AK vs SKS

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by youngvr4, Jan 21, 2010.

1. youngvr4

youngvr4

I own both ak and sks....I honestly cannot label my ak better than my sks.
    I wanted to hear others opinions on the subject.
    I used the search function and did not find the ak vs sks debate.

Many times the ak has been labeled best battle rifle. What makes the ak better than the sks?

2. Hexx

Hexx

3. youngvr4

youngvr4

My sks takes ak mags, many others do als. I currently have a 40 rd mag in my sks

Still, there are 30 rd mags for stock sks's

4. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

They both have their strong points but the 30 round detachable mags and the pistol grip give the AK the edge IMO. Most SKS's don't take reliable 30 round mags aside from the few that were made specifically to take AK mags. Those are as good or better than most run of the mill AK's IMO but they are not common enough.

I don't think one is any more reliable than the other, in general. I have had stoppages with both designs.

The SKS is one of the best values for a semi auto carbine.

5. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

This is a tough one and purely subjective but in a word....firepower. They use different actions and while one is mechanically a rifle, the other (AK) is a machine gun. For range use, I like my SKS better than the either of my AK's. The SKS just functions more smoothly, is more accurate and seems to have about 1/2 the recoil. I dont know if there's anything definitive on the subject but I'm sure the AK could continue to function in environments that the SKS most likely could not. The SKS is no slouch by any means and has to be the most widely distributed and copied carbine to ever see such limited military service. Anyone with an AK should have an SKS and vice versa.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  6. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

I'd have to say that with Tapco's introduction of their aftermarket SKS stocks and (much, much more reliable) detach mags, it's a tough one to call. SKS mag release is still pretty bad, so quick reloads are still not easy. SKS mags in general are also not quite as portable due to that stick-out-thingie.

But as someone has already pointed out, the main fall for the SKS is capacity. If you don't think that's a big problem, or you don't think you'll ever need a giant banana mag attached to your rifle, then I'd say SKS might actually be the better choice... by just a tiny margin.

Both are obviously quite practical and the SKS especially is still a bargain buy.

7. Glock1963

Glock1963

I own 3 Russian SKS rifles and I am very fond of them.

I shot a friend's Yugo AK long enough to know they're not for me. Too choppy for me to shoot comfortably, couldn't get a cheek weld to save my life and the ergonomics of a 2X4.

8. Smashy

Smashy

9. GlockMonk

GlockMonk

For me SKS wins hands down. The AK has an advantage on capacity, and ability to fire full auto. The full auto is out of reach for most shooters, so it's not an issue. Now capacity wise, there are SKS models which takes AK magazines, so the capacity is a non issue.

However, the SKS is much better made with a milled receiver, threaded barrel (some are pinned on) with very little stamped parts, where as the AK is pretty much all stamped metal. The milled receiver AKs are more expensive than your average ARs.

Besides, you could go hunting with the SKS, and nobody cares, where as the AK would get you wierd looks :tongueout:

GlockMonk

10. fowler

fowler

For the common man and homeland defence the sks is perfect for the citizen soldier. Mall ninjas and zombie shooters along with hollywood are not real homeland. A good lever action or bolt gun are enough. Yes the sks is more than enough rifle. fear not!

11. Morley Menthols

Morley Menthols

A very fair question. I owned at one time a dozen new surplus SKS's. I would go to the range, shoot many rounds, with no failures. I also know about the soft metal used in the bolts and bolt carriers. Then one day I loaded the factory mag, looked at where the part of the shell casing rim that the bolt was engaging to shove the round into the chamber. I did not like what I saw. I asked a friend to let me check where on the shell rim that his AK bolt was engaging the round to shove it into the chamber. There is a world of difference. I thought about SKS bolt wear and how many rounds it might be before the bolt would start overriding a round and not pushing it into the chamber, causing a malfunction. Not wanting to find out the hard way, I sold all my SKS's, broke even moneywise, and bought AK's. I can truthfully say I have never had an SKS to malfunction on me nor any AK semi-auto that I own. I still own, shoot, and have full confidence in my AK's. Don't take my word for it, look for yourself.

12. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Take a look at a stamped ak firing in slow motion.The receiver flexes all over the place.Ive owned many variations of ak rifles including a milled legend model.While they have a quicker reset time for each shot and a higher capacity,I can shoot and get more reliable hits past 100 yards with an sks rifle than with an stamped ak in the same caliber.

The other advantage is cost.I think an ak should be cheaper because an sks has many more machined parts and a more solid platform for barrel/receiver strength.But, an ak is more expensive,by far.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  13. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

That one word right there, means alot. Many reasons the AK is a better BATTLE rifle, but not neccessarly a better RIFLE, if that makes sense. As civilians, most of us will never see a real AK. The select fire and high mag capacity are what make it a better BATTLE rifle than an SKS.

14. Glock1963

Glock1963

What brand SKS were you shooting when you noticed this?

15. hogarth

hogarth

I like the SKS. But if I had to get one or another, I'd get the AK. Why? The SKS at $150, as they were easily available a few years back, sure. But now that I'm seeing them for $250, $275, $300, why not just spring for a few more bucks and get a WASR? Heck, I got my Saiga/Arsenal a month ago for $549, which isn't that much more than some of the SKS prices I've been seeing. Mags are cheap, it's quicker to load than an SKS, most SKS can't run reliably with hicaps, and if you decide to trick out your SKS with aftermarket stocks and such, you're basically turning it into an AK, so why not just get an AK?

Those are my thoughts. Others may have other opinions.

16. youngvr4

youngvr4

here is my norinco sks and my ewbank ak47..... as you can see, capacity is not a problem.

[​IMG]

also they make the 30rd mags for the sks, so for the most part capacity is not the issue
    [​IMG]

17. medres97501

medres97501

SKS Might Be A Little More Accurate

[​IMG]

18. Seattle206

Seattle206

ak47 for me. shorter, easier to manuever, and will take 5rd-75rd mags. sks is a good rifle no doubt, slightly more accurate but the limited capacity and the combersome size is its disadvantage compared to the ak.

19. rfd339

rfd339

Im 50\50 on this one . I have a Norinco Mak90 and Sks and both are great. The Mak I give the high marks for the 30rd mags and a joy to shoot but the Sks (stock) I give the same . To add my Sks cost me $99 and the Mak90 was $199 back in 1990 and got them both new at a ROSES department store.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  20. Glocker08

Glocker08

I think another thing that gives the AK an advantage is the availability of aftermarket parts/accessories.(should one need them,probably won't) It's like a Glock/XD kind of thing I suppose.I definitely wouldn't mind having a good SKS though.