Alcoholic Ciders

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by latham44, Mar 22, 2010.

1. latham44

latham44 Saint Boondock

OK, so I have a question for the GT folks. Last week my wife and I went to dinner and she insisted that I try a new "beer" that our local hangout is starting to sell alot of. The drink in question is called Strongbow, it's an English cider, so I was a little skeptical, but said "what the heck". I was a little shocked at the price($4.25 for a 16 oz draft). After tasting it I was very surprised at how good it was. So here is where my questions start.

1.) Is cider considered a "girly" drink?
    2.) Anyone from England or been there and what is the opinion of "ciders" there?

I'm not going to drink this regularly as I can't justify the cost, but is it looked down upon like Zima is/was?

Do I need to turn in my man card for liking it? My buddies say "yes".

2. SunGunner

SunGunner

I like it, Hornsby makes a good Amber, so does Woodchuck. I don't really like the granny smith ones. My dad would drink it every so often in the fall, I do the same.

Much cheaper if you buy it at the grocery store. No it is not Zima, hard cider has been around as long as people have been drinking apple cider.

3. zeke66

zeke66

4. glockman23

glockman23

I enjoy a cider once in a while. Some of them are too sweet for me:

Woodchuck Dry is really good if you can find it. You might have to go to an import store. The Strongbow is my second favorite. "K" is good too. I used to drink that years ago. I don't know if they still make it. Bell's brewery is by my house- they make a draft cider that's pretty good.

5. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

I really hate drunk ciders.

Danged drain on society when their livers get pickled and they need free health care.

All ye sinning ciders, get thee to AA!

:supergrin:

6. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

I drank Strongbow a lot when we would go to the pubs in Germany. I want to say a very good portion in the pubs drank it as well.

It's not a "girly" drink. Just go with what taste good to you.

Who gives a flying **** what anyone thinks. If they comment, tell them to go **** themselves.

7. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

Yes I love my ciders, I have tried everyone that I can find. Strongbow, woodchuck, etc.

Magners is without a doubt the best. I also think the draft version taste a little better than the bottle.

8. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

I second this, I never got the girly drink thing. I drink whatever taste good. Besides my girly drinks usually have more alcohol in them, than bud etc.

9. speedsix

speedsix

Strongbow is a good strong and dry cider, not like Woodchuck and most American ciders.

In America, ciders have a bit of reputation of alcoholic pops because most American ciders are so sweet. In Britain, ciders are what the tough guys drink because it is about twice as strong as beer. In Britain you can get some really nice dry ciders like Strongbow on draft.

America is slowly catching the cider wave and I predict that they will be the next big thing. We have had the American micro brew explosion and the next big thing will be micro brewed ciders. I am looking forward to it because I love a good cider.

I had Strongbow on draft as well as several other when I was visiting my wife's family in the UK. I fell in love with ciders while there. They are nothing like the sickly sweet Hornby's garbage you buy in bottles.

A good dry cider in summertime is an amazing thing. It is so crisp and refreshing that you will never drink beer in summer again.

So, to answer your question, cider is considered a girl drink if you drink junk like Hornby's Woodchuck and Granny Smith. If you drink a pint of Strongbow, you are a hard man that is not to be messed with and one of discerning and sophisticated tastes. The only people who would make fun of you for drinking Strongbow are inbred yahoos that you wouldn't care about anyway. If Bubba makes fun of you for drinking a Strongbow, tell him to take his piss water Bud Lite and (which has nearly no alcohol) shove it.

10. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

I've completely transitioned to cider. I got to the point I couldn't get a drink of beer down, without belching, hiccups etc and just a half of beer. My buddy got me hooked on Woodchuck. The darker the better, Dry and Red Delicious go down very smooth, kinda refreshing i guess. Hi Im Campdoles and im a Cider drinker

11. jamison92

jamison92

I love cider you should also try a half and half Guinness and Woodchuck. Quite enjoyable.

12. eaglesfan55

eaglesfan55 (>'-')>

its not girly. but 100% a winter drink. if you find yourself having one in the middle of august you should think about cutting a corner off your card.

ps we drink it warm here. mmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  13. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

Strongbow is my beverage of choice when I go to London. I LOVE it.

http://www.strongbowspub.de/products/products.html

I have been able to find it here in the U.S.A too....check it out.

14. staedtler

staedtler

In the UK cider is generally only consumed by the hardcore inebriates, by which I mean the teenagers, physical labourers, dogs, career dipsomaniacs and/or anybody else if the sun makes a rare appearance. It can go from around 4% ABV for something like tame like Strongbow to anything north of 10% if it has 'Scrumpy' or 'White' in the name.

There's been a trend brought over from the Irish Republic in the last couple of years to serve pints of cider with loads of ice, which is great when you are necking the pints on a hot day but you can end up with a watery mess otherwise.

So, in general the opinion of ciders in England is that they try to avoid getting drunk.

15. treeline

treeline

Depends on the brand. Woodpecker is the traditional girly cider, a weak, sweet drink for younger people who don't like the taste of alcohol. It's seen as a drink for teenage girls and boys who are fond of musical theater.

At the other end is scrumpy, a rough cider favored by rural types who drink 8 pints and drag race their tractors. It's cloudy, strong and tasty, which is dangerous as you have a few pints and suddenly discover you can't feel your legs.

In the last few years the major breweries have pushed cider as a tasty alternative to the mass-produced beer. 10 years ago I only ever saw Strongbow on tap, with the awful high-strength crap like K and diamond white in bottles. Now it's also Gaymers and Magners, 2 of the better major brands, with Kopparberg making inroads. Real cider, the stuff made by small local breweries, is also increasingly popular.

I like the stuff, much more than beer. My favorites are Kopparberg and Magners Irish. The real ciders are much better but also much less common and usually twice the price. I've been in a few student pubs and they all serve snakebite, a mix of cider and beer. Nice stuff. Add some blackcurrent juice to snakebite and you make diesel. It tastes like a soft drink and knocks you flat on your ***.

16. the iceman

I loved it as well! It's all I would drink at pubs. Strongbow and Heineken were always my favorites when I wasn't drinking the German stuff.

17. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

I'm getting thirsty :wavey: I think the stuff I drank in Germany was Augustiner Pils.

18. the iceman

Oh I tried every German beer I could get my hands on. I even went on tours of breweries whenever I could.

I don't drink anymore but I wouldn't mind having a Strongbow right now.

19. Smoker

Smoker

I read Ozzie's book, he loved the cider way to much for what that's worth.

20. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

Strongbow is the only thing I've ever drank where I really, really craved more of it. I could drink it like water...very refreshing.