Alaskan Grizzly Attack

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by rds95991, Sep 23, 2020.

1. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

I’ve never seen a USGS AK personal issued a 38.

By far the most common govt issued weapon for those who go carry in AK is the 12 gauge pump.

9jeeps and sombunya like this.
  2. IvanVic

IvanVic

We just got back from a backpacking trip during which we saw nearly a dozen black bears. It was surreal - peak berry season. I had a Glock 19 and was wishing we had brought bear spray as well (there's a good reason I didn't, mostly travel related). Of course I would have felt even better with a shotgun or .45-70, but that's not realistic for backpacking in a popular national park.

You cannot discharge a firearm in most national parks, and while that wouldn't stop me from using one if I had to, when you're actually face to face with a bear and you have a pistol, you don't feel prepared...probably because you aren't. One of the bears put us in a precarious spot, and while we weren't in danger, we were very close to reaching that point. Had it decided to charge us, the odds of me (or any decent shooter) placing a kill shot on it with a 9mm are not great. I would be hoping that the sound of the gun, or any hit to its body, would send it running in the other direction - and maybe that's what would have happened. I didn't want to find out.

Had I discharged a handgun to stop a charge, or fired a warning shot to stop a charge from a distance, I would have almost certainly been dealing with anti-gun park people who would have seen me as some yahoo with a gun. Nothing I said would have changed that. Even if it had charged us at close range, it would essentially be my word that I had no choice but to shoot. It doesn't take a lot of clairvoyance to see how that would have played out in Washington state.

This is why I like spray (with a firearm as backup) in these situations, especially for my wife who doesn't shoot much at all.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Caver 60 likes this.

3. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

My buddy and his dad were fishing in AK. He said there was a Grizzly pulling fish out of the water about 50 feet away. I asked if he worried about a Bear attack and he said the Bear was too busy fishing.

He also said the guide of the group was carrying a Street Sweeper.

4. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Yep, well fed bears are not usually the ones you need to watch out for.

5. 9jeeps

9jeeps rip "Bud"

Round here when Griz is on the mozey I stay in my cage!

G33 likes this.
  6. 9jeeps

9jeeps rip "Bud"

I hear that all the time, too. One reason i don't pack a 9mm, 10mm, and stay out of the high Sage.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020