close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alarm goes off at night, what do you do?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by phr00t, Mar 15, 2010.

1. phr00t

phr00t

Here is a hypothetical.. what would you do?

You wake up @ 4am, your intruder alarm is going off (which consists of a motion detector / door alarm / window alarm etc.). You have your trusty nightstand firearm by your side, and your bedroom door is locked. You don't actually know if someone is in your house or not... what do you do?

I know the safest route is to keep your door locked, call the police and hide with your firearm until the police show up. However, that sucks if it was just a false alarm... also, what if you don't hear anything after you turn off the alarm? Still play it safe and call the police, or see if anyone is hiding (or not)?

Thanks!

2. MoJo33

MoJo33

Tell my wife to be ready to call the police, get the kids then check to see what it is. I have had a few false alarms before. If I hear something else, like running, talking ect... then I would yell to her to call while I returned with the kids and lock all of us into the bedroom.

All of this while armed of course.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010

3. Jon_R

Jon_R

I have my wife call the police and I grab my light and pistol and clear my house.

My house has a split floor plan so my three kids are on the opposite side of the house. I am not holding up in my bedroom and wish them the luck.

4. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Shoot someone or something. :dunno:

5. Adjuster

Adjuster

Answer the phone when the alarm monitoring company calls. They will tell you all is ok and the police are on the way. I have seen this scenario played out hundreds of times on tv commercials. Bad guy always runs off. When the police show give them the description for a good looking clean cut white guy.

6. bluenoise

bluenoise

My alarm would tell me which sensor was tripped (i.e. "Alarm...Back Kitchen Door."), so I'd look through the window to see if this was true. I'm lucky that my house is L-shaped and my bedroom is at the end of the short part of the L. The entire back of the house is glass, so I can see virtually all of it from my bedroom window.

If I can't see anything wrong with the area reported by the alarm, I will shut it off, gather the kids into our bedroom, and then wait a while to see if anything develops. I'd have either the pistol or the shotgun at the ready.

Lastly, if the dogs don't freak, I'll put more weight on it being a false alarm, but I'd still trust their instincts should they get 'edgy' while we're waiting. If they look nervous, I'd call the police and barricade in the bedroom with my family behind the armoire.

7. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Call a cleanup crew to pick up what the dogs didn't eat.

8. Carolina Drifter

Carolina Drifter CLM

Get the wife behind a locked door with her gun (bathroom) while checking my gun then start patrol.

9. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Answer the phone when the monitoring company calls. Wait in the master bedroom for the police to show up. 2-3 minutes has been my previous experience.

Allow the cops to clear the house. Survey the damage, file a report. Call homeowner's insurance company in the morning.

10. PBCounty

PBCounty

Before I even get out of bed, I preemptively unload a Mossberg 500 in random directions. I figure that will serve to at least scare the hell out of whoever came into my home, and give me an advantage. I then grab my Ruger 10/22 and clear the house.

11. Swiper

Swiper

Place myself outside the master bedroom on the second floor where I can maintain positive control of the stairs leading up to said floor (to where all bedrooms are located). My wife will check to see if daughter is OK and answer the call from the monitoring company. I will maintain my position until law enforcement has arrived (unless obvious false alarm).

12. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

shoot intruder:dunno:
    shoot alarm:upeyes:
    go back to bed:whistling:

13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

My house is small. Chances are if someone is actually in the house I'll know by the cat's actions. They are scared of strangers and show it.

My primary HD gun is a laser/light equipped .223 Bushmaster, along with a couple laser/light equipped pistols.
    Someone will probably be shoot pretty quick. Hopefully it isn't me.
    Since I live alone anyone I see is a target.

If possible, I will get out of the house. Outside I will have the advantage, over having to gunfight in the small house, and with the rifle I can shoot them as they come out.

14. area727

area727 G23

Since I live in a split floor plan, I'd grab my G23, and move swiftly, and cautiously to the kids rooms to ensure their safety. While the wife stays in bedroom to answer call from ADT.

If the kids werent there, I'd stay put in the bedroom.

15. Steve0853

Steve0853

Step 4: Apologize to cops for 17th false alarm this year.:wavey:

16. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

In the 7 years I've had monitored alarm systems I've had 3 false alarms. Each and every one of those was caused by my lovely fiance' letting a dog out in the middle of the night to pee.

The alarm company calls, we give them the password and the cops, invariably, show up anyway. They are always pleasant and understanding.

I have never actually had a false alarm that I was unaware was a false alarm when it happened. I doubt somehow that most systems give many false positives.

Also, Harris County (where I live) allows 2 false alrams per year before they start charging you ($50 per incident over two in a year).

17. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

I have to pay a damned license fee to even have a burglar alarm. :upeyes:

18. Steve0853

Steve0853

Just jerkin' your chain a little bit, HK....sounds like you've got a pretty good system..

19. Swerved

Swerved Not panicking

And we have a winner... :laughabove:

20. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Honk Honk CLM

I'm yelling "It's on cuz!!!!!!!"