Alan Merrill died of COVID 19 today at 69

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by 1cm, Mar 29, 2020.

1. 1cm

1cm

You probably never heard of him, but you probably heard his most famous song.

2. Jim B in CO

Jim B in CO

I've been listening to that song for about 38 years. I had no idea Joan Jett was doing a cover and didn't write it.:faint:

R.I.P. Mr. Merrill.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    PeterG, spork and Jade Falcon like this.

3. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

Virus got Joe Diffie this weekend. Now John Prine is in critical condition

PeterG likes this.
  4. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

There was another group called the Arrows that preceded this group but they were billed As Davie Allen and the arrows and they had a hit with "Apache 65" which was a cover of an instrumental first done by Hank Marvin and the Shadows in 1960. Davie Allen went on to do music soundtracks including one for "The Wild Angels" (a Roger Corman biker movie with Peter Fonda, Bruce Dern, and Nancy Sinatra) and that produced another hit single in 66.

A friend of mine from high school (we graduated in 66) was Davy Allen's cousin and was trying to learn bass so he could play with the band and became a rock star but never got the gig.

I never hear d of this other band and never knew that they did the original version of the Joan Jett song which I always liked.

The really sad news to me is to hear that John Prine is in critical condition.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020