could audition for the post band. If he got in it was an additional duty to his main job but got him out of other crap jobs. (KP, Mowing lawns, Armory duty, Washing trucks)

13. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

So how do they figure it only got 20 folks to consider military? I do think $26m WOW. For your branch of service name on car??
    I can understand the bands better.

14. jilverthor

jilverthor

You are seeing the one possible reason behind not wanting to cut the number of band members displayed in the post above. Additionally, providing music for ramp ceremonies and funerals has increased the workload and deployment schedule for members of the band.

V/R,
    Jeff Silverthorn

15. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

No politician has proposed anything serious or reasoned in years, it is all political theatre. A proposes to cut something that B favors, B is forced to oppose it to retain his supporters, giving A something to point at to impress his own followers.

Back and forth they run, drilling holes in the hull of the ship of state and point fingers at each other and shout how those other guys are sinking the ship.

16. WarCry

WarCry

A friend of mine sent a letter to his representatives about this. One of his best points is: Did anyone ask the MILITARY members what they thought?

Because these programs ARE for morale, too. When there's an Army car on the track, don't you think there are soldiers that are rooting for "THEIR TEAM"? When a veteran goes to parade and sees a Marine Corps band, doesn't that refresh the esprit de corps?

17. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Why would the politicians care what the military thinks? They want to tell them what to do anyway....just like this issue with sponsorship...they are trying to tell them where to spend money for advertise/market/morale builder. Again, the politicians need to stay the freak out of running our military!:steamed:

:wavey:

red