AK/ Bushnell Trophy dot range report (pics)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Berto, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Berto

Berto woo woo

I have a Romanian SAR3, an AK in 5.56NATO. I liked the gun and felt it had more accuracy potential than the open sights allowed.
    So after shopping around, I decided to go with the Bushnell 1x32 mil-dot scope...consumer reviews were pretty strong on it and its $200 price matched up well for this gun.
    The general opinion is it's well built and tough, holds zero and has a generous field of view with a sharp T reticle with adjustments for low light, green or red.
    I used the Ultimak gas tube rail as a mount, it's solid.

[​IMG]

At the range, I started at 50yrds first, to get on paper and dial in the scope. I started out rough and required a bore sight- not easy with the parallax created by 2.5" + over the bore line.
    Luckily, the rangemaster got on me on the paper, 5" left POA on the first shot, so I went from there getting things dialed....I used Wolf crappy 62gr FMJ for this, then switched to better Turkish made brass cased 62gr ammo once I was more consistent.

My last couple efforts at 50yrds got me a few fair 5 shot groups with the Wolf posting 2.5" and the Turkish stuff a decent 1.5" group, right on the money. The 'dot' can't be more than 2MOA, so despite having no magnification, it enabled a bit more precision than what one might expect from dot scopes.

[​IMG]

I felt ready to move out to 100yrds. I knew the parallax would probably affect POI/POA dramatically at 100yrds, it did, I was about 8" high. Used what was left of the turks to dial in at 100yrds.
    At the cease fire, I put up the square shoot-n-C target over the old bullseye, and broke out my Hornady TAP 75gr ammo.
    Someone suggested I reheat the barrel before going to paper, so two rounds went in the backstop....dunno if that mattered or not.
    The remaining 18 TAP's went into a 6" group, listing left of center, and throwing out the two worst fliers (and some did 'fly', my fault) had 16 into 4".
    Again, no magnification, dot scope and a gritty trigger. Not bad, really.

[​IMG]

I'll continue to mess with this setup and see what different loads yield as far as accuracy goes, but the gun seems pretty decent so far.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. steve1911

steve1911

looks good.

1911club#410

3. Surt

Surt Jötunn-Kin

How's that forward mounting doing for your eyes?

4. deadite

deadite Groovy.

I have a Bushnell Trophy red-dot on my Ruger Mark II and love it.

Nice shooting!! :)

deadite

5. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

Not bad. What's the rate of twist on that barrel?

6. awpk03s

awpk03s

Very nice. I had that exact setup on my AK.

7. Berto

Berto woo woo

Pretty sure it's a 1 in 9

Surt,

The forward mount works OK with this scope, eye relief is no issue. I won't as far as to say it's ideal, but I have no problem picking up the target quick and it definitely helps with precision over the irons.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  8. eddief4

eddief4

very nice set up! that's a good gun to do it too.

wasn't there a company that made a holographic sight for the AK, that goes in exchange of the rear site?:headscratch:

9. Berto

Berto woo woo