Alaska- Airplane, Bear and Duct Tape...(pictures)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tbhracing, Jan 19, 2010.

1. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

During a private "fly-in" fishing excursion in the Alaskan wilderness, the chartered pilot and fishermen left a cooler and bait in the plane. And a bear smelled it. This is what he did to the plane.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pilot used his radio and had another pilot bring him 2 new tires, 3 cases of duct tape, and a supply of sheet plastic. He patched the plane together, and FLEW IT HOME !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I saw pic once a buddy took of his flight back on one of the puddle jumpers. He had paid for the hunt of a lifetime and it did not disappoint. In the pic you could see the moose head, antlers and cape tied under the wing as they were flying back. You could also see the bailing wire holding the wing and strut to the fuselage!!!!

Only in Alaska!

3. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Damn he should have gotten a gallon of green paint...

4. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

5. Johnspark

Johnspark Grumpy Fish

When that pilot walks, people think church bells are ringing. LOL.

6. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

:rofl: :rofl: Took me a second on that one

7. dirtpig67

dirtpig67

I flew in a similar plane up there this past summer for work and the pilot lowered the flaps on one side of the plane by opening the window and pulling on a exposed cable!! The controls in the cockpit did not work and he had been flying around like this for about a year.

8. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Though I got those photos several months ago, its by far not the craziest thing I've ever seen flying in AK.

9. 3glkdog

3glkdog

I'm pretty sure duct tape is not FAA approved in the lower 48. But this is Alaska.

10. PBCounty

PBCounty

11. dirtpig67

dirtpig67

Another instance of typical Alaska bush flying.

I was flying into a remote, dirt, airstrip out in western AK backhauling a bunch of supplies from a recent wildfire. As we were approaching, the pilot mentions that the airstrip is right at his limit for taking off, but nothing to worry about.

We land, load up, and then head down the runway to take off. He throttles it all the way. The end of the runway and a big wall of spruce trees is getting really, close really fast and the plane doesn't feel like it is getting any lift. At the last second, I saw to myself, "yup we are going to die" and I was rather calm about it for some reason. At that moment the pilot yanks back on the stick, the plane goes nearly vertical and the stall siren goes off. He jams the stick forward to level it off and it levels off about 20 feet off the tops of the trees. He looks at me and says, "whoa - that about left a mark, hey?!?"

12. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

That's the nice thing about cloth cover airplanes. You can repair them easily.

Oh yeah.......The bear didn't need anything to attract it. They're destructive little bastids and will chew on anything just because. They especially love 4-wheeler seats and cedar siding. I had a chunk chewed from my bedroom wall this past summer.

13. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

I haven't seen a bear take that much dislike to an airplane before, but I've seen several Moose decide to teach a piper cub a lesson before.

I know in King Salmon, they had such an issue with bears chewing on rubber lines they started parking the Beavers nose out at night to keep the bears away from the motor.