Glock Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
S&W, SigSauer, H&K, Winchester, and Glock
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have experience with Alessi Talon Plus for their Glock? eBay has em for decent $ and wondering if it was worth avoiding the wait to have new one from Alessi custom made. Some have mentioned Ritchie makes a better product and he was former worker from Alessi.

·
Have Gun Will Travel
3,461 Posts
Lou passed away in 2009. He was one of the best. Last I heard his daughter and SIL were running the business and making holsters. The quality of materials and workmanship has always been top notch. Depending on price, I'd be all over that.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Alessi is first class, good to go. I know Skip Ritchie personally and his work is first class as well. When I lived local to them, you could bring an old Alessi holster to the shop and if something was amiss ( broken snap, worn out velcro on an ankle rig etc) they would stop what they were working on, fix it and hand it back no charge. An Alessi or Ritchie holster is a life long purchase

·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do appreciate the quality of custom leather makers like them. The craftsmanship and time spent making the holster always seems worth the wait. I have a Wright’s and a TT and have had a R Grizzle and so dig the custom ones. Looking into Alessi and Ritchie now.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I have a similar holster from Ritchie (Nighthawk model) that was custom made for my G38. Beautiful holster and the gun fit perfectly. The problem is the clip. It is not meant to fit over the belt but rather to hook onto the seam of your jeans and your belt goes over the clip.

This did absolutely not work for my setup. Even though the holster stayed in place when drawing the gun (i.e. the holster did not unclip from the jeans and ride up), this clip did nothing to prevent the holster and gun from sagging down. The result was that after a few minutes, the butt of the gun would be so far down into the waistline of the jeans that it was almost impossible to get a full fingered grip on it.

Truly the most illogical and non performing clip design on any kind of holster I've ever seen or tried.

A shame, that superbly crafted Ritchie holster went right into my holster drawer, never to see the light of day again.

Do yourself a favor and get a holster that clips OVER the belt to get proper support, not under it. I wonder what Alessi (and Ritchie who later copied it) were smoking when they came up with this clip concept. Ritchie markets this holster as one that can be used with or without a belt but c'mon, when are you ever not going to use a belt when carrying? To make matters worse, when you do have a belt, the belt does absolutely nothing to support the holster and gun because the clip is uselessly positioned under the belt which makes the belt completely superfluous when using this type of holster.

Sorry for the rant, just trying to save the OP some frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a similar holster from Ritchie (Nighthawk model) that was custom made for my G38. Beautiful holster and the gun fit perfectly. The problem is the clip. It is not meant to fit over the belt but rather to hook onto the seam of your jeans and your belt goes over the clip.

This did absolutely not work for my setup. Even though the holster stayed in place when drawing the gun (i.e. the holster did not unclip from the jeans and ride up), this clip did nothing to prevent the holster and gun from sagging down. The result was that after a few minutes, the butt of the gun would be so far down into the waistline of the jeans that it was almost impossible to get a full fingered grip on it.

Truly the most illogical and non performing clip design on any kind of holster I've ever seen or tried.

A shame, that superbly crafted Ritchie holster went right into my holster drawer, never to see the light of day again.

Do yourself a favor and get a holster that clips OVER the belt to get proper support, not under it. I wonder what Alessi (and Ritchie who later copied it) were smoking when they came up with this clip concept. Ritchie markets this holster as one that can be used with or without a belt but c'mon, when are you ever not going to use a belt when carrying? To make matters worse, when you do have a belt, the belt does absolutely nothing to support the holster and gun because the clip is uselessly positioned under the belt which makes the belt completely superfluous when using this type of holster.

Sorry for the rant, just trying to save the OP some frustration.

So appreciate the rant because your educating and looking out for fellow Glockers. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
So appreciate the rant because your educating and looking out for fellow Glockers. Thanks.
No problem. Do what I wish I had done; choose another holster model from Ritchie or Alessi that have proper belt loops or clip. Both of these holster makers are absolutely top notch. It's the design of this particular holster that is the problem, not the holster maker or any of their other models. As I am typing this, I am tempted to order another Ritchie for the G38, maybe the Stakeout, with proper snap belt loops. I was blown away at the craftsmanship of his other holster.

Good luck in the holster shopping process, its fun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.