Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 1085 Posts

·
Premium Member
CLM #38
10,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Fired prop gun while on set of movie, kills female cinematographer and wounds another.

Released after preliminary investigation.

·
Registered
9,234 Posts
I saw that. Tragic for all involved. I wonder if it was a wad or something. Are there any movie set prop gun experts on GT?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fired prop gun while on set of movie, kills female cinematographer and wounds another.
Released after preliminary investigation.
Tragic, but the fact that it happens so rarely ( I can only think of two... Brandon Lee and Jon-Eric Hexum) probably means that propmasters have safe handling procedures nailed down. It wil be interesting to see what happened.

·
NRA Life Member
69,817 Posts
First reaction: I am disappointed that Baldwin didn't shoot himself.

Not trying to be snarky, but I think of all the OSHA training I’m forced to take and give to my employees. You’d think there would be a mandatory gun safety class. Even with prop guns.
Normal gun safety rules wouldn't really apply to a gun you are supposed to load, point at people and fire.

Tragic, but the fact that it happens so rarely ( I can only think of two... Brandon Lee and Jon-Eric Hexum) probably means that propmasters have safe handling procedures nailed down. It wil be interesting to see what happened.
To have killed one and hit another seems more like they had live ammo. or a bullet in the barrel like Brandon Lee, rather than a blank wad, like Hexum.

·
Pretty Ladies!
4,813 Posts
I'm curious as to how two people got shot. Were there multiple shots, which if the gun was loaded with blanks as you'd expect, means that the blanks "failed" twice in a row, which seems statistically improbable. Did a live round make it into the gun, causing a through- and- through type situation?

Curious.

·
Registered
105 Posts
First reaction: I am disappointed that Baldwin didn't shoot himself.

Normal gun safety rules wouldn't really apply to a gun you are supposed to load, point at people and fire.

To have killed one and hit another seems more like they had live ammo. or a bullet in the barrel like Brandon Lee, rather than a blank wad, like Hexum.
My understanding is that since Brandon Lee was killed guns with blanks are never discharged pointing at another person. It's either done with camera angles so the gun is fired off to the side or they use a prop gun and CGI. It would be interesting to hear from someone in the industry.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My understanding is that since Brandon Lee was killed guns with blanks are never discharged pointing at another person. It's either done with camera angles so the gun is fired off to the side or they use a prop gun and CGI. It would be interesting to hear from someone in the industry.
This was my understanding as well, I watched a documentary on Brandon Lee's death and was under the impression that the actors guild banned anything that was not a designated prop gun and completely incapable of even firing blanks after Lee's death.

·
NRA Life Member
69,817 Posts
Since he hit the crew and not another actor, they may be why.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I think the movie is a western …. So maybe an old 45 Colt or something which would definitely go through a person and continue down range. Maybe a stuck bullet in the barrel like what happened to Brandon lee

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Being Hollywood with prop masters involved, the four rules of gun safety do not apply. This will be a fun one for the lawyers.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Maybe this thread title should read

Anti-Gun Alex Baldwin Shoots and Kills Woman, Wounds Man

Noted Hollywood actor and anti-gun activist, Alex Baldwin shot and killed a woman on a movie set. He also shot a man who was taken to a hospital.

And so on ........

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Do prop guns chamber regular ammo? If the projectile went through and throgh and wounded a second person it would seem to have been a metal projectile.(?)

·
Mr. Awesome
12,459 Posts
Yeah, it would be hard to get a video of anything firearm-related, if you followed the firearm rules, on a movie set.

I'm curious as to how two people got shot. Were there multiple shots, which if the gun was loaded with blanks as you'd expect, means that the blanks "failed" twice in a row, which seems statistically improbable. Did a live round make it into the gun, causing a through- and- through type situation?

Curious.
I read elsewhere it went through the first person, then wounded the second.

Which brings us to….I really didn’t think they used firearms that could fire projectiles, at all, with actors.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My understanding is that there was a "dummy bullet" lodged in the barrel where BL was killed. The blank cartridge pushed the bullet through which is what killed him.

There are descriptions of how prop guns are used on set on the internet.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My prayers for the victims and I hope for equal justice for mister anti gun Baldwin . I hope he is treated just like me if I did what he did. He should be investigated by the local D.A. Prosecuted . Then the victims family can have their way with him in a civil trail . Just what would happen to me

1 - 20 of 1085 Posts