Glock Talk banner

Alaska Load ! 10mm Auto

946 19
Straight Shooter Cast Bullet Black Cherry
220gr Hard Cast Hi Tek coated 22 BHN (actual weight 212gr)
Blue Dot @ 9.5
Starline Case with CCI 300
Great accurate bullet for shooting game in Alaska.
You need a bullet to bust thru a shoulder blade this is it !
G20 with 4.6 KKM barrel
22 Pound spring

Wood Font Automotive tire Hardwood Auto part

Rectangle Font Technology Parallel Magenta
Hunting Plant Trophy hunting Carnivore Working animal
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Jmo, i dont think you get much going to 220 v 200 but more recoil. In a solid, i doubt the 200 stops inside even a big bear. I would want a larger flat point than that bullet offers & the extra 100fps to drive it. You have a chrono reading on those? I couldnt get much over 1150 in my stock g20sf.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Jmo, i dont think you get much going to 220 v 200 but more recoil. In a solid, i doubt the 200 stops inside even a big bear. I would want a larger flat point than that bullet offers & the extra 100fps to drive it. You have a chrono reading on those? I couldnt get much over 1150 in my stock g20sf.
In a 4.6” we are in the same vel numbers ! The nose contour on this Hardcast is very much like a XTP to insure good feeding. I notice Underwood Hardcast has the same contour. 9.5 of BD. The bullet is advertised as 220gr but is actually 212gr just like the Underwood 220gr bullet factory load.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Automotive lighting Wood Gas Bumper Automotive exterior

Tire Automotive tire Rectangle Wood Bumper

These are the 220s I use. They are from Ackerman bullets which has since gone away. They weigh in at 218gr with a .325” meplat and are very short for a 220 bullet. I can get them over 1400fps in a 7” kkm barrel. Will run 1300fps in a 5” 1911.

·
Registered
27,255 Posts
View attachment 1118354
View attachment 1118353
These are the 220s I use. They are from Ackerman bullets which has since gone away. They weigh in at 218g with a .325” meplat and are very short for a 220 bullet. I can get them over 1400fps in a 7” kkm barrel. Will run 1300fps in a 5” 1911.
Is that 218g or 218gr? Not nit picking, just asking.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
In a 4.6” we are in the same vel numbers ! The nose contour on this Hardcast is very much like a XTP to insure good feeding. I notice Underwood Hardcast has the same contour.
Which I think is too small a meplate. The WNFP is a better tool, creates a wider wound channel & since all we get with a solid is bullet dia. having the widest nose possible is desirable imo.

Reactions: MarkCO

·
Registered
995 Posts
View attachment 1118387
Ive been wanting to try these, But I am going have to order another bullet seating stem and I guess epoxy it.
If they don't make a seating stem for those then just get any .40 cal seating stem that fits your die and just fill the seating end with JB Weld and sand it to a smooth flat surface, ie, completely flat across the bottom.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
View attachment 1118387
Ive been wanting to try these, But I am going have to order another bullet seating stem and I guess epoxy it.
I've gone to nose down in a Lee sizer, just easier than dealing with custom nose punches. Upside is with HP, no nose deformation.

Reactions: MarkCO

·
Registered
31 Posts
View attachment 1118415
I did manage to get a few dummy rounds to seat straight. I think the OAL is good and they do feed when I drop the slide.

But it does dent the meatplat edge going up the ramp.
View attachment 1118416
shouldn't dent the bullet at all!!! unless the Brinell Hardness # is very low. why would you shoot a hard cast that expands or moves? why not just get a jacketed bullet that is designed for that? complete pass thru is the name of the game for me. 2 holes leak more.
wish that "they" would market those EXTREME PENETRATORS in a hard cast with the fluid dynamics cuts AND THE WEIGHT!!! OR MAYBE 12L14 leaded steel with a copper coat to slide down the barrel.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shouldn't dent the bullet at all!!! unless the Brinell Hardness # is very low. why would you shoot a hard cast that expands or moves? why not just get a jacketed bullet that is designed for that? complete pass thru is the name of the game for me. 2 holes leak more.
wish that "they" would market those EXTREME PENETRATORS in a hard cast with the fluid dynamics cuts AND THE WEIGHT!!! OR MAYBE 12L14 leaded steel with a copper coat to slide down the barrel.....
Rectangle Font Technology Parallel Magenta

Rectangle Font Wood Wall Handwriting

·
Registered
31 Posts
22 BNH is plenty hard enough! whatever it is seems to be happening on chambering the round. when you chamber a round by hand, do you see a nick? has it got plenty of clearance coming out of the magazine? i have had to remove material in the front of the mag before to accommodate a wide meplat bullet. last thing i could think of would be the feed ramp transition. good luck! hope you find the problem and may it be a small one!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Thats through a RIA 1911 If I had to guess the recoil spring is at least a 20lb . I havent tried it in the g20 thats something I need to do. The picture makes it look worse than it actualy is still not ideal but I think it will work.
Extending the oal I dont think thats going to be possible ive pretty much have it maxed out on the 1911 magazine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
22 BNH is plenty hard enough! whatever it is seems to be happening on chambering the round. when you chamber a round by hand, do you see a nick? has it got plenty of clearance coming out of the magazine? i have had to remove material in the front of the mag before to accommodate a wide meplat bullet. last thing i could think of would be the feed ramp transition. good luck! hope you find the problem and may it be a small one!
It sounds like your crimp
Strongly suggest the Lee Factory Crimp Die for the last step in the reloading the 10mm Auto

1 - 20 of 20 Posts