Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an Olight T25 because I wanted a light that uses AA rather than cr123A batteries.

I noticed in the battery section of the store that the Lithium batteries (NOT the rechargeable ones) said that they lasted 6 times longer than alkaline.

For those of you who have tried them - is that claim true? Does that mean that my Olight that says it runs for 1.5 hrs on the high output level would run for 9 hours if I used the lithium batteries?

They cost about 2-3 times what the alkaline do - ust want to know if they are really worth the extra $$.

Thank you,

John

·
Inactive/Banned
3,554 Posts
From what I have seen they do last longer but rather it's worth having over alkaline is up to you. I've used the lithium ones but I'm just as happy using the alkaline batteries. But this is just my opinion regarding which I prefer.

·
Scottish Member
12,467 Posts
Some time ago I used an Orca "The Edge" diving computer. This was probably the first practical dive computer. With early 1980's electronic technology, it wasn't exactly power efficient. The deal with dive computers is that they need to stay on (at least the 'brain') until your tissues have off-gassed to normal saturation at ambient pressure - which could be several days depending upon many factors. If you've been computer diving and the data is lost, you are kinda screwed about knowing your saturation status.

I used a lithium battery in this dive computer because I could count on it lasting several days (about 5-6, IIRC), while an alkaline battery needed to be changed every day.

Every application has a cost-benefit consideration.

When I hike for several days, I carry lithium batteries because there isn't a 7-11 at the top of the mountain.

For everyday use, I typically use alkaline batteries because they are cheaper and not a big deal to change when the need occurs.

·
Why so serious?
66,298 Posts
The only thing I use Lithium in is my Eotech.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
The answer is not a simple "lithium battery lasts X times longer".

At low discharge currents (25mA, a pocket radio) lithium and alkaline batteries have roughly the same capacity (around 3000mAh for AA size battery).

At high discharge currents (1A, a high-brightness LED flashlight) the capacity of AA alkaline battery drops as low as 1000mAh. The capacity of lithium batteries stays the same.

Another factor is the temperature. At 32F the capacity of alkaline batteries drops by half.

So yes, in some conditions a lithium battery will last 6 times longer. And in some conditions it would last the same (for twice as much money).

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I use lithium AA batteries in certain applications. I think they last longer, but I'm not sure how much longer than alkaline batteries. I doubt 6x...advertising puffery at work.

I use lithium in applications where a dead battery is a nightmare to deal with, like when I'm twisted into a pretzel deep in the bilge of a boat. A dead battery at that time is a be-otch. In short, I pay for convenience. For my TV remote, alkaline is cheaper over the long haul, and I keep spare batteries in the end table drawer, so dead batteries are not a hardship.

·
Socially Inept
5,455 Posts
I mainly use them for the shelf life. A lot of my stuff lays around, or is carried, more than it's used.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I mainly use them for the shelf life. A lot of my stuff lays around, or is carried, more than it's used.
BINGO!

Same here. I just threw out a sixpack of D cell Alkaline batteries that had corroded in the box on the shelf. Things that don't get used often that sit in your car, or back pack should have lithium. Things you use day to day I use cheap alkaline batteries from Northern Tool.

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
In some camera/flash applications lithium batteries prove to last longer but I don't think six times would be common.

·
Registered
11,392 Posts

At low discharge currents (25mA, a pocket radio) lithium and alkaline batteries have roughly the same capacity (around 3000mAh for AA size battery).

At high discharge currents (1A, a high-brightness LED flashlight) the capacity of AA alkaline battery drops as low as 1000mAh. The capacity of lithium batteries stays the same.

Another factor is the temperature. At 32F the capacity of alkaline batteries drops by half.

So yes, in some conditions a lithium battery will last 6 times longer. And in some conditions it would last the same (for twice as much money).
Pretty well sums it up.

As a caver, I play 'you bet your life' with lights. For cave use nothing but Lithium. And of course I use multiple independent light sources, carry spare batteries, never cave alone, etc.

For everything else (except my camera) I just use alkaline batteries. Personal preference, but for ordinary alkaline batteries, I will only use Duracell.

For Lithium it seems you only have one choice, but they do work well. I can generally do a 12 hour cave trip on just one set of lithium's. So for an 18 hour trip I only have to change batteries once, or break out a spare light.

·
Mr. Awesome
11,574 Posts
Pretty well sums it up.

As a caver, I play 'you bet your life' with lights. For cave use nothing but Lithium. And of course I use multiple independent light sources, carry spare batteries, never cave alone, etc.

For everything else (except my camera) I just use alkaline batteries. Personal preference, but for ordinary alkaline batteries, I will only use Duracell.

For Lithium it seems you only have one choice, but they do work well. I can generally do a 12 hour cave trip on just one set of lithium's. So for an 18 hour trip I only have to change batteries once, or break out a spare light.
Where are you going to do this activity?

I prefer lithiums, but we recently bought a recharger and some rechargeable batteries. So far, we only have D's that go in the baby swing. They have nearly paid for themselves in only a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
I also use Lithium for most of my stuff. Cost has to be weighed against reliability and lifetime.

I use a couple of 300 Lm flashlights, using one AA each. The non-rechargeable Lithium last significantly longer before the performance deteriorates, compared to Alkalines.

Lithium have lower internal impedance so they deliver significantly higher peak currents. They also do not dim much before they die, so less warning than Alkalines when going bad.

Lithium is my preference for durability. Alkaline for stuff that is not important to me, but Alkalines need periodic checking for leakage when stored. I've lost a couple of flashlights over the years. None with Lithium.

·
Da Da
7,222 Posts
A few years ago I did a cost comparison between name brand batts and Costco batts including lithium everready.

I used my four canon 550ex flashs on full power manual.

Lithium lasted the longest but were so hot I could not hold them. I worry they would damage my $400 flash.

Best bang for the buck were the Costco batts.

For shelf life the lithium lasted two years with no leaks and still had a lot of power left. But you you pay serious premium for that.

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,749 Posts
Buy some enloops with a charger from someplace like Costco and call it a day!

Carrying 2xAA spares in your pocket is no big deal. .

What's wrong with CR123s?

I pay $0.90 each and the have a shelf life of forever. . .

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I agree with the Eneloops. Frankly, I'm doing away with pretty much everything else.

Lithiums are pricy, but they have their place. I use them in my flashlights that are stored in my cars.

The lithiums store longer and seem somewhat impervious to extremes in temperature.

·
Millenium #3936
6,508 Posts
Lith all the way... and I stay away from cr123's as well. Anyone not familiar with the CR123 hazard, please read up on it.

·
Scottish Member
12,467 Posts
Lith all the way... and I stay away from cr123's as well. Anyone not familiar with the CR123 hazard, please read up on it.
I read that USA made CR123 were as good as any other Li battery; it was the made in china CR123's that were the problem. This was in a FedEx memo to the pilots, a FDX pilot had a flashlight start a fire in a backpack in the cockpit (plane was on the ground at the time).

See: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...carrier_info/media/Battery_incident_chart.pdf (page 4)

All batteries have some fire hazard and Li's are greater than most because of several factors.

See: http://www.acsf.aero/attachments/wysiwyg/1922/Fire Safety.pdf

·
Scottish Member
12,467 Posts

My vote for best answer.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts