AL Pencil Barrel with Original Box on GB

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by mtstream, Sep 28, 2020.

1. mtstream

mtstream

2. premiertactical

premiertactical

I will applaud this seller for making his offering even available to those in California.
    It’s not often I see this as it’s about a 50/50 hit and miss on who will deal with that State.

I hope someone snatches it up. So few of the PBS come available each year. Soon I will have the sold for serial number only thread up to better track when and how much they have sold for.

‘Thanks for posting.

superseal, Adam4 and glockhoarder like this.

3. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

It's a great gun and I hope it goes to a great home.

The listing is very well done (few typos need to be corrected).

On the facts re: the following...

"According to the Glock factory reps, there were approximately 25,000 1st generation model 17s imported to the US. Examples have been found with most serial prefixes between AA and EE however, the pencil barrel was standard up only until somewhere in the AM prefix serial bank with most of these guns staying in Europe. AA-AE guns were not imported (other than one-off secondary market importation) and Glock did not make the AG, AI, or AJ prefixes. This leaves only four banks that were predominantly imported to the US: AF, AH, AK, AL."

I would note that approx 500 or so AA were imported.

PB seems to have run the entire AM prefix.

The first few ANs which were imported for ATF approval were likely PBs but this has not been verified (in the weeds detail but I REALLY want to see some of those guns).

There were AG prefix PBs (I have several, just posted a pic of the label of one of them in the P80 thread).

None of this is of any consequence re: the listing but just to offer some info...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    davedc, Adam4, Jayman28 and 1 other person like this.
  4. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

I should add....

If you check out post 168 in the following link, you'll see the label of one of my AG guns.

Further, you'll note that other than the first 200 P80s the rest of the first 25K P80 were made at the same time or later than the first commercial AA and AB guns.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/p80-glock-17.1854572/page-9

L.A.Tactical and Jayman28 like this.
  5. L.A.Tactical

L.A.Tactical

So Ron, the AGs were made then... Were they just not imported?

6. L.A.Tactical

L.A.Tactical

A question for those in the know: this one has a regular slide release cut but has not been upgraded. But I have an AY prefix still with the small cut. Is there a definite cutoff for when that change was made?

7. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Absolutely correct Sir. Never imported, no US markings, no frame SN.

8. Adam4

Adam4

So not all PB's came with "weekend sights?" I had assumed that all the early PB guns had them.

9. premiertactical

premiertactical

I would suggest this had either those weekend or the rear sight with the reliefs.
    The trigger bar is a much later version also.
    At least those two issues with it.

L.A.Tactical, Adam4 and glockhoarder like this.
  10. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Most definitely not.

The weekend sights were designed solely to meet the absurd ATF import points requirement. They were supposedly designed by Glock "over a weekend" to meet this absurd regulation.

Thus, prior to Glock importing guns to the US (prior to the AF) there was no need for them. They were not even invented when the earlier (First run Euro AA - AE) guns were made.

Case in point - just look at the guns on the early manual covers.

Adam4 likes this.
  11. Adam4

Adam4

Ok. Now I know. Thanks GH

glockhoarder likes this.
  12. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

:)

13. L.A.Tactical

L.A.Tactical

I keep learning more from you guys, and now I'm going to have to go look at my PBs... So I know there were many variations on trigger bars. I was only aware of the black ones and the gold ones (like the 1st Gen 17L), but what should this one have. I also don't know enough about the early sights: this one has the staked front sight but fixed rear. Did any pencil barrels come with that configuration? And where any of them brought in after Glock USA had been established? (Assuming that's when they no longer required the adjustable rear)

Adam4 and glockhoarder like this.
  14. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

I'd have to pull a number of guns and look at the FS to answer. Perhaps some others know off hand.

Re: the "need" for adj sights, many guns still need them to be imported. They are installed in Austria, imported, then replaced at Glock w/fixed sights. It's absurd but then so is the absolutely absurd points system.

Adam4 and L.A.Tactical like this.
  15. Adam4

Adam4

Do the PB's with adjustable "weekend" sights make them any more "rare" or not so much? I have an AK SN with the adjustable rear sight. Just curious.

16. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

I wouldn't say more rare per se, but, all other things being equal weekend sights add value to any gun that they're on. I think that the effect is more pronounced on a regular non-PB as the sight is worth a greater percentage of the value of the gun.

Adam4 likes this.
  17. L.A.Tactical

L.A.Tactical

I need to update my website. I've got standardized pics of a lot of guns that need to be posted for comparison. But then we need to make sure we're only dealing with all original examples for verification.

glockhoarder and Adam4 like this.
  18. Adam4

Adam4

Ok. Got it. Thanks

19. premiertactical

premiertactical

Trigger bar variations.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/glock-9mm-trigger-bar-early-variations.1795254/#post-27936316

Interesting most believe the gold and silver colored trigger bars are the same but just different colors.
    The 2 examples I looked at are different.
    Glock kept messing with the shape of the part that contacts the striker block plunger. This was the easiest way to tell differences.

Since this thread I have acquired earlier examples of PBs. The 1st one continues to be in my opinion the first style released in commercial handguns.
    Extremely difficult to find that style. I have never seen one listed for sale.

L.A.Tactical, Adam4 and glockhoarder like this.
  20. L.A.Tactical

L.A.Tactical

So would this be correct bar for an AU prefix? (Sorry, should post in the trigger bar thread except I have two questions) image.jpg
    And then question 2 is circling back to the notch on pencil barrels: this AU has the small notch... So when did those actually change? image.jpg