Akita Husky

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Paradigm, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Paradigm

Paradigm `

Search is down so I am starting this thread to get a little info on Akita Huskys. Anything special about them (such as what they need or want)? Need to be trained so they aren't dangerous to people? Any general info on them?

Also, how much do they typically cost? as much as pure breeds?

Thanks for any info!

EDIT: Also, what height fence would be adequate to hold him/her in a backyard?

2. das028

das028

Beutiful dogs! They will cost as much as a pure breed because the are pure breeds. Anyway, they are very large dogs, and tend to be agressive. Good dogs though, all in how you socialize them. My sister had one and it was the nicest dog in the world.

3. Paradigm

Paradigm `

I thought they were mixed?

What would be a good estimate for their price, $1K? $2K?

4. GAdobemom

GAdobemom

You have Akita's and you have Huskies. An Akita Husky would be a mix breed no matter how you look at it. You should not be charged a high price because it is a mix breed bottom line. Both breeds are large and powerful. Contact AKC and get info on both breeds. You need to do your homework before getting either one of these breeds. They both take a lot of work from training to grooming and everything in between. Good Luck.

5. jpzaf

jpzaf Confused?

I would suggest looking into adopting from a rescue organization. There is likely one in your area. I say this because they have mixed breed dogs that would make a wonderful pet( as opposed to a show dog). The husky is a very active breed. They need to be active every day. I have a 6' fence and my 45lb husky can leap it no problem. Your best bet is to keep them on a leash. Huskies want to run and run, so if they are given the opportunity they will surely do so. They are very smart and independant, they make terrible guard dogs, and will let you know if they disagree with you. Either by telling you or doing whatever they damn well please. As far as taking care of them it's pretty easy. They don't eat as much as you might think, they generally only shed twice a year, a brushing once a week seems to be plenty, and they keep themselves very clean. The only time they smell is when wet. So if you are active and would like a gog that can keep up and make friends where ever you go(at least with people) the husky is a wonderful dog. However, if you do not give them an opportunity to excercise daily they will be miseable and so will you.

Good luck, JP

6. SkippyThe

SkippyThe

Akitas are great dogs loyal and protective. Mine were great with kids and other dogs. They're only as agressive as you raise them to be. Mine wouldn't let anyone they didn't know near the house but once they knew you were ok they were loves. My favorite Akita mix is with a Neufoundland (sp)? . Mine was wonderful freggin huge but a great dog. ST

7. das028

das028

Yeah your right. I thought he was just talking about Akitas. My bad:)

8. Akita

Akita gone

Akitas and Huskies are 2 different purebreeds. Cross them and you merely have a mutt of known parentage.

I deplore the current fad of crossing 2 breeds to make designer dogs to sell. You WILL NOT know which genes/personality/health issues that you will end up with- Akita or Huskie. Most likely it will be ALL of the health problems of both breeds. Genetics isnt the either/or thing that laymen like to think it is.

Please study up a bit more on both breeds if they interest you and pick ONE. And let me warn you, if you've never raised a large or even medium sized dog before, Akitas probably arent for you. Oh yeah- those vet bills can get pretty high an Akita too.

Here's a good place to start:CLIK HERE!
    [​IMG]