close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alas poor range commands, we knew you well...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BamaTrooper, Jul 19, 2012.

1. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

AKA... to standby or not to standby.

Is it really as simple as it sounds or is there a blockage of interdiscipline verbage?

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuJ7fPrMyD4&feature=plcp"]PHA June 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

This is a steel match I shot a few weeks ago. Forgive the shooting itself, as I suck. 6 different stages. The gamut of range commands.

The first one is the one discussed most often.
    Shooter ready? (I nod)
    Standby
    Beep

The next 4, I think partly are lost in editing, all you hear is the R.O. saying
    "shooter indicates ready" (statement, not a question)
    Standby
    Beep

More importantly, the 6th (starts at 2:25, youtube does let you fast forward), is the way I prefer it.

1. Gimme a nod when you're ready
    (I fidget a little, then nod)
    2. Shooter indicates ready
    3. Standby
    4. Beep

For volgrad, the cadence is always the same, with roughly the same amount of time between the commands. It's very easy to follow. The reason I like it this way? It lets ME dictate when the countdown is going to start. Once he says "gimme a nod", I can take my few deep breaths, shake my hands... whatever. As long as it's not some long, drawn out process... I can THEN nod my head that I'm good. And a quick countdown and I go.

This is versus the R.O. getting to kick things off so to speak. As Volgrad said in the other thread, I've seen R.O.'s not wait for a nod/answer, but a second or two later give the "Standby", "beep".

Yeah, definitely prefer the way I was run in stage 6 vs stage 1 from that video. It's not a HUGE deal to me, I'm used to both and have done both plenty of times. My *preference* is for the latter. Let me start things off.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

3. Jon_R

Jon_R

What I do 95% of the time. IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun,

1) Shooter Any Questions?
    2) Shooter Give me a nod when ready? Wait for nod or "I'm ready" etc...
    3) Shooter is ready Standby
    4) Beep

After the 30th time for the day in FL in July I feel like I am on auto pilot though so I might deviate...

For Steel Challenge I skip #1.

4. bryandover

bryandover

It doesn't matter what anyone perfers or what the rules say, this is GSSF and you will get what commads that RO whats to give.

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

With all due respect, not true at all.
    I've found the R.O.'s to be extremely flexible and willing to change how they might do it when asked. I usually won't say anything UNLESS I feel the guy is running me too fast (ie, giving the shooter ready? before I"m even close to being ready) But then I'll say, "Gimme a second or two, I'll nod when ready". I've done that on 5 or 6 different stages over the years. Never heard the first "This is GSSF, we don't do it that way" type comment.

Video from Griffin this year:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4eBV44Ew70&feature=plcp"]2012 Griffin GSSF Plates - Amateur Civilian Division - YouTube[/ame]
    This guy could pretty much know when I was ready. I do my fidgeting, he lets me... then we do it. So I never said anything, it was a non-issue. *IN FACT*, if you notice, he actually changes on his own how he runs me without me saying a thing.
    First string, he says, "Are you ready?". On the third string, he sees me nodding once my fidgeting is done and he simply says "Shooter ready" (statement, not a question) and we go. 4th string is the same way.

I'm not doing all this posting because I'm complaining or anything. I've run both ways, have no issues. I prefer the R.O. who is attentive and lets me settle in. For the guy who doesn't, I ask him to just hold on until I nod. I actually *prefer* that way, but don't bring it up unless I'm being rushed too much.

All I'm trying to do is bring my personal insight into the conversation.

6. bryandover

bryandover

I didn't say the RO's are not flexible, I just take what commands they give me. But I have never felt rushed, if the gun is in my hand I am ready.

7. PM720

PM720

Bryan, just out of curiousity, once you are looking down range do you really HEAR those commands or are you just focused on the buzzer and the target? I know when I was drag racing once I was in the water box I didn't hear much else around me. No anouncers or people in the stand noises or anything like that. And once I was staged to go there was nothing but me and the Tree.

Scott

8. Noponer

Noponer

In other words, the shooters need to be flexible... because of the variety of RO's which must be used. I agree. We do not need to get too uptight about it.

Of course, I am offering a view from my end of the scale (not going to win too much, too often anyway)... but Bryan offers a view from the other end of that scale.

9. bryandover

bryandover

I hear them but it doesn't bother me. I sure heard Pete in the background yelling tring to get in my head. I guess it worked with all the penalties I was shooting.

10. bryandover

bryandover

That's the point :supergrin: GSSF is a simple game and should not take as much thinking as a 32 round USPSA stage. L-R or R-L and that decision should be made before you are on the line. :dunno:

11. bryandover

bryandover

This ain't Dodge City, & you ain't Bill Hickok."

How about this ain't rocket science!

12. Roadkill_751

Roadkill_751 5 or 6 rounds?

I guess Pete's payback was sitting three hours on Bay 1 waiting to shoot at D'ville? :rofl:

13. Noponer

Noponer

That's my "signature line" & appears on all my posts; I meant Quigley's comment as a general outlook on things...

but I guess it applies here.

14. bryandover

bryandover

I was wishing for 4 hours. :rofl:Not really :upeyes:

15. PM720

PM720

I just wish they would quit saying "Shooter Ready?" while I am still looking down at the table getting ready! :dunno:

Scott

16. SARDG

SARDG

I am not posting in this thread because Bama's misquote (or literary license) of Shakespeare has upset my sensibilities too much...

17. legacy38

legacy38 Millennium Member

One thing I have taken from this thread and the Dawsonville debriefing thread is that from now on I will have a brief conversation with the RO prior to my shooting. It will be something like:

"Please hold the timer close to my earn and not the back of my head. Also, please as 'Shooter ready?' and wait for me to give you a signal before you go to 'standby' and hit the button. Thank you."

18. SARDG

SARDG

Since ROs have such a diverse background and experience, I think that would be a great idea. It leaves nothing to chance... maybe. :)

I have run Pete S. a few times and he comes up to the line and 'lays it on the line' - tells the RO exactly what he expects to happen and how he wants everything called before he even gets out his gun I think. Works out fine for me, because it's exactly what I do anyway. Once again... can't speak for other ROs.

19. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Bingo...I know of two occasions where the timer went off and I didn't start becauseI wasn't ready. They started over.

20. SARDG

SARDG

I do (and have done) the same. If you don't even start, you don't need a reshoot.