close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alaskans...a little help

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Scoob, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Scoob

Scoob

My brothers and I are planning a trip to AK next summer to do some Salmon fishing. I'm pretty excited already. We ( two bro's and I ) went up in 94 and had a great time. We are planning to fish Willow creek, as we fished there ten years ago and had great success. We may also be looking for a charter boat for halibut. Anyhow, I'm looking for some links with info on limits, seasons, licencing costs and such. Any help appreciated.:)

2. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

3. Scoob

Scoob

Thanks a lot bustedknee:)

4. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

5. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

Willow Creek is still a productive fishing spot for spring kings, but they recently paved the road and parking areas. There are EVEN MORE people there now. Talk about combat fishing!

For saltwater fishing, I have personally fished with the following saltwater charters, and I would not hesitate to do so again.

The first operator is out of Seward, AK, which is a 2 hour drive south of Anchorage. His name is Capt. Al, and his boat is the Dreamweaver. The boat is a 27' C-Dory with an inboard 350hp Volvo Penta. This guy really knows where to catch fish. I mean it. Watch the docks in Seward, and the DreamWeaver consistently brings back nice loads of fish. I went out with him twice last summer (once in July and once in August) and had great fishing on both occasions. His web address is http://www.ptialaska.net/~newwave/page2.html. If your friends want to go out of Seward, this is the the guy.

The other charter I have been out with in Homer, AK (4.5 hour drive from Anchorage) is Capt. Mike's Charters, http://captmike.com/. He has two boats now, but I went out with him 2 years ago when he only had the Wildcat. A ride on this boat is truly worth the cost of the charter. He had two 500hp Yanmar diesels on the Wildcat, and because of the size and speed of the boat, he is able to get out to the Baron Islands and fish for larger fish more often than other charters. We had a family reunion in 2002 and went out with Mike on his boat. There were 10 of us, and we had plenty of room.

The other charter I have been with is out of Ninilchik, AK (4.5 hour drive from Anchorage). J&J Smart Charters has two identical 6-pack boats. John runs one, while his wife, Joan, and daughter, Sara, run the other boat. These folks are just plain nice. Now that I have my own boat, they have given me tips and pointers, and they have even let me play tag-along and fish right along side them. Besides the charters, they have a few cabins and a great campground with hot showers and flush toilets. They also have vacuum packing and freezing available. Whenever we are in the area, we stay at their campground and are treated VERY well. Their website is http://www.smartcharters.com/.

Please note, I do not work for or get "kickbacks" from any of these folks. I simply recommend their services because I was treated so well. If you have any questions or need more information, please let me know.

I have been out with other charters in Alaska, but I do not recommend them. Saltwater Safari and Command Charters, both out of Seward, did not impress me at all. And, this wasn't due to poor fishing, but because of their attitudes. As fishing clients, we were veiwed as a bother or hindrance, and not as guests. Capt. Bob at Saltwater Safari was quite rude.

6. Scoob

Scoob

Bustedknee- thanks again, great link.

Dan-Excellent info, thanks.